612 question

moosejr75

Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
nw iowa
I switched back to dish in march after being on Mediacom for years. I like dish much better, but i'm haveing a strange problem with my 612 when it connected to the net it seems to reboot alot or completely lock up. i have to unhook the sat line or un hook the net alot to get it to stop rebooting every 10 min. any ideas what the problem could be?

Before trying lots of things the #1 thing is be sure the receiver is well ventilated. If in any enclosure or next to a wall use a small fan to keep cool.
Could be a grounding issue, especially if your house is older. If course it could be a bad receiver...... My 612's have been running for a long time now with virtually no problems since using a cooling fan.

Also, is your software version L701?

Are you using the LAN connection or just have it hooked up for completeness?

Have you reset your router recently?

Are you using static IP addressing or DHCP on the ViP612?

Do you have media players that are constantly hammering your LAN looking for DLNA servers?

Its hooked up via the router with my bluray player and computer which aren't having any problems. the problem only seems to come when i use on demand. it has plenty of air space and doesn't seem to be overheating.

It could be a faulty receiver,it could also be other things.I have a 612 connected to an ethernet switch that connects to my router.I have had no issues with rebooting.Two things that come to mind,besides what was mentioned in previous posts.I have the 612 plugged directly into the wall outlet,no power strips.If your using a power strip try by passing it.Also,what kind of internet speeds do you have?Before getting the ethernet switch,I had used the netgear usb adapter wireless,also had no issues that way.

Its frontier internet i'm thinking its about 7mps fastest i could get from them here which could be the problem seems to happen the most at night time when there would be the heaviest load.

The 612 has known problems. When I was on Dish, I went through 3 units. Mostly isolated to coax connection from OTA. Shorts something out. You'll have to get another one from Dish, problem won't solve it self

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)