$6.99 pay per view

What I don't understand is, Dish doesn't have to buy, install, maintain, and constantly restock vending machines nor transport physical media all over the country like Redbox does, yet they charge 4x as much for a movie rental. If the HD movies were $2.99 (still twice as much as Redbox) I would rent from Dish a lot. As it is, I have never rented a movie from Dish. They are obscenely overpriced compared to Redbox, which has a machine 2 blocks away from my home at the 7 Eleven.

The fact they are charging for films on hbo or even tv is pathetic both companies do it though. Beethovens christmas was on Disney few weeks ago and it was new on ppv why charge for those type films when you can watch it for free on a channel.

It comes down to a lot of people are stupid and as long as they are willing to pay that price they will sell it. :eek:

Maybe they're trying to entice people to go to their Blockbuster stores ! :) Better hope they don't pass any Redbox kiosks on the way though...

Sent from my ADR6400L

Dish licenses the PPV rights to the movies they show from the studios. It doesn't seem that the prices they negotiated have kept up with the recent changes in the home video landscape. I suspect this is why some of the studios have 30 day windows with both Redbox and Netflix, to protect the lucrative PPV window they have with Dish and other providers. The industry is rapidly changing, and in an era when you can stream HD movies day and date with their DVD release from Amazon or iTunes for $2.99, the traditional PPV business is really in trouble.

I would love to go to a store like blockbuster but all stores near me are gone. Netflix is so much better.

I would love to go to a store like blockbuster but all stores near me are gone. Netflix is so much better.

:confused: So how many Netflix stores are near you? :confused:

I had Platinum. BBMP is just "free." Might even use it one day.

Why would I use blockbuster online or even the streaming when I can get the way better Netflix which actually has streaming on it. Blockbuster had the upper hand with stores open now that none are open anywhere in Florida really who gives a crap about them when Netflix is so much better. So no I don't use blockbuster anymore and it's their fault by shutting down stores in Florida.

Why would I use blockbuster online or even the streaming when I can get the way better Netflix which actually has streaming on it. Blockbuster had the upper hand with stores open now that none are open anywhere in Florida really who gives a crap about them when Netflix is so much better. So no I don't use blockbuster anymore and it's their fault by shutting down stores in Florida.
Netflix is a great service. But you aren't going to get new releases on it right away, so that is apples to oranges.

I use Vudu as well. I have a PS3 in the living room and use Vudu there. I bought an Apple TV for the bedroom. The prices are usually the same for movies.

I might order PPV from Dish if they would at least price match Amazon Instant Video!

Both my Dish Vip622 and my Panasonic 55" plasma TV are connected to the internet. I can either order a PPV rental from Dish, or my Panasonic "Viera" TV can connect directly to my Amazon Instant Video account. If I want to rent a new movie, Immortals for example, here is the difference:

Dish - SD-$4.99, HD-$6.99 for a 24-hour rental

Amazon - SD-$3.99, HD-$4.99 for a 48-hour rental

Why would I ever order a PPV movie from Dish?

PPV are for the lazy rich ! One DTV customer of my who has more money then any i have done in the past and is part of the industry PPV on his bill pre VOD was $300-600 a month . Last visit i was floored at a $1,098 bill some XXX and with out his PPV/VOD addiction should be about $206. Not sure what his vudu and Kaleidescape bills are but they must be about the same.

Dish would charge what ever others are willing to pay. Your extra box/TV/Tuner/What ever fee is only payed to dish and your pkg price is what the studio and channel owners get a peace of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts