6' Prime Focus C-Band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok, lot's of good advice. I learned allot ... Thank You All! Now, all I need to do is to figure out where I can plant
the 6' dish. It's gonna have to go on the roof somewhere. I have young kids here so if I mount it within their reach I'd be realigning it daily (>: I'd imagine the Ku signals on the 6' dish must be huge. The majority of the Ku signals on my GeoSat
Pro 90cm dish are in the 75% range (with the exception of OETA, which comes and goes).

When I get ready to buy, I'll send out a post and ask your opinion of my choices! Your expert advice and guidance is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

I also have a 90cm dish for just ku and i find that the signal strength on that is almost as strong as on my 6 ftr.It seems that in my case a bigger dish than 3 ft didnt really make much difference in what i got on the ku side.Not sure but i think bigger dishes >90cm dont really make much of a difference when it comes to receiving ku signals.Chime in gang if you feel this is a incorrect statement.A 6 ftr on c-band will get you alot of satellite stations but not all. PS you came to the right site for satellite hobby!

No problems with local ordinances or a HOA?

Can I suggest a fence, on the ground, around the dish. Even a 6 ft dish is quite a sail in the wind. Don't want it flying off into the neighbors. :eek:
If that's not an option, suggest a pole sunk into the ground [with cement] and bracketed to a sturdy point on a building.(house??)

"On the roof" is a tough row to hoe.
If you have a strong flat roof, then a NPRM is the way to go (non penetrating roof mount).

A proper pole set in concrete, strapped to the eaves, might be a consideration.
(as already recommended)
They can be hard to get to for adjustment and alignment.

The best bet is a reasonable height ground-mount. (pole in a hole with concrete)
Say, about 6, 7, 8 feet of pole above ground.
Should be enough to avoid small children.

Then "education" can take over as they grow.
If they mess up the dish, just deny them their shows 'till you have a chance to realign.
They'll soon catch on. ;)

Oh, and while I don't recommend 6' dishes, at least don't take any other shortcuts.
Put a C-band only LNBF on it....not a dual band.
Technically a C band only ortho feed would be better, but that's like putting lipstick on a pig. ;)

miss_piggy_487555.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)