622 Dropping Like Flies

ThomasRz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
For the 2nd time in about 9 months, my 622 receiver has failed. In both instances, I lost almost a full drive of programs. Is there a way to recover programs (or try to anyway) - isn't the 622 drive essentially a computer hard drive?

Also is there a way to transfer programs to the EHD en masse rather than the slow and frustrating "select each program method"? Something like a diskcopy?

I'm sorry you are having problems with your 622 receiver. If your receiver will power on, you can transfer the recordings to an EHD. If it doesn't power on, you won't be able to recover. When you access My Media from the DVR, you can select all the programs you want to transfer to the EHD but it can't be done quickly. I have transferred several 100 GB and it took several hours - it is done in the background.

Have you been keeping your receivers in an open, well ventilated environment? Common cause for failure is over-heating.

And poor power at the STB can also be a problem. Could be from aging connections at the outlet. I am a firm believer in high quality surge protection, and for my AV stacks, including the Dish boxes, I have power filtering as well (APC). My primary EHD is a RAID 1 array, just in case the EHD goes south.

But I go overboard. Heat is the most likely.

I am sure most people dismiss the suggestions above, don't! Heat in particular, seriously consider a computer fan especially if the receiver is in a cabinet. And over time dirty power can make receivers fail.
My Onkyo audio receiver would shut off for no reason, I thought for sure the auto off was set or something but it wasn't. Exchanged it, same problem. Put it on an APC and no more problems. It isn't just for old electrical systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)