5th gen hd tuners available?

giveuspurehd

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 14, 2004
hello ,
im looking into getting a new hd tuner.im currently have the voom stb, but the channels that i really want will not come in on a consistent basis.i was reading sound & vision and they talked about new 5 th gen tuners coming out that pulled in pictures on weak signals or signals with alot of multipathing issues.im to the point where i could go higher with the antenna. and see if that did it, but i dont want the guy cables and all that mess, cost, etc , to find out it did not work.i have the biggest amplified winegard that they sell.the signal on both stations i want jump from 40-90 in the day time and are stable at night at 99.i also installed a rotor system as well.i just wish i could end all the headaches and find a 5th gen tuner.i have looked all over the net and the only thing i see is the dtv mpeg 4 stb with a 5th gen tuner in it.my luck would have it that i went with dish network until all this mpeg 4 stuff blows over.if anyone has any suggestions i would truly like to hear from you.

This may sound stupid but are you over amplifing your signal? I had a similar problem and found that my signals on a couple of channels were being overloaded. Funny thing is that at night when I usually tried to fine tune my system the signals leveled out and quit jumping all over the place and during the day they would go haywire. I finally got the chance to work on it during the day and noticed if I turned down the power on my amp my signal not only stopped jumping but actually increased.

The jumping signal could be an over-amplification problem or it could be a multi-path problem. If the latter, the 5th generation tuners are supposed to do better in that environment. As to just locking a weak signal, the earlier generation ATSC tuners will do as well or better because they are less discriminating than the latest technology. That is, they try to lock everything, which is why they've done poorly in multi-path situations.

I'd experiment with the signal off my antenna during the day time before I invested in another tuner. Cut the pre-amp output if possible or insert a 6 db Radio Shack attenuator on the pre-amp output and see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts