622 Died Last Night

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Guys, he didn't know the 622's were not new or the latest dvr's when he got them, most Dish or DIRECTV customers get what the installer gives them and assumes it is the latest and greatest untill lately with the Hopper & Genie commercials ... :)

First post says they have been with DISH for over 15 years. They have had several upgrades over that time period and have stayed very naïve about what they are purchasing. Fifteen years ago they would have had a 2000/3000 or 4000 receiver and the receiver before the 622 had a hard drive that failed so they have had satellite experience.

How new do you think your 622 is? The 622 was replaced by the 722. The 722K replaced the 722. The Hopper replaced the 722K. The Hopper w/Sling is replacing the Hopper. When you got the 622 two years ago it was well out of production and being issued as REFURBS only. Don't complain about receivers failing if you are going to accept REFURBS as if they were new production. Right now you want a HOPPER W/SLING system yes that will cost you money, but if you want "NEW" you got to pay for it. Of course with "NEW" comes software problems 622's are mostly debugged by now.
Do you have any friends at all?

What is number 3 you seem to have misplaced it?

3) NO SPAMMING – Do not post any messages or ads of a commercial nature. SatelliteGuys.US is an expensive site to operate, and because of this we rely on our sponsors and donations from our members (who we call Pub Members).

DVRs are like servers. Well, they ARE servers - the drives are running 24/7. Conventional wisdom is that hard drives last 3-5 years on average.

Unlike servers, however, you can't back up a DVR. You'd think this problem would have been solved by now. Maybe someday we'll have a completely cloud-based DVR system.

That's a great idea!

I see what you mean about the other 622... If we did upgrade to a hopper, we'd do a hopper plus 3 joey's I guess.

My own warning - don't get one Hopper and three Joeys. Get two hoppers and two Joeys.

Refurbished does not have to mean inferior, there are many instances where a refurbished model of something is better than the original if known problems are addressed. If it makes you feel any better, IMHO that 622 was a better receiver than many cable companies install, at the least till very recently. If you want to keep costs down and don't mind SD at a couple of locations as you now have, just get 722/612/211K models. (If not really interested in a whole home system you could still have HD at all locations and have more tuners and more redundancy.....)

Last edited:
With 2 Hoppers you can install separators so one cannot see the recordings on the other one.

I believe you can get one, maybe both, Hoppers for free. Take 2 Joeys and if you decide you only want one, just decline (or later return) the other one when the installer arrives.

You may have one owned ViP211 on a Hopper system. And it goes beyond just not supporting another type ViP receiver on a Hopper account- Dish will deactivate that ViP, owned or not. And keep on mind, Hoppers are wired a bit differently than ViPs. Hoppers use nodes and perhaps other devices that aren't used in previous installs.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yep, thanks. Don't know why my brain burped like that.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm not sure if I'm getting the 722 or the 722k. Wouldn't doubt if I open up the box & it is indeed a 622.

You will be receiving a 622 if you did not agree to an upgrade with a new 24 month commitment. We send the same exact model when the receiver is replaced and will only send a different model if the receiver is obsolete. The 622 is not an obsolete receiver. I can review your account if you'd like. To do this just send me a Private Message with your account information. You can do this my clicking on my name.

You will be receiving a 622 if you did not agree to an upgrade with a new 24 month commitment. We send the same exact model when the receiver is replaced and will only send a different model if the receiver is obsolete.

This is what I never understood. Supposedly when there was the DIU for the 622 or 722(K) way back when, you had to pay extra for the latter (forgot how much it was back then). Yet how is it everyone says the 622/722/722K are all considered to be the same model (so you would've paid the extra cost and still could've ended up with a 622?)??

Sorry, but nothing about your assertion of the DUI difference/cost is true. Don't know where you got that idea. I had all three. NOPE!! The only possible cause of your misconception is that the 722K had no built in OTA tuner like the 622/722. There was/is an optional dual tuner module.

Last edited:
Unlike servers, however, you can't back up a DVR. You'd think this problem would have been solved by now. Maybe someday we'll have a completely cloud-based DVR system.
Yeah, content owners will let that happen "soon".

This is what I never understood. Supposedly when there was the DIU for the 622 or 722(K) way back when, you had to pay extra for the latter (forgot how much it was back then). Yet how is it everyone says the 622/722/722K are all considered to be the same model (so you would've paid the extra cost and still could've ended up with a 622?)??

For replacement purposes they are all the same group, however, when the 722 and 722k each were introduced, there was a $100 upgrade fee with DIU to move from the older model to the latest and greatest, this is how Dish has always done it. That DIU window usually lasts a year to 18 months, then the DIU can become free.

About a year after the 722k was introduced, I got a free DIU to the 722k - I just had to buy the dual OTA tuner.

Same for the Hopper after a year on the market I was offered and got an upgrade from the 722k to Hopper2000 free - just had to buy the OTA tuner.

Early adopters have always paid the premium $$$.

Where id the list of usable HD's go for the 622 and 612?

Can you clone the old drive to the new and swap them out without losing the content?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts