622 Launching Feb. 1st - same price as 942

It's a shame that they didnt not implement on all new receivers going forward the home node where you could have one box upgradable to add tuners, a hard drive to make it a DVR, upgrade memory in the future, etc.

Uh oh, some of us predicted this would happen. We might be forced into buying THIER overpriced products in order to be able to use that functionality (or wait until someone comes up with a hack to use the ordinary devices that we have now in which we would have to discuss on the dishrip groups).

Stargazer said:
(or wait until someone comes up with a hack to use the ordinary devices that we have now in which we would have to discuss on the dishrip groups).
Please, oh please, tell me where I can find this underground band of brothers! :bow

"...I guess this means we can download our 942's before switching to a 622....."

Sure you could. But they'd be useless. The d/l to an external HD via USB is keyed to the DVR or other STB that did the original d/l. You won't be able to dump to an external HD and then load (or view) the programs saved on another box. You can only view the programming via the box that originally captured it.

I post this based on postings in other threads I've read, not from any personal knowledge.

SimpleSimon said:
You notice they said "compatible USB devices". :rolleyes:
Do you think it might mean only E* HDDs - where they'll charge $5 a megabyte?

Pure speculation here, but I'm thinking no.

If they have DishNet-branded HDD's or are preparing them, and they only wanted you to use those HDD's, why wouldn't they have announced those alongside the 622? After all, the announcement said that shows will be downloadable to "compatible USB devices", when it could have said something like they will be downloadable to "new DishDrive USB HDDs".

And I agree with navychop: the files will be keyed to a single DVR, thus you can't dump your 942 yet.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could attach a USB drive to a ViP222 non-DVR? And make it a DVR?

If they require their own HDD's then someone will probably come out with software to load on your hard drive to make it work with it that you can put onto your own external HDD.

622 HD Recording

I've read a number of posts regarding this issue but I'm not clear about it so here are my questions that I hope someone can answer.
Can the 622 record two HD satellite programs at once?
Can I watch one HD satellite program while recording another HD satellite program with the 622?
Thanks!
Mike

mlinuxg said:
I've read a number of posts regarding this issue but I'm not clear about it so here are my questions that I hope someone can answer.
Can the 622 record two HD satellite programs at once?
Can I watch one HD satellite program while recording another HD satellite program with the 622?
Thanks!
Mike

To build on that yes and yes answer: you can record two HD sat programs and one OTA HD program PLUS watch a fourth HD program already recorded on TV1 in HD and a fifth HD program already recorded on TV2 in SD.:cool:

Yes you can. Done it on the 942 just for fun:up . Should be the same on the 622--which has virtually the same marketing specs as the 942 (except MPEG4 and HDD size).

-sc

You cannot watch HD content on the second TV output. Why didnt they implement that on the dang thing? Does it really cost that much more to implement HD on tv2 out?

The dish news release today lists the model as a VIP622./ I spoke with dish today as to release date,, they told me end of this month. I currently have 2 811 andd a 921. The 811s have been problem free, but I can not say the same about my 921. I ordered two 411 today and hope to replace my 921 ASAP!!!!

Allin4greeN said:
Please, oh please, tell me where I can find this underground band of brothers! :bow
Yahoo Groups dishrip & dishmod.

Airblair said:
... Wouldn't it be cool if you could attach a USB drive to a ViP222 non-DVR? And make it a DVR?
Wasn't there something about using a PocketDish for this purpose?

EDIT: Just noticed that this was my 5000th post. Wish it could've been a better one. :)

Last edited:
Tom Bombadil said:
Any chance of the 622 having a s-video output?
Per photos, specs and such the 622 has an s-vid out for TV1. And that rocks as I have a DVDRW that has been waiting for this (currently used with my 811).

Stargazer said:
The cost of the MPEG-4 dual tuner 622 DVR will be the same price as the 942. It will record OTA SD and HD. The second tuner is SD 480i only.

seconf tuner only 480i? Is this correct? The 942 is DUAL HD! I cant record 2 HD lites at once anymore? LOL! But serious this wont be good?

chastulsa said:
seconf tuner only 480i? Is this correct? The 942 is DUAL HD! I cant record 2 HD lites at once anymore? LOL! But serious this wont be good?
If it is like the 942, you can record three HD streams at once, as noted above. Whatever you play back through TV2 will be in 480i, whether it is SD or HD content.

Of course, if it is like the 942, current customers probably won't get it until 2007, just before it becomes obsolete. Maybe we'll find out about availability tonight from Charlie.

The 942 had HD out on TV2? Why was this not implemented on the 622? Was this too costly or what? BIG DOWNER.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)