6 foot dish and partial LOS issues.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Up by our lake house, there is someone who has a 10 foot dish on their roof :eek:

I checked the specs on the dish and this might turn out for the better. With the angle the dish needs to be I checked and the dish will be about 3 ½-4 feet off the ground so this just might work.

I have a couple more questions from Sadoun (ie: shipping) and we might have a C-band dish come next week. I’ll keep ya all posted

Iceberg said:
Up by our lake house, there is someone who has a 10 foot dish on their roof :eek:

I checked the specs on the dish and this might turn out for the better. With the angle the dish needs to be I checked and the dish will be about 3 ½-4 feet off the ground so this just might work.

I have a couple more questions from Sadoun (ie: shipping) and we might have a C-band dish come next week. I’ll keep ya all posted

Don't forget about E-bay. Sadoun has the dishes on Ebay. Shipping to Baltimore, MD, is about $90.00. The current price on one sale ending today is $99.00 with a buy it now price of $135.00

Rjc
I know. That’s the weird thing though.

Order from them directly at sadoun.com and its 135 bucks + about 35 to ship to Minnesota
Go through Ebay and they have them starting at 99 cents but 90 bucks to ship to MN?

I have a feeling the 99 cent start price ones are mistakes.

Iceberg said:
Rjc
I know. That’s the weird thing though.

Order from them directly at sadoun.com and its 135 bucks + about 35 to ship to Minnesota
Go through Ebay and they have them starting at 99 cents but 90 bucks to ship to MN?

I have a feeling the 99 cent start price ones are mistakes.
I think they are legit. They post 'em over on their forums:

http://www.sadoun.net/viewtopic.php?t=4

Shawn

Ice,

If you're looking at the Fortec 6-footer, you might want to consider their 8-foot model (provided the HOA does not freak out).
I have compared both of these models, and the extra 2 feet makes a huge difference in digital reception. You can get away with cheap feedhorns or LNBFs using the 8 foot model, but the 6-footer is going to be a huge challenge to reduce the sidelobes in 2° spacing situations. Be quite wary of the mounting structure (I wish they would consider a "normal" polar mount with 3" mast pipe), as it resembles an empty barrel framed by tubular metal, and is quite top heavy.

Remember basic mathematics for clearances: 45 degrees is halfway between vertical and horizontal, so every foot up needs a foot back to clear. If trees are an issue, eyeball from the bottom of the dish, measuring same 45 degree formula, and you'll have lots of clearance that should buy you 5-10 years of tree growth. The bottom of the dish needs to make the same signal contribution as the rest of the dish, and if you measure clearances from the center, the bottom may end up being partially blocked. There is absolutely no tolerance for missing signal on a C-band installation if using a 6-footer. The 8-foot model gives you a bit of leeway under similar circumstances. It's all about math----so many dB of signal is required for good reception.

6ft Dish

Have you thought about making a 3ft by 4ft extension on your deck to get more sats or 1 of those dish umbrellas that you cover the dish up to confuse your HOA. I also have the same problem with HOA in AZ or I would have a 10ft dish up know.

Bud

I used to have a 6 footer offset prodelin one piece fiberglass dish that I used for
g10R and Amc-4

I used a 20 degree astrotel prime focus lnbf on it , yes I know you should not use a prime focus lnbf on an offset dish - but it worked great! Strong signals from all sats but boy, was that dish heavy, it was a real piece of lead.

I now have a SAMi 7.5' footer that i use for DVB and 4dtv. it works great, I even get great reception on G1 hbo/cinemax digitals.

The only time I had problems with the 6 footer was when i was watching amc-3 digital feeds, adjacent satellite interference killed my reception part of the time.
But i was using the wrong feedhorn. This could have been the problem.

Good luck with your Bud iceberg, you will enjoy it.:)

rjc3895 said:
Ice,
PM me if you go through with this and have success. I was thinking of doing the same thing. My dilema is not being able to move the dish to different satellites without going outside and manually moving this dish.

Does your dish have a mount where you can add an accuator ( polar mount ) ?

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Does your dish have a mount where you can add an accuator ( polar mount ) ?

Wyr

I don't believe the dish we are discussing in this thread is capable of attaching a polar mount. I may be wrong. It looks as if the ground mount has knobs for adjusting the elevation.

The beauty of this 6ft dish and the larger 8ft dish is the price. I could purchase the 8ft dish + shipping for under $290.00 or the 6ft dish for under $170.00. So the real question is will I be better off paying the extra $120 for the 8 ft dish? I'm sure if I played with this dish enough I could figure out a way to mount the dish to add an accuator.

fulszjep said:
Have you thought about making a 3ft by 4ft extension on your deck to get more sats or 1 of those dish umbrellas that you cover the dish up to confuse your HOA. I also have the same problem with HOA in AZ or I would have a 10ft dish up know.

negatory. If I want ot add on to my deck, I have to go through the HOA for that (to get permission). Plus they probably wouldnt like to see 3 decks the same and one 4 feet farther out :)

rjc3895 said:
I don't believe the dish we are discussing in this thread is capable of attaching a polar mount. I may be wrong. It looks as if the ground mount has knobs for adjusting the elevation.
that was one of the questions I asked Sadoun and there is an elevation knob so you dont need a polar mount :)

The beauty of this 6ft dish and the larger 8ft dish is the price. I could purchase the 8ft dish + shipping for under $290.00 or the 6ft dish for under $170.00. So the real question is will I be better off paying the extra $120 for the 8 ft dish? I'm sure if I played with this dish enough I could figure out a way to mount the dish to add an accuator.
exactly. Yes I could get an 8 footer, but is it really worth 120 (or more) bucks??

heck, some of the really strong stuff people have picked up with a 40" Primestar dish...I think a 6 footer would be fine for most C-Band digital

Like I say, I'm not going to get a 4DTV and use this as my main setup, I just want it for the extra C-Band stuff I might get :D

<< Plus they probably wouldnt like to see 3 decks the same and one 4 feet farther out >>

And to top it off a BUD sitting there on that newly extended deck. The HOA would love it. NOT

But I like the umbrella Idea. Does anybody know if those are still made and if they are who sells them?

Iceberg said:
that was one of the questions I asked Sadoun and there is an elevation knob so you dont need a polar mount :)

exactly. Yes I could get an 8 footer, but is it really worth 120 (or more) bucks??

heck, some of the really strong stuff people have picked up with a 40" Primestar dish...I think a 6 footer would be fine for most C-Band digital

Like I say, I'm not going to get a 4DTV and use this as my main setup, I just want it for the extra C-Band stuff I might get :D

Look for a freecycle.org group for your location . I scrounged 3 dishes . FREE !

Wyr

kbghdg said:
But I like the umbrella Idea. Does anybody know if those are still made and if they are who sells them?

I "Googled" the Dish Umbrella the other day and I found a website that might have them. Here is that link, http://www.satellitedish.com/cover.htm . I did install one several years ago but it is long gone now. One of the drawbacks I found was the Horizion to Horizion dish mover HAD to be used and they are even harder to find.
Good Luck
Bryan SR

bryansr said:
I "Googled" the Dish Umbrella the other day and I found a website that might have them. Here is that link, http://www.satellitedish.com/cover.htm . I did install one several years ago but it is long gone now. One of the drawbacks I found was the Horizion to Horizion dish mover HAD to be used and they are even harder to find.
Good Luck
Bryan SR

Thanks for the info I will tell me friend with the HOA about it. He currently has a 48inch channelmaster in the yard and has not heard any complaints yet but he is a little weary of putting up a c-band dish. I am fortunate to live where their is no HOA. If I did I think I would be in trouble as I have a 10ft,6 ft,dish 500,2 dish 300 and a 30 inch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts