622 and Sling Adapter????

OverRHeads

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Northern Arkansas
I just ended a live chat with a Dish rep about upgrading my receiver from a 622 to a 722 or 922 in order to have "TV Anywhere" (Sling). In passing during our conversation, the rep said that the sling adapter could be used on a 622 also and that I can buy one for $99. Is this true? Will it work for a 622?

Here is that portion of the chat.

I just noticed that you suggested a 622, 722 or 722k and add the sling adapter to it. Can you add the sling adapter to a 622? I thought it only worked with the 722.
(03) HYtech2 Ashley P.8X0: You can add it to VIP 622.
Since I already have the 622, how much would the sling adapter be?
(03) HYtech2 Ashley P.8X0: $99.00 for the sling adapter.
Is that all I need for TV anywhere if my 622 is already connected to the internet?
(03) HYtech2 Ashley P.8X0: Exactly.
(03) HYtech2 Ashley P.8X0: That is the only thing you need if you have internet connected to the receiver.
Ok. I will think about that. Can I order the sling adapter in the Dish Store on your website? I looked in there and did not see it.
(03) HYtech2 Ashley P.8X0: You need to contact us for that.
(03) HYtech2 Ashley P.8X0: You can also contact the nearby retailer for that.
OK. Thanks for your help.
(03) HYtech2 Ashley P.8X0: You are welcome.
(03) HYtech2 Ashley P.8X0: It was wonderful chatting with you! Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

NO . As far as I have read here , the sling adapter is only for the 722/722k series. But I am sure someone else will chime in and say something.

when the 722 came out i thought they said that being black and having a larger hard drive was the only difference between the 622 and the 722 , what changed?

I was told by my manager that the sling adapter can now be used with a 622. Supposedly some software update a few days ago.

I was told by my manager that the sling adapter can now be used with a 622. Supposedly some software update a few days ago.

Your manager? Are you in sales or installation? As far as I've heard so far, it is still only 722(k). I'll try to remember to ask after the meeting tomorrow.

Dish seriously changed the "interchangeability" of the 622 and 722 with the sling adapter. Therefore, they need to provide a reasonable "upgrade" plan for those with 622's seeking to add the sling. I know you can try to work around the process and get a 722 to replace your 622 but as it stands now, you sure aren't guaranteed success. I'd feel better about paying the $200 for the 922 upgrade if it worked better than what I am reading on this forum. They keep improving it, so maybe I'll give it a shot. I had one of the first dvr machines put out by Dish (can't remember the number) and it was very buggy, but, after about a year of upgrades, it was a very solid machine for me.

I chatted with a different rep and they assured me that it definitely would not work with the 622. Thanks for hooking it up and trying! I sure hope they make it available for the 622 soon as I have now talked to two different reps and they are not willing to upgrade me to the 722. Instead I have to buy it for $450! I cannot upgrade under dishin it up because I used that to get eastern arc which required an upgrade from my 322 to 222k. Therefore, until I am eligible again, I am stuck with my 622 with no sling adapter.

I too hope they get it working with the 622. I am eligible to upgrade but they cannot assure that I will receive a 722/722k even if pay to have a tech out to upgrade. DISH needs to get it working with the 622 or give us a definite option to upgrade to a 722/722k.

Your manager? Are you in sales or installation? As far as I've heard so far, it is still only 722(k). I'll try to remember to ask after the meeting tomorrow.
I'm an installer. I have no verification but that's what he said. From other responses sounds like he was mistaken.

I chatted with a different rep and they assured me that it definitely would not work with the 622. Thanks for hooking it up and trying! I sure hope they make it available for the 622 soon as I have now talked to two different reps and they are not willing to upgrade me to the 722. Instead I have to buy it for $450! I cannot upgrade under dishin it up because I used that to get eastern arc which required an upgrade from my 322 to 222k. Therefore, until I am eligible again, I am stuck with my 622 with no sling adapter.

i would call the csr's and tell them your receiver is powering off and on by itself and they'll send a tech out to replace your receiver. Request a DNS technician(as their vans are stocked with at least 2-3 722 receivers per day). When the tech arrives, honestly tell him your intentions on getting a 722 or lie and say the receiver for some reason is working fine now but you would like a new one because you dont want it to happen again. i'm a dns tech and usually would go out of my way for someone regarding a situation like this as would most guys in my shop. Worth a shot if you have the service plan

I'm a retailer for Dish. Sling adapter is not supported with the 622 and for the person saying they'd go to the 922, realize that the 922 is not a dual tuner like the 622 and 722. The second tuner on the 922 is dedicated to the sling online only. You can't watch it on channel 60 or 73 in another room. I'm very disappointed in the 922 after all the hype......

That is incorrect regarding the 922 not having a TV2 option. As of the S110 update or was it S109, the TV2 option has been activated. It works just like a 622, 722, or 722K regarding TV2 out as of now. If you are using the sling portion of it, it does use the TV2 tuner, but this is true of the 722 series with the sling adapter.

I'm a retailer for Dish. Sling adapter is not supported with the 622 and for the person saying they'd go to the 922, realize that the 922 is not a dual tuner like the 622 and 722. The second tuner on the 922 is dedicated to the sling online only. You can't watch it on channel 60 or 73 in another room. I'm very disappointed in the 922 after all the hype......

I guess you've been hiding under a rock for the last month or two. The 922 software has been updated to allow dual output exactly like the 622/722. As a retailer you NEED to keep up with current info for the sake of your customers.

I believe the chipset in the 722/722k is an upgrade from the chipset in the 622.

This may be part of the reason the 622 does not support the sling adapter.

My recollection is that in the last Charlie Chat it was stated emphatically that the 622 could not use the sling adapter.

I believe the chipset in the 722/722k is an upgrade from the chipset in the 622. This may be part of the reason the 622 does not support the sling adapter.
This may be the case, but I am still skeptical. They pulled support for the 622 at the last minute; it was still showing on the website on the day the Sling Adapter was released! So, this last-minute desupport of the 622 argues against your scenario, because they have known about the chipsets in these receivers forever. I think it was a long-term problem, such as marginal power supply in the 622, or thin PC traces going to the USB ports.

I have heard it from the training departments that it was more due to the chipset not being able to handle it. I tend to believe that since I've never had a 622 operate at the same speed as a 722, granted the latest round of software updates has almost crippled the 722...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts