622, HDMI, Home Theater

Sammy033

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Hi

I have been looking at more home theater setups than I can count but there is one thing I am not sure about. If I route my 622 through a home theater receiver that does not have an HDMI input (just an HDMI output), and limited only to component, does that mean I lose HD resolution from the 622? Like most people my HDTV has only one HDMI port and the AV receiver would be used to switch from the built in DVD and satellite.

No, component is HD also. In fact many people around here say that the component connection looks better to them than HDMI. I have both connected (2 differnt 622s) and i see very little to no difference depending on the channel and type of content.

That answer is true.

But, if you do not currently own a Home Theater A/V Receiver, then I would be inclined to buy one with HDMI switching.

HDMI has digital video and digital audio, both in one wire. Component and digital audio requires four wires for each run. Component is analog, so any video processing would require analog-to-digital conversion and then back.

The only reason not to get HDMI switching ? Cost. If you can save enough money to apply to your next upgrade, then that is always a good thing ! But if it is only like $10 or $20 difference, go for the HDMI.

I agree with kstuart as for sure if you are looking to purchase a new AV Receiver. The less wires the better! Especially now that the 622 outputs 5.1 over HDMI!

From what I have read on this forum and heard from Dish Tech support the 622 HDMI connection will most likely soon fail. Why bother??

I don't want my signal converted to analog and then back to digital - IF hdmi fails on my set, they will be sending me a new one pronto. Is it my fault they surface mounted the hdmi jack? Nope, and they will continue to swap out my 622 until the fix that problem.

I have my hdmi cable coiled and fixed so that there is no stress on my hdmi connection.

Agreed! We're paying for HDMI with the ViPs so E* needs to make good on it by whatever means. My replacement unit is nearly a year old with no repeat problem. I do believe the newer units are supposed to have a more "robust" HDMI socket (through-hole vs. SMT perhaps?) so if you're getting one now maybe there is no further problem. But the refurbs most of us would likely get as replacements would likely still have the same potential issue. Any conjectures...?

I don't want my signal converted to analog and then back to digital - IF hdmi fails on my set, they will be sending me a new one pronto. Is it my fault they surface mounted the hdmi jack? Nope, and they will continue to swap out my 622 until the fix that problem.

I have my hdmi cable coiled and fixed so that there is no stress on my hdmi connection.

The main problem there is you would lose all of your recordings.

Yeah true. But when they get the external drive up and running that will help some on loosing recordings. But yes getting your DVR replaced you would loose your recordings. Overall the main concern with any DVR is when it comes to loosing your recordings is just the fact of the Hard Drive failing.

It will be nice to be able to backup your recordings to a external drive that way you have some what of a safety net. :)

Yeah true. But when they get the external drive up and running that will help some on loosing recordings. But yes getting your DVR replaced you would loose your recordings. Overall the main concern with any DVR is when it comes to loosing your recordings is just the fact of the Hard Drive failing.

It will be nice to be able to backup your recordings to a external drive that way you have some what of a safety net. :)

We don't know that will be the case at all. It is very likely that the external hdd will be tied to the receiver (not the account). So if your receiver failed and was replaced you would lose the content on the external hdd as well.

Hmm I would not think it would not work that way. Whatever you record on the external drive should always be on the drive unless it fails itself. The content should always be on the external drive so when you hook up your replacement receiver it should pull in the content. If I'm not mistaken I think this was already answered in a Tech Chat or Charlie Chat. But I could be wrong I will send a E-mail out see what I can found out. You could be right but to me that would defeat one of the main reason to have a external drive to begin with besides extra storage. :)

The problem wouldn't be with the content being there (it would be). The problem would potentially be with the encryption of the content (the key question is will the content be tied to a box encryption key or an account encryption key). It all depends on how the encryption works. I believe we discussed this awhile back without ever coming to a final conclusion on how they (E*) would be setting this up.

Yeah makes sense. Well maybe this will get answered at the Summit Show next week. But if I hear anything I will let everyone know as well. :)

From what I have read on this forum and heard from Dish Tech support the 622 HDMI connection will most likely soon fail. Why bother??

none of the HDMI problems on this device could adversely effect the other units in my system that are hooked up to the 622 via HDMI , right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)