612 or 211 with EHD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ok....the 211 works super with EHD. and yes no add dvr fee.
I dont understand when you talk about the $17.00 rcvr fee.
If you only have ONE rcvr ie a 722, than there is no fee. You will have a DVR fee on a 722, but that's it

Hope that helps

The OP already said he also has a 722 in post 7. If he gets another, that will cost an extra $17.00 per month.

The OP already said he also has a 722 in post 7. If he gets another, that will cost an extra $17.00 per month.
Correct. The 612 is sounding like a poor option, so it is another 722 ($17) or a 211 ($7).

First, I hope that my question has a simple answer and y'all can get back to the question in the OP. I am not yet a Dish subscriber but I am getting very close to pulling the trigger (on Comcast :mad:).

I have been reading a lot of threads about EHD use and various receivers and this one hits as close to the target for my question as any so please pardon the intrusion for a moment. Frankly, after all the reading, I am still confused. My plan is to install a 722K for use with the main HD TV and a second dual tuner HD/SD receiver without a DVR for another HD TV and a SD TV. I would like to be able to move an external HD occasionally from the 722K to the second HD receiver. The advice that I am seeking is, as a new subscriber, which receiver should I choose for that second location? It sure sounds like I need to stay away from the 612.

FWIW, I am patient so if the best solution is to wait for the 922(?) network receiver(s) I can wait for another month or so if necessary. I doubt that is a viable solution for me but I just wanted to leave that door open if you fine folks suggest that I wait.

Thanks!

If by dual tuner you mean dual satellite tuners* then perhaps the VIP 222k would work. Two tuners, supports one HD and a separate SD output, no DVR. One drawback is the 222K is not yet capable of supporting an EHD. And at $14/mo. total fees, you may just spend the extra $3/mo. and get a 722k or 922 - or get two 211Ks for the same price so each TV gets HD.

*Technically the 211K has two tuners, one sat and one OTA (and one TV output).

Last edited:
FYI, I am getting the EA dish put in Thursday to replace my 61.5 dish. I am reluctantly paying the $15 for the service, even though I really should have gotten EA in February 2009 when I had HD added. I will also replace an upstairs 508 with a 211K (1 TB EHD ready to plug in as soon as the install is complete). Thanks for all the info provided in this thread.

My mission is to be able to occasionally physically move and view the HD content on the EHD at a second location where there will be an HD receiver. It won't happen often enough to make me want to deal with the care and feeding of a second DVR at that location. Doing it over a network would be the easiest way but as a newbie to all this I am concerned about the reliability, complexity, and the overall ease of use of the new 922. I don't think that I will ever be considered a power-user either.

Sorry if I am drifting off topic from what I had hoped would be an easy question. I don't want to do that here.

My mission is to be able to occasionally physically move and view the HD content on the EHD at a second location where there will be an HD receiver. It won't happen often enough to make me want to deal with the care and feeding of a second DVR at that location. Doing it over a network would be the easiest way but as a newbie to all this I am concerned about the reliability, complexity, and the overall ease of use of the new 922. I don't think that I will ever be considered a power-user either.

Sorry if I am drifting off topic from what I had hoped would be an easy question. I don't want to do that here.

You can only move the EHD between VIP dvrs, or between 211ks, not between dvrs and 211ks. And they are each their own separate $39 fee to activate for all receivers on the account (one for archiving for dvrs, one to turn 211s into dvrs). So if you want to move hd content you will need two "real" dvrs. But if you get two 211ks then you can move the hard drive between those two, but not the 722, and it will be the same price as a dual anyway, might as well have a box at each tv which will make it future proof if you decide to go hd on the 3rd tv. I think they give you 3 free hd boxes still. The 922 will be able to sling hd, not sure how that will work in terms of tv2, but that might be an option. I would go and read the 922 thread in the technical discussions forum and see if the 922 will meet your needs. Or two 722ks will only be $3 more than a dual or 2 211ks, so that is also an option.

OK, the fog is starting to lift. I think that I see how this puzzle can go together now. Thank you all very much. And thank you to the kind gentleman that sent information via email as well. I do appreciate all of your help. :up I hope that others that find this thread in the future can benefit as well.

Once again, sorry for the intrusion. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)