622 Check Switch

bert522

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 30, 2005
Hi Guys,

I'm really stumped and very annoyed. About a week and a half ago, my 622 started having check switch issues. It would recognize one satellite input but not the other and would say that the receiver was not connected to the same satellite although it was one cable with a serparator. I tried a different separator but kept on having the same problem. I called D* and the sent out another 622. This receiver worked fine for a couple of days, and then started behaving just like the first one. BTW, I have three cable runs and they all give me the same issues, plus I have an 811 which recognizes all the satellites without a problem. I can't figure out if its the receiver, cabling or switch problem and I'm at my wits end. An installer is scheduled to come on June 12th, but I've never had any luck with these guys.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks

Bert

PS: I have a dish 500DPP with another 500 pointed at 61.5.

bert522 said:
Hi Guys,

I'm really stumped and very annoyed. About a week and a half ago, my 622 started having check switch issues. It would recognize one satellite input but not the other and would say that the receiver was not connected to the same satellite although it was one cable with a serparator. I tried a different separator but kept on having the same problem. I called D* and the sent out another 622. This receiver worked fine for a couple of days, and then started behaving just like the first one. BTW, I have three cable runs and they all give me the same issues, plus I have an 811 which recognizes all the satellites without a problem. I can't figure out if its the receiver, cabling or switch problem and I'm at my wits end. An installer is scheduled to come on June 12th, but I've never had any luck with these guys.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks

Bert

PS: I have a dish 500DPP with another 500 pointed at 61.5.

I ran into a similar trouble call the other day where the IRD in question was a 625, it would give errors on all other feeds from the LNB. I took the 311 which worked fine on the original feed the 625 was originally on, and it worked fine.

I took the 625 and ran a test line straight to the LNB and it would give errors.

Turns out the 625 was bad and DPP Twin needed to be replaced.

Similar problem here with a 622. No problem with 61.5... mostly 110. Also, we have warmer weather now (100F predicted this week) about the same time the problem got worse.
I hope it's only the Twin LNB...time will tell. I plan to check some connections up there and then call Dish.

BTW, the 500 being used for 61.5 has a DP LNB, not a Plus. Is that right?
I can't see how that would be related to this specific problem.

"the 500 being used for 61.5 has a DP LNB, not a Plus. Is that right?"

For single satellite locations there are only DP Duals and DP Singles. There isn't any DPP Plus for single sat. locations. Not needed if you ask me.

RandallA said:
"the 500 being used for 61.5 has a DP LNB, not a Plus. Is that right?"

For single satellite locations there are only DP Duals and DP Singles. There isn't any DPP Plus for single sat. locations. Not needed if you ask me.

make sense, thanks for the info!

Correct, it's a DP LNB. BTW if I run a check switch at night with only one connection, all sats. come up OK for that connection. I'm thinking or hoping that its a LNB issue and it will get resolved. The wife is not very happy right now.

Interestingly, since I reset the menu to FACTORY DEFAULTS after the last power reset, everything is much better. I did go in again, of course, and set up my preferences.. ... fingers still crossed...I had seen this suggested once on a forum..(maybe this one?)..not sure why it should work.. time will tell

I had a slightly similar but bizarre problem with my 625.

I currently have 2 lines of my DP 500 Quad LNB going into my DP34. I used to have DirecTV and when i moved some of the equipment upstairs, i used an existing feed of 59 to go from the central point of all my lines up into that room, seeing as each room was pre-run for 59. This worked just fine for the old DirecTV equipment. I later moved the equipment from that room, to the completed theater, but i added a new box at the same time, so, i just pulled the coax through the other room via a nice hole in the wall. Later i added a TiVo and ran a brand new RG-6 line.

When we installed the 625, the installer said the RG59 would be ok for standard content, so, he went ahead and used it as is. Last month while watching TV i noticed my signal went out..and it didn't come back. It came up with a switch error, and when i ran check switch, the one input came up bad. So, i swapped ports, problem moved. So, i went to the basement and switched the wires around, which, didn't move the problem, but fixed it. So, I figured either the switch might be going bad and the 59 is too much drop or i had a bad connector, after replacing the connector, an hour later, it dies again.

Long story short, I wound up having to replace the 59 drop with some RG6, it's not a single drop, but, all the couplers are easily accessable.

I also added a line for my uncle a few years ago and about a month afterwards, the RG6 drop just...quit working.

I always say check the coax first, it's the cheapest, albiet not the easiest to replace.

Or could it be a Dish 1000 issue?

I set up my own Dish 1000 w/ a DPP and the extra single on the side - in anticipation of getting HDTV. Currently I'm only running a single 508 DVR off that dish ( I'm running a 301 off another Dish 500 dish). Recently I've had to do a checkswitch several times - mostly to get the 110 sat. I've had to run chechswitch 2 or 3 times in a row - and then it will recognize 110. Sometimes it will only recognize 1 polarity of 110 - either way - I lose a bunch of channells and the wife gets P.O.ed. Of course the Dish 500 on the 301 always works fine. I'm thinking it is something with the DPP on the Dish 1000 that is not switching properly - to either cause the LNB to switch, or recognize it when it does switch. Could be a software issue - but I'm thinking it's the DPP on the 1000.

hdaddikt said:
Interestingly, since I reset the menu to FACTORY DEFAULTS after the last power reset, everything is much better. I did go in again, of course, and set up my preferences.. ... fingers still crossed...I had seen this suggested once on a forum..(maybe this one?)..not sure why it should work.. time will tell

hdaddikt,

For some reason that seemed to work, at least for now. Maybe they should hire you for Tech Support.

I've had some "check switch" issues on my 622 too. Does the "factory defaults" button erase any recordings or timers? Just want to know before I try that.

jcvaughan said:
I've had some "check switch" issues on my 622 too. Does the "factory defaults" button erase any recordings or timers? Just want to know before I try that.

My box was so new I hadn't set up any timers or favorites so I couldn't tell you. Sorry.

Kelton,

Did you try the factory defalts suggested by hdaddikt. So far it's worked for me. Not sure how long it will last but so far so good.

Bert

Have you thought that the lnb might be faulty? I had check switch problems that came and went for a few weeks and then I replaced the lnb with a new dish pro plus twin and the problem was fixed.

bert522 said:
Kelton,

Did you try the factory defalts suggested by hdaddikt. So far it's worked for me. Not sure how long it will last but so far so good.

Bert

I've been problem free for the past 4+ days now. Of course, I was problem free before I had problems too! :p

I have not outruled Dish system problems as related to some of these anomalies. Be interesting to see a chart with subscriber
problems with dates and geographical locations. "Oh, yeah.. I noticed my error was related to spotbeam xponder 4 too!"... etc. etc.
Be nice if Dish logged their problems so we could see if they coincide with local problems. Oh, I forgot! their system is perfect! :)

Last edited:
i noticed that someone mentioned outdoor heat as an issue. this has been a known problem out here in the desert. have gone out numerous times to change out 'heat-sensitive' LNBs. just my 2cents worth.

I am having the same issues. All of my check switch sats come out good. But it will indicate a check switch issue. I am betting it is a bad update in the stream!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts