612 compatable with ehd transfer to hopper???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sca

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
cookieland!
are 612 recordings compatable for ehd transfer to hopper?
if so, is anyone aware of the absulte cheapest device to use? i have ONLY ONE recording i need to save...it is irreplacable.

great, can anyone point me out to a really cheap ehd that will work?? i have been serching but i'm not clear on what type of ehd is compatable.

great, can anyone point me out to a really cheap ehd that will work?? i have been serching but i'm not clear on what type of ehd is compatable.
There are no really cheap HDs right now due to the floods in Thailand last fall. Probably be mid summer before we see prices we had prior to. Whatever you get, make sure it has it's own power supply. Shop the net.

thats the issue i am having, found several on amazon and tiger direct but the product specs are really poor. none say if they are self powered. any other way to transer just one 2 hour recording?

thats the issue i am having, found several on amazon and tiger direct but the product specs are really poor. none say if they are self powered. any other way to transer just one 2 hour recording?
Since your needs are minimal, ask friends, family or co-wokers if the have any old, retired SATA internal drives collecting dust. 50 GB is minimum. I'll bet you find one in no time.
Then, get one of these:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HDeIFEEnlXR7jUCMw&sig2=w0pKjlQPfAWFR3mnFr9ABA

Last edited:
Just a suggestion once you decide which EHD to get. If the recording is irreplacable leave it on the EHD. DO NOT TRANSFER IT TO THE HOPPER. Me and several others on this board have lost recordings moving previously recorded programs from the EHD to the Hopper. So far there does not seem to be any pattern (specific receiver etc.) or any solution. Playing right from the EHD is fine and moving between the Hopper and EHD going forward is fine.

VIP to Hopper

I'm using a WD 1TB My Book AV which worked good on my old 612/722K and new Hoppers. It's a little more expensive than some but it's designed to be used with AV equipment.

I see from your post that you upgraded from VIP's to the Hopper. My question is were you able to save you content from the VIP's onto a(n) External HD(s) and the access that content from the Hopper after activation or did it reformat the drive(s) and you lose everything?

Thanks in advance

Dave Koerner

If the EHD was connected with a dvr model, you should be fine. Although there have been posts you couldn't watch after transferring to the Hopper. Work around was to leave recording on the EHD and play from there. EHD from non-dvr (211, 411) will be reformated.

To continue the thought of loubon, if the recording is irreplacable, connect a DVD recorder and burn some copies of it while you can. It's not a matter of if, but when, a hard drive will fail.

Agreed. I would most definitely record it to a DVD burner. Once you know it's a good copy, you can experiment with moving it to the Hopper.

Is it SD?

i dont have a dvd burner except on the computer...i'm sure i could input that information into my pc somehow...might take a little thinking. i know it ha hdmi out, i have to see if there is any type of video input.

sca said:
i dont have a dvd burner except on the computer...i'm sure i could input that information into my pc somehow...might take a little thinking. i know it ha hdmi out, i have to see if there is any type of video input.

You would need a capture card...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Did you even bother to consider my suggestion in post #7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)