612 loud in the middle of the night

pfan1981

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Green Bay, WI
Our 612 "resets" or whatever in the middle of the night. Is this normal for receivers? Also, if we are dvr-ing 2 things but watching a previous recording it will freeze up and do the same thing, which causes the two recordings to have a 5 minute gap in them. Is this a known problem with the 612 or should I call DISH?

Thanks, pfan

Restarting in the middle of the night, every night, is normal for all the current generation of DVRs, although it doesn't make any sense to me.

Crashing when trying to watch one program and record two isn't normal. I have no idea whether it's a common problem with the 612 because I have a 622, but it certainly isn't in the design parameters.

Go to Menu, 8, 4, and change the update time to a better hour for you. By default updates occur at 3:00 am but you can change that to 8:00 am or any other time that works for you. The receiver will reboot so you don't want a time that you will be watching TV.

what about overloading (taping 2 shows and watching a recorded one)? I think we all agree the receiver slows down when dvr-ing shows, but is anyone else having it reset during these times?

I'm thinking it's a safety thing so it doesn't fry, but you miss out on 5-7 minutes of a show (hard with shows like 24). I guess I could "take it easy" when it's working hard recording. I am also changing my reset time to noon.

Thanks,

pfan

I responded in the other thread you posted this in but it should not be locking up and I gave more details and questions.

So you have this dvr inside a cabinet? These dvrs run HOT and need fresh air. I run a usb powered fan to pull hot air out of mine to prevent overheating issues that affect the audio, video, and cause rebooting.

This one is just sitting on an armoire (spelling?) so it should be getting enough air flow for cooling. My 622 is in a audio cabinet and haven't had an issue like this. I will be looking into a usb fan for this one, any suggestions?

I think the hardware/software can't handle all that activity.

pfan

This one is just sitting on an armoire (spelling?) so it should be getting enough air flow for cooling. My 622 is in a audio cabinet and haven't had an issue like this. I will be looking into a usb fan for this one, any suggestions?

pfan

On Thursday nights, I record two sat channels and one OTA channel at the same time and can still watch something from the dvr or ehd no problem.

Thermaltake Mobile usb fan

pfan

Do you have any other device on top or below the receiver? A DVD player?

The 612 in our bedroom has nothing around it. Maybe I could prop it in the air to get airflow underneath it. I have watched a recording while 2 recordings on DISH and 1 recording on OTA w/o issue. But it has reset a few times while I do this. A lot of times I think I overload the receiver with input, meaning, push buttons too fast. We all have can navigate our receivers knowing the next option to push.

I think I will prop my 612 up and get a fan for my 622 in the living room cabinet. I'll try not navigating too fast and see if this corrects the problem.

pfan

The 612 in our bedroom has nothing around it. Maybe I could prop it in the air to get airflow underneath it. I have watched a recording while 2 recordings on DISH and 1 recording on OTA w/o issue. But it has reset a few times while I do this. A lot of times I think I overload the receiver with input, meaning, push buttons too fast. We all have can navigate our receivers knowing the next option to push.

I think I will prop my 612 up and get a fan for my 622 in the living room cabinet. I'll try not navigating too fast and see if this corrects the problem.

pfan

Heat can be a problem but you could be having a signal issue as well. That's why I asked in the other thread:
- What channels are being recorded?
- sat or OTA?
- What time of the day?

These and other data points can indicate where the problem is. Or, it certainly could be a bad receiver.

The only time I have seen my 622 get a little sluggish is if I am recording a bunch and transferring shows to the external USB drives at the same time. Not to mention watching TV.

- What channels are being recorded? BRAVO, NETWORK (DISH), NETWORK (OTA)

- What time of the day? 8pm

Like mike123abc said, I think I am just overworking it with too much at a time. Ideally I will upgrade this both my receivers to 722s or 922s, but need a good deal to do so. Maybe for grins I'll overload on purpose with crappy programming to see if it happens again.

I'll let you know,

pfan

You never know when an OTA is involved.

Is this the only time it locks up? Set up two sat channels to record at the same time and see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts