622 HDD Replacement

Well I got my 622 up and running again!! I had to clear the NVRAM as I had those two red blinking lights!
If left to stream for about five hours the lights would quit blinking and you could get to the menu, then I was able to do the clear! Then everything went as it was suppost to [booted and formated] giving me 55 hours of HD recording, Thanks to all the help and advise!!!
JW

I added a hard drive cooler to mine. It fit fine in the VIP722k:

/www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999152&cm_re=hard_drive_cooler-_-11-999-152-_-Product
This looks interesting. Do you have any pictures of the fan in place? Could you please post this and your temp readings in the 622/722 cooling thread? This could be the solution that many are looking for.

Reformat options...

OK, so I may already know what I have to do (pull the drive back out, format it using a SATA dock to NTFS on a desktop PC as suggested above)...but I have to ask first:

I received my replacement drive late Friday (stayed at work for the FedEx, running 2 hrs late), didn't get a chance to do a 'pre-format' as the thread postings suggested. I swapped out the drive (thanks again, timpanagos), no probs. The reciever never gave me an option to reformat the drive, only the 05b1 error screen (basically, your DVR isn't functioning, try unplugging if it persists call service). I tried 'peano's USB stick suggestion, but it didn't give me any menu options for either NVRAM or reformatting. How exactly do you get those menu options again? I feel I've looked everywhere and I've tried resetting/hard rebooting 3x now...

'j wherley', if I read your post right...you just let it sit idle for a few hours and when you fired it up it then gave you an option to reset NVRAM and reformat the drive? I have my unit unplugged right now, don't like the idea of a whirring unrecognized drive ad infinitum, but if I need to let it spin in order to get things going...

So, what am I missing? Thanks for your help--really want to get this thing working and I feel I'm 'this' close!

Last edited:
Shane, I didn't reformat the drive, my 622 did it for me after I reset the NVRAM!
How is your receiver acting are you able to get into the menues?? If you can then
The procedure for this I found here on this site by searching [reset NVRAM] here
by defergie
How To Re-Initialize The Hard Drive on DVR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links
This was sent to me... have not tried it... for Re-Initializing the HDD on your Dishnet receiver

Quote:
SELECT THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS (works with Dish 522 and some other
receivers)

1. Menu
2. 6
3. 3 (the Diagnostic screen should appear)
4. Info
5. Right button
6. Left button (screen filled with hexadecimal figures should
appear)
7. Play
8. Play
9. Recall (message saying that the hard drive will be
re-initialized)

Note: only try this as a last resort...

I am sorry that I do not know how to link the other thread properly!!!! I guess I could give it a bump to the top!!

JW

Last edited:
Huzzah!!! Well, though it may have been an unnecessary step, I did format the drive NTFS and then followed the key-press steps above and yes indeedy, we have liftoff! I'm hearing a bit of what i think is fan noise whine, but hopefully it'll settle down sooner or later. Fingers crossed the reformat and this reconditioned drive 'stick' and the unit functions as it had for the previous many moons--like a charm.

A huge thanks to all for their help and patient support!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As expected, my first try at replacing my dead HD didn't work in my 722 - I didn't order the exact model number (it was missing a -R or something), and the receiver was unable to format it.

So, I'm trying once more, this time with a Hitachi drive. We'll see how it goes - hopefully it's here on Wednesday!

vip 722 drive going bad

The drive in my 722 is going south. (personally-owned unit, not Dish-owned).

Is this still the current compatible list for 500GB replacements?

Hitachi HCS725050VLA380
ST3500830SCE
WDC WD5000AAJS-57

They all seem to be as scarce as hens teeth.

Thanks!

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but my 622 just died 3 weeks ago after installing it in Jan 2012!! I got an error saying that there was an HDD failure. I did the unplug/plug reset and did the clear NVRAM and clean the drive(menu, 6, 3, info, right, left, etc). I called Dish and they had me do the same things and they finally said I need a replacement. At this point, I was thinking of upgrading to the Hopper. However, with my current setup (leased 722/211, owned 622), I would be going from 5 tuners to 3 tuners. I decided to try to replace the HDD on the 622. As you all know, it is hard to find a compatible HDD for the ViPs. I ended up ordering the Seagate Pipeline HD ST3500312CS 500GB 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive from newegg for less than $100 with shipping. I installed it and it works great so far. I went from 320 to 500 GB. I connected a laptop cooler under the 622 powered by the rear USB port to prevent the new HDD from overheating and dying again.

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but my 622 just died 3 weeks ago after installing it in Jan 2012!! I got an error saying that there was an HDD failure. I did the unplug/plug reset and did the clear NVRAM and clean the drive(menu, 6, 3, info, right, left, etc). I called Dish and they had me do the same things and they finally said I need a replacement. At this point, I was thinking of upgrading to the Hopper. However, with my current setup (leased 722/211, owned 622), I would be going from 5 tuners to 3 tuners. I decided to try to replace the HDD on the 622. As you all know, it is hard to find a compatible HDD for the ViPs. I ended up ordering the Seagate Pipeline HD ST3500312CS 500GB 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive from newegg for less than $100 with shipping. I installed it and it works great so far. I went from 320 to 500 GB. I connected a laptop cooler under the 622 powered by the rear USB port to prevent the new HDD from overheating and dying again.
You may want to use this fan instead. Pulling the air through the unit seems to work best. You want the avg hdd temp to be under 120.

Thanks Voyager6. I'll look into it. I started to read the temp thread and it's very long!!. so far my temps have been: High:122, Low:96, avg:111.

BTW, I loved the Voyager series (all Star Trek series for that matter).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts