Status
Please reply by conversation.

Christopherve7alb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Victoria BC
Hey All,

Wondering what you guys think about using a 6' dish for 125W. I'm specifically interested in NWCN on 3900. According to the footprint I should have no trouble with a 180cm dish, however I have read a lot about adjacent satellite interference being an issue with these smaller dishes. I've checked Lyngsat and and can see that there is a transponder on the same frequency (3900) on 127W but it's DC2, rather then DVB. Nothing on that frequency from 123W.

Long story short, will it be worthwhile trying to pick this transponder up on a 6' or should I try to acquire a larger dish from somewhere?

Reactions: hank123
Bigger is always better.

Put her up and try. Its easy to change dishes as long as its the same mount size.

The issue is I don't have a c-band dish yet. I can source a 6' locally but 8' or larger is going to have to be ordered online (crazy shipping fees). If I can make do with a 6' I'd rather save the $400ish and go that route :)

Hey All,

Wondering what you guys think about using a 6' dish for 125W. I'm specifically interested in NWCN on 3900. According to the footprint I should have no trouble with a 180cm dish, however I have read a lot about adjacent satellite interference being an issue with these smaller dishes. I've checked Lyngsat and and can see that there is a transponder on the same frequency (3900) on 127W but it's DC2, rather then DVB. Nothing on that frequency from 123W.

Long story short, will it be worthwhile trying to pick this transponder up on a 6' or should I try to acquire a larger dish from somewhere?
If you look at the footprint on Satbeams for Galaxy 14 (http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?position=235) you can see that you fall well within the footprint. If you zoom in and click your location on the map it recommends a 66.9" minimum dish size. Now while it would appear that a 72" dish would work fine there are many factors involved. Not all signals on a satellite will be received at the same level - some are stronger, some are weaker. The quality of the dish comes into play. Also any terrestrial interference that may be in the area will affect reception. Hopefully someone in or near your area can confirm stable reception with a 6' dish but barring that, as others have said bigger is better with fta. Sorry to not be able to give a more definitive answer. :)

The issue is I don't have a c-band dish yet. I can source a 6' locally but 8' or larger is going to have to be ordered online (crazy shipping fees). If I can make do with a 6' I'd rather save the $400ish and go that route :)

Search around your area.You can probably find a used 10 ft dish for little or nothing.
Some ppl actually pay to have them removed...but I haven't met one of those yet. ;)
I have a 7.5' mesh, 10' mesh, 10' perf. and a 12' mesh. Total paid for ALL dishes? $100...which was for the 12 footer. (Only 1 dish mounted so far though)

Reactions: FTA4PA
If the 6' dish has a polar mount, I'd say get it and try it. If it doesn't suit your needs, the polar mount could be used for a 1.2m offset.

I have a 7.5' mesh, 10' mesh, 10' perf. and a 12' mesh. Total paid for ALL dishes? $100...which was for the 12 footer. (Only 1 dish mounted so far though)
I'm in the same boat. It's amazing how projects can start pilling up in such a short time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts