622 Died Last Night

Charcoal

Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
USA
Hello, found your forum last night after my VIP622 kicked the bucket. Error codes 311 & 024. I'm beyond irritated, lost so many recordings. Should have written my timers down because now I can't remember half of them. It was just 2 yrs ago that this happened w/ whatever model was before the 622. We then made the decision to upgrade to HD & were happy as clams till today. Why do these things fail so often? We've been w/ dish over 15 yrs and have had this problem too many times before. Tired of losing recordings and doing w/o tv till another receiver can be shipped. We must be "trained" pretty well to just accept "that's just the way it is". So they are sending another receiver, rep said it would take 4 days, I asked which receiver I'd be getting & he said the 622 again & I said, no I don't want another one of those, can I get the 722, and he said sure. Hope I didn't make a mistake there. Was looking on Dish.com & they don't even have the 622 on the upgrade page anymore. Thought about upgrading to the Hopper but didn't want to be out the money right now. Also one feature they say about the Hopper is that you can share recording between all TV's. I wouldn't like that at all, would prefer to keep our recordings separate from the kids stuff... is that an option on the Hopper, or is it mandatory sharing? Thanks for any advise or comments, mostly just wanted to vent, & get opinions about the 722 & the sharing of recordings on the Hopper. PS. This was our Master Bedroom receiver, We have another 622 in the livingroom. It's days are numbered too because just last week it restarted itself 3 separate times.

Hello, found your forum last night after my VIP622 kicked the bucket. Error codes 311 & 024. I'm beyond irritated, lost so many recordings. Should have written my timers down because now I can't remember half of them. It was just 2 yrs ago that this happened w/ whatever model was before the 622. We then made the decision to upgrade to HD & were happy as clams till today. Why do these things fail so often? We've been w/ dish over 15 yrs and have had this problem too many times before. Tired of losing recordings and doing w/o tv till another receiver can be shipped. We must be "trained" pretty well to just accept "that's just the way it is". So they are sending another receiver, rep said it would take 4 days, I asked which receiver I'd be getting & he said the 622 again & I said, no I don't want another one of those, can I get the 722, and he said sure. Hope I didn't make a mistake there. Was looking on Dish.com & they don't even have the 622 on the upgrade page anymore. Thought about upgrading to the Hopper but didn't want to be out the money right now. Also one feature they say about the Hopper is that you can share recording between all TV's. I wouldn't like that at all, would prefer to keep our recordings separate from the kids stuff... is that an option on the Hopper, or is it mandatory sharing? Thanks for any advise or comments, mostly just wanted to vent, & get opinions about the 722 & the sharing of recordings on the Hopper. PS. This was our Master Bedroom receiver, We have another 622 in the livingroom. It's days are numbered too because just last week it restarted itself 3 separate times.
How new do you think your 622 is? The 622 was replaced by the 722. The 722K replaced the 722. The Hopper replaced the 722K. The Hopper w/Sling is replacing the Hopper. When you got the 622 two years ago it was well out of production and being issued as REFURBS only. Don't complain about receivers failing if you are going to accept REFURBS as if they were new production. Right now you want a HOPPER W/SLING system yes that will cost you money, but if you want "NEW" you got to pay for it. Of course with "NEW" comes software problems 622's are mostly debugged by now.

I'd say the hard drives in dish's receivers are cheaply made.

You don't never hear people complaining about a WD ext hdd failing every few years.

The only thing a person can do is backup recordings to ext hdd in anticipation of the receiver failing. It truly is only a matter of "when" not "if" a receiver fails.

^^ Exactly.Anything with a hdd is going to fail,it's just a matter of when.

How new do you think your 622 is? The 622 was replaced by the 722. The 722K replaced the 722. The Hopper replaced the 722K. The Hopper w/Sling is replacing the Hopper. When you got the 622 two years ago it was well out of production and being issued as REFURBS only. Don't complain about receivers failing if you are going to accept REFURBS as if they were new production. Right now you want a HOPPER W/SLING system yes that will cost you money, but if you want "NEW" you got to pay for it. Of course with "NEW" comes software problems 622's are mostly debugged by now.

I didn't knowingly "accept" a REFURB. When the last receiver we had died we called & decided to at the same time upgrade to HD, the 622's is what the Tech brought w/ him. How was I supposed to know it was refurbished? No one asked me what receiver would I like to go with, I just stated that we'd had a hard drive failure and would like to upgrade to HD. Not one person on the phone or the Tech that came out said, hey these are refurbs is that ok. So I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that. I am NOT one of these people who want something for nothing... my DH is a self employed electrician, so we see a lot of that, want him to work 2 days on their job & not pay him for what he's worth. I never complained about the money, just said wasn't prepared budget wise to go up to the Hopper at this time. But when you pay for something you do have an expectation that it'll work. I can't believe that guy on the phone was still trying to put another 622 off on me then. I'm not sure if I'm getting the 722 or the 722k. Wouldn't doubt if I open up the box & it is indeed a 622, as he seemed very distracted on the phone, there was a bunch of giggling in the back ground and he kept putting me on "hold" where his end would go silent an I'd wait a few seconds and then say "Hello?" 3 times before he came back on the line in mid sentence like nothing had ever happened. I think he was in a big hurry to get me off the line because his coworkers or who ever was getting really rowdy in the background.

I'd say the hard drives in dish's receivers are cheaply made.

You don't never hear people complaining about a WD ext hdd failing every few years.

The only thing a person can do is backup recordings to ext hdd in anticipation of the receiver failing. It truly is only a matter of "when" not "if" a receiver fails.

I guess you are right. Would the same be true of the Hopper then? I think that's just disappointing & disheartening to "know" you've spent all this money & will just have to do it all over again in a couple/few yrs. I am not interested in the Hopper w/ sling. The Hopper is enticing to me to have the newest & best... IF there's longevity involved as well. No one mentioned if you can opt out of the share all your recordings w/ every tv in the house thing?

Again,anything with a hard drive is bound to fail.The best thing you do is backup all your favorites to an ehd.That way your covered,I was going to mention,have you performed a hard reset of the 622?If it's just a hdd failure,you should still be able to watch tv,minus the dvr features.

If by Hard Reset you mean unplugging it, yes I've done that... twice last night & once today. You are right, I can watch live tv. Just really miss that DVR, I'm like a lot of people that can't watch during the day only at night or weekends, so I rarely watch anything live anymore. Had a lot of stuff saved up for when school let out, but oh well. Had 3 weeks of Hannibal on there... maybe I can catch those online. Thanks for the post... any particular external hd you recommend? Again I'd have to look at my budget, but I might do some research.

Looking for an honest answer from Charcoal. Did you have your receivers in a well ventilated area and not stacked under or above other equipment. Because, sounds to me, overheating could be your problem.

"Looking for an honest answer..." ??? Ok... Do you deal w/ a lot of dishonest people or something? Whatever... the answer is... both our DVR's are very well ventilated... absolutely nothing on top of them. My DH even puts a little something under each corner of each DVR, raises them up about a 1/2 inch for extra ventilation. The cabinet in the livingroom is open, no doors. the DVR in the master is on top of my dresser, all by it's lonesome, w/ a DVD player about 6" away. Both are dusted. the "things" he's put underneath are 4 clear plastic napkin rings, works great & can't be seen too well.

"Looking for an honest answer..." ??? Ok... Do you deal w/ a lot of dishonest people or something?

No, and no need to get so defensive. MANY people with problems such as yours have resulted in over heating, and many of them did not know about proper ventilation. So...that's why i asked.

You could have just asked, w/o starting your question with "looking for honesty from Charcoal"... I understand it's easy to miscommunicate w/o tone of voice & body language. But you also have to understand you can't start a question w/ an assumption of dishonesty & then not have that person feel a bit offended or defensive. Thanks for bringing up the point of overheating, I can see how that would be a problem for a lot of people, esp if they don't have much space.

You could have just asked, w/o starting your question with "looking for honesty from Charcoal"... I understand it's easy to miscommunicate w/o tone of voice & body language. But you also have to understand you can't start a question w/ an assumption of dishonesty & then not have that person feel a bit offended or defensive. Thanks for bringing up the point of overheating, I can see how that would be a problem for a lot of people, esp if they don't have much space.
Sorry you are so D sensitive. :rolleyes:

Sorry you can only see what you perceive to be my faults but not your own. Is this a Satellite Help forum or what?

Dear Charcoal,

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, we are proud to be America’s Satellite Information Source!

We want you to feel at home and part of our family at SatelliteGuys which is why you will find our staff the friendliest staff of any online forum, and our Satellite News, Talk and information is second to none!

At SatelliteGuys we don’t have too many rules, but here are three important ones to remember:

1) NO HACK TALK - At SatelliteGuys we do not discuss how to get (or steal) satellite signals. We actually work close with the satellite companies and their signal theft divisions in helping stop satellite theft.

2) NO NAME CALLING - At SatelliteGuys we consider everyone friends who we have not met yet. And to keep with our friendly atmosphere we do not allow name calling (flaming) of other SatelliteGuys members.
Once again welcome to SatelliteGuys, we are proud to have you as part of our family, please come on by, say hello and make yourself at home.

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!

All the best,
Scott Greczkowski & The Entire SatelliteGuys Staff

Dear Charcoal,

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, we are proud to be America’s Satellite Information Source!

We want you to feel at home and part of our family at SatelliteGuys which is why you will find our staff the friendliest staff of any online forum, and our Satellite News, Talk and information is second to none!

At SatelliteGuys we don’t have too many rules, but here are three important ones to remember:

1) NO HACK TALK - At SatelliteGuys we do not discuss how to get (or steal) satellite signals. We actually work close with the satellite companies and their signal theft divisions in helping stop satellite theft.

2) NO NAME CALLING - At SatelliteGuys we consider everyone friends who we have not met yet. And to keep with our friendly atmosphere we do not allow name calling (flaming) of other SatelliteGuys members.
Once again welcome to SatelliteGuys, we are proud to have you as part of our family, please come on by, say hello and make yourself at home.

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!

All the best,
Scott Greczkowski & The Entire SatelliteGuys Staff
What is number 3 you seem to have misplaced it?

DVRs are like servers. Well, they ARE servers - the drives are running 24/7. Conventional wisdom is that hard drives last 3-5 years on average.

Unlike servers, however, you can't back up a DVR. You'd think this problem would have been solved by now. Maybe someday we'll have a completely cloud-based DVR system.

Guys, he didn't know the 622's were not new or the latest dvr's when he got them, most Dish or DIRECTV customers get what the installer gives them and assumes it is the latest and greatest untill lately with the Hopper & Genie commercials ... :)
One other thing the OP will needs to know is that Dish will not allow his other 622 to be active if he does upgrade to a Hopper. Folks says it works but Dish won't support it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)