Looking to sign up with Dish - no phone line though

dennisi01

Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New Jersey
Hey all, brand new to this site and these forums.. I currently live in western NJ, and have a crummy cable company (Service Electric..bleh) and am looking to make the switch to Dish or Directv.. it looks like I can sign up with Dish for the 100 channel package, bronze HD package, locals, HD DVR and 2 HD receivers for 63.99 a month.. which seems pretty good with no upfront costs either.. now my question is, I do not have a land line in the house, just DSL and a Vonage line.. does the DVR need to be continuously plugged into a phone line? If it does, does it work with Vonage? I am not interested in the pay per view, just avoiding any service interruptions and the 5$ a month charge. Thanks for your help!

I use an ethernet cable to my switch, and it works fine. I am not sure about vonage though... As for your price, be careful, because price increases are looming for the beginning of next month, although it will still probably be a pretty good deal for you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Only dual tuner receivers are required to be connected either by internet through your router or by phone line. I believe E* is about to waive the connection requirement for the first dual tuner on the account.

I have never owned a home phone and I've had dish in 2 houses. I believe you can order PPV over the internet from a PC or the receiver. I have these fees on my bill:

Leased Receiver Fee 7.00
DISH Network DVR Service Fee 5.98
DISH Home Protection Plan (DHPP) 5.99

The DVR service fee may be because I don't have a phone line. I'm really not sure

Oh you don't need to use a phone line? You can hook it up to the internet?

I had the same problem getting dish when I moved into my new apartment. I use my cell phone as my "Home phone" so I had no way of connecting my reciever to a lan line. All you have to do is plug an ethernet cable into the back of your reciever and you are good to go. No $5 fee and no problems, Ive been doing it for 6 months now

If your satellite receivers are not near your router for the internet, you can use a homeplug device. Do a search in this forum on homeplug. I have both a 622 and 722 receivers hooked up this way and it works great.

I have my 722 connected to Ethernet and Phone (Vonage) . No $5 charges here. Ethernet does the call in to Dish. I only bother with the phone line to get the caller ID on my screen.

Mine works fine with Vonage.
P.gif

I have never owned a home phone and I've had dish in 2 houses. I believe you can order PPV over the internet from a PC or the receiver. I have these fees on my bill:

Leased Receiver Fee 7.00
DISH Network DVR Service Fee 5.98
DISH Home Protection Plan (DHPP) 5.99

The DVR service fee may be because I don't have a phone line. I'm really not sure

You know you don't need to pay for that DHPP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)