Installer just left...somethings not right.

SMyers75

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
United States
We had a Hopper and two Joeys installed a week ago.
After using it a few days and talking to Dish Tech Support, it was decided we would be better off with two Hoppers and one Joey.
We like to record lots of shows and one Hopper was just not cutting it for three TV's+Ipad+Laptops.

Today the installer came back and installed the 2nd Hopper.
He seemed to have much trouble figuring out how to get the system to work, but eventually got it somewhat working and left. (after 4 hours)

Now I'm looking at the setup and something seems wrong.
For one thing, only one of the Hoppers (the new one) sees the Internet.
The "old" one used to use the HIC, but read below.

I looked at the HIC and noticed it was only plugged into power and the Internet Router, nothing is plugged into either of the coax connectors on it.

Before I try calling them back and losing a 1/2 of pay at work, I thought I'd search the net ask a couple of questions (if I didn't find the answers posted already).

For one, is it possible for the end user to re-connect the HIC?
I have a Hopper and my Internet Router on my desk right next to the barren HIC,
I also have a few spare RG6 and RJ45 patch cables, along with various Dishnetwork splitters from my old Vip722 setups.

-or-

Maybe I don't need the HIC, as I can easily run another RJ45 from my Internet Router to the "old" Hopper and have both directly connected to the Internet.
If I do this, will the upstairs Joey then "see" the Internet?

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered, if it has, please point me to the correct thread as I searched but can't find it.

Hopefully he ran the 3rd line from the dish and replaced the solo node with the duo node

I believe the HIC has to be on a client line so you would need a tap on the line going to the hopper, which was probably going to just the HIC before

If you can hardwire both hoppers to the router, that is your easiest option.

FYI Dish rolls trucks 7 seven days a week, 365

you only need network connectivity at the joey for DLNA since in your case you could have both hoppers direct connected for ondemand. The joeys can do ondemand just fine when only the hoppers are connected. See preferred network connectivity here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-...-network-connectivity-hopper-joey-system.html

If you need DLNA at that joey location, you could use a lot of different options to get it connected. DLNA should work at the direct connected hopper locations. Just depends on your needs whether it's even worth bothering to get that Joey connected (since it can already access OnDemand).

Last edited:
OK, thanks for info.
It's an easy step for me to run a RJ45 from the router to the "old" Hopper, so I'll just do that.
I guess the HIC goes into a drawer to collect dust.

Yes, he did run a 3rd cable to the dish.

More out of curiosity than a real question:
I was looking at the "Hopper Training Guide" in the link provided (thanks!), but it doesn't make clear what that device is on Page #13 that the HIC and Hopper are plugged into.
Is that a Tap? (It's not labeled in the diagram)

What I really liked reading on those diagrams is that I can have this system connected using isolators and the two Hoppers will never see each other.
This way I won't have to worry about the wife or kid's recording "Dancing with the Stars" on high priority over one of my more important Sporting events (or Big Bang Theory).
I know that Dish has them seeing each other in mind in a future firmware upgrade, but I don't want it.

I'll bet the HIC is at the location where the Joey was swapped out for the Hopper. IMO, the tech should have kept the HIC hooked up, but I don't think Dish's training is what it should be on this.

Cat5 directly to each Hopper and Joey seems to give you most functionality, but it seems a HIC gives the best overall results for now.

The HIC can be placed in-line with a Joey, or on it's own port on the duo node, or with a standard splitter off a Joey line. It cannot be placed directly in-line with a Hopper, but you can use a "tap" to split the hopper line and connect the HIC. A tap IS NOT a standard splitter, and two taps can be problematic if your install already uses one. Make sure your install is not already using a tap before trying to put another one in. Folks haven't been lucky in getting Dish to send out a tap without a truck roll.

Without calling Dish the choices for connecting the HIC would be:
1: If you can easily get a cat 5 drop to the Joey location, then just place the HIC inline with the existing Joey.
2: If you can easily run coax from a node client port to a cat5 accessible location, then put the HIC there.
3: If you have the tech's number, call him and ask him to drop off a tap.
4: Order a tap online through one of the retailers - looks like it would run about $12 shipped. With the tap you can place the HIC where the Hopper is.
5: Hook both Hoppers up with Cat5. From reports, some functionality such as DLNA seems a little quirky with this.

More out of curiosity than a real question:
I was looking at the "Hopper Training Guide" in the link provided (thanks!), but it doesn't make clear what that device is on Page #13 that the HIC and Hopper are plugged into.
Is that a Tap? (It's not labeled in the diagram)

What I really liked reading on those diagrams is that I can have this system connected using isolators and the two Hoppers will never see each other.

Yup, that's the tap we're talking about. And the isolators are available now even though the hopper integration isn't...

Thanks for the info.

#1 - The only Joey is not in a location where I can easily run a Ethernet to.
#2 - I'm not even sure where he mounted the Node Client (somewhere on the side of the house) so that's out.
#3 - My best Long-Term bet, if I can get them to leave it on my doorstep.
#4 - My next best option if they won't drop one off.
#5 - What I just finished doing. Seems to work, but I want to re-connect the HIC for possible better compatibility with DLNA.(and just because I have it)

Yup, that's the tap we're talking about. And the isolators are available now even though the hopper integration isn't...
Thanks for that.

Don't suppose you know if the isolators will block the one HIC from seeing both Networks or not?
(I know, it's a bit early to be asking, but....)

Thanks for that.

Don't suppose you know if the isolators will block the one HIC from seeing both Networks or not?
(I know, it's a bit early to be asking, but....)
Isolators block everything except satellite signal. Each Hopper will need a network connection, direct or another HIC.

First and foremost, Thanks for all the support from here.

Friday the installer came back and left me with a TAP and it fixed the Home Media on the Joey problem just fine.

It wasn't easy getting them to bring me a TAP.
I called and very politely requested that they drop one off or possibly mail me one and I'd install it myself.

The installation company guy started getting very rude to me, telling me I didn't know what I was doing and I didn't need a TAP.
I kept insisting I needed one and tried to explain the situation, but he started yelling, telling me I didn't know what I was doing and it would never work.
I held my ground, asking that he transfer me to someone with a higher authority where he informed me he was an owner of the company and knew what he
was doing "much more than any of those idiots on the Internet do" (his words)

Eventually I had to threaten him with a call to Dish Corporate and he conceded to having an installer drop one off, even though it was a complete waste of time and he was doing me a big favor by not charging me for an unnecessary service call and unneeded parts.

The cool thing was when the installer (a different guy than on the phone) got here, he was very receptive to what was going on and was genuinely interested in how we were going to hook this up.
He took notes and thanked me for showing him this "New Trick" to get the Joey's Home Media to work with a two Hopper/HIC connection.
I gave credit where credit was due and wrote down the URL to this forum for him to read and learn.

All-In-All a quite interesting experience, and I know who I won't be dealing with ever again for my Dish products...

Last edited:
Well I'm glad your good to go.....but wow some of these installers need to read up.I know dish perhaps hasn't made it easy for some but to just tell the customer they have no idea what they are talking about and that they know way more than those internet guys geesh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)