622 hd output question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shelly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
I havde been subscribing to just the original hd pak plus the original 10 Voom channels with my 6000 receiver, getting most of my progrmming from Comcast.

But my Comcast bill is now at $150/month and I'm considering switching to the HD platinum pak plus locals from Dish once again. (Although my locals would not be in hd, unfortunately.)

I think that the 622 has both hdmi and component hd outputs, but are they both active at the same time (enabling two hd sets to run from the one 622 hd dvr)? I realize that both sets would have to watch the same channel if this setup was to happen.

Or will I just have to split one of the outputs to run to two hd displays?

Thanks.

Shelly

Just to echo (I know some people like to hear more than 1 response to verify), yes they are both active - and you are correct they would both be watching the same programing.

Thanks for the confirmation.

What confusd me is that the 622 description on the Dish network site states that you can watch one set in hd and another is only sd, but now I realize that they must be talking about watching two different shows which is only possible if one is sd.

So now I have to decide whetherr to run two sets off the 622 or just one with an additonal 211 for $6/monthly charge.

Would there be any difference in the picture quality or ease of use with a 211?

Shelly

No real difference in picture quality. That being said, some prefer HDMI/DVI over component (or vise versa), but you should be able to adjust to your likeing.

As far as ease of use, the only material difference is the fact that if you just use the 622 you can only watch the same program (as already stated). Other than that you should be fine either way.

Thanks for the information.

I've been trying to catch up by reading several pages of threads as I have not checked in to this forum for some time now.

Right now, I prefer the component output of my Comcast hd dvr over its hdmi output, but I'll be able to compare the two outputs from the Dish 622 at first, given that any problem might not show up for a while.

The biggest downside for me, though, is giving up all hd networks from Comcast as Dish only offers sd networks in my area, and I cannot receive any ota local stations (too rural.)

All this consideration just to save $50-60/month over my combined Comcast/Dish Mpeg 2 pak.

I thank you all for your prompt replies to my questions and concerns.

I sure do miss the original Voom, though. Now that was real HD.

Shelly

garys said:
If it's components you like, I've heard of places with a component splitter (all three cables as one unit) with no reduction of quality. Will try to find name or distributor if you like.

Thanks Gary but no need to go to the trouble.

I already have the Audio Authority component/digital audio switchbox, and acually have just as good results using y-splitters for both the video and optical audio to send hd and 5.1 to another room. Both methods worked well for me.

When I posted this question, I did not ralize that a second hd receiver, the Dish 211, would be just $6/month, and I also did not ralize that my locals would NOT be in hd. My $54 in savings would include the 211 as well as the 622. ($60 without the 211.)

But I'm now really stuck at losing my networks in HD to save $54-$60/month. It would be a no brainer if my locals were in HD with Dish or if I could get ota locals. My second concern is that the Comcast HD picture is excellent, on par with what we used to get wih Voom, but I would be able to live with a slightly less sharp picture. But the $$ savings is significant. So I'm stuck making the decision right now.

Shelly

shelly said:
...What confusd me is that the 622 description on the Dish network site states that you can watch one set in hd and another is only sd, but now I realize that they must be talking about watching two different shows which is only possible if one is sd....
What they are saying is that with the multiple tuners you can watch one show in HD via the TV1 outputs (HDMI and component) and you also have the independent TV2 output that can be configured ("Dual" mode) to be watching one of the other tuners for a different program at the same time. All three tuners in the 622 are HD. The TV2 output is only SD or down-converted HD, tho'.
...Would there be any difference in the picture quality or ease of use with a 211?...
The 211 is a single output device (TV1 only) without the DVR. It would certainly be easier to use since it's much less complex. The PQ should be identical between the 211 and 622's HD (TV1) outputs.
...But I'm now really stuck at losing my networks in HD to save $54-$60/month...
Have you considered the OTA HD signal option with either the 211 or 622? Both can receive digital OTA signals if they're there and you have the correct antenna to receive them...

EDIT: Oops - I missed one of your statements about not being able to get OTA signals. (My bad...!) Why is that - location? Lotsa help in these threads otherwise...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)