6 foot or 8 foot?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Ok guys is there much of a signal increase going from a six foot dish to an eight? I'm toying with the idea of maybe switching out the panels etc... No way I can do a 10 footer. It's too difficult to move my 8.5 Paraclipse it's pretty much stuck where it is on 97W. There is a noticable difference between the 6ft Fortec and the 8.5 foot Paraclipse at least on 97W. Blind

Hi, do you have a DVB-S2 receiver and do you like sport feeds? If so bigger is better as I can often just lock the S2 HD feeds. It seems to take over 70% signal Q to lock the 9/10 FEC stuff. If you are not trying to get the S2 feeds then the bigger dish might not pay off. Hope this helps, DC

On my 6 footer here in Minneapolis I get probably 97/98% of the DVB stuff up there

There are some 7/8 FEC channels that are a bugger for me to get.
As DC noted, S2 chanenls are harder to get especially with the 6 footer. I can get some of the stronger items but 9/10 FEC....forget it ;)

I haven't run the link budgets, but I'd go for the 8 foot dish (conditions equal between the 8 and 6 footers) because you'll get a little bit more 2 deg separation of the c-band sats. Ideally 9 or larger is best if the dish is in great shape so you can pull out one c-band sat at a time.

Most S2 signals need to be very clean to receive, so if you have some slight co-satellite interference, you are going to have issues.

seriously, now . . .

Ok guys is there much of a signal increase going from a six foot dish to an eight?
. . . There is a noticable difference between the 6ft Fortec and the 8.5 foot Paraclipse at least on 97W.
I think you answered your own question.
I'm toying with the idea of maybe switching out the panels etc...
This is I did not understand.
There is no dish you can do that on, to my knowledge.

It's too difficult to move my 8.5 Paraclipse it's pretty much stuck where it is on 97W.
Is this a mesh?
'Cause the only one in that size that comes to mind is the Hydro.
And if you -have- a Hydro, go find a proper H-H motor for it!!!

Second choice, go dish-hunting for a nice 8'er.
Just drive around, take notes, and then ask at the best houses.
Lots of us got outstanding dishes that way!

Thanks Guys. With the six footer I get some of the stronger S2 network stuff. No RTV on 87W barely a beep on either T.P on that one. Anole my thought was to switch the panels on a Fortec from a six to eight foot..I'd have to change the mount for the lnb etc...focal distance etc.... Then I'd do away with the Paraclipse altogether. The Paraclipse needs a decent post $35...not counting concrete. Acuator at over $100. So I figure I'd have another $150 in that old dish. Yep its a mesh. I'm guessing its a classic? I looked at a bunch of pictures but the size of my vintage 1985 model Paraclipse doesn't exist. Oh well maybe for the cost I'll look for a larger B.U.D ...oh the wife will love me for that one! lol....Blind:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts