Looking to sign up with Dish - no phone line though

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dennisi01

Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New Jersey
Hey all, brand new to this site and these forums.. I currently live in western NJ, and have a crummy cable company (Service Electric..bleh) and am looking to make the switch to Dish or Directv.. it looks like I can sign up with Dish for the 100 channel package, bronze HD package, locals, HD DVR and 2 HD receivers for 63.99 a month.. which seems pretty good with no upfront costs either.. now my question is, I do not have a land line in the house, just DSL and a Vonage line.. does the DVR need to be continuously plugged into a phone line? If it does, does it work with Vonage? I am not interested in the pay per view, just avoiding any service interruptions and the 5$ a month charge. Thanks for your help!

I use an ethernet cable to my switch, and it works fine. I am not sure about vonage though... As for your price, be careful, because price increases are looming for the beginning of next month, although it will still probably be a pretty good deal for you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Only dual tuner receivers are required to be connected either by internet through your router or by phone line. I believe E* is about to waive the connection requirement for the first dual tuner on the account.

I have never owned a home phone and I've had dish in 2 houses. I believe you can order PPV over the internet from a PC or the receiver. I have these fees on my bill:

Leased Receiver Fee 7.00
DISH Network DVR Service Fee 5.98
DISH Home Protection Plan (DHPP) 5.99

The DVR service fee may be because I don't have a phone line. I'm really not sure

Oh you don't need to use a phone line? You can hook it up to the internet?

I had the same problem getting dish when I moved into my new apartment. I use my cell phone as my "Home phone" so I had no way of connecting my reciever to a lan line. All you have to do is plug an ethernet cable into the back of your reciever and you are good to go. No $5 fee and no problems, Ive been doing it for 6 months now

If your satellite receivers are not near your router for the internet, you can use a homeplug device. Do a search in this forum on homeplug. I have both a 622 and 722 receivers hooked up this way and it works great.

I have my 722 connected to Ethernet and Phone (Vonage) . No $5 charges here. Ethernet does the call in to Dish. I only bother with the phone line to get the caller ID on my screen.

Mine works fine with Vonage.
P.gif

I have never owned a home phone and I've had dish in 2 houses. I believe you can order PPV over the internet from a PC or the receiver. I have these fees on my bill:

Leased Receiver Fee 7.00
DISH Network DVR Service Fee 5.98
DISH Home Protection Plan (DHPP) 5.99

The DVR service fee may be because I don't have a phone line. I'm really not sure

You know you don't need to pay for that DHPP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)