622 Launching Feb. 1st - same price as 942

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
The cost of the MPEG-4 dual tuner 622 DVR will be the same price as the 942. It will record OTA SD and HD. The second tuner is SD 480i only.

Reefer123 said:
So it will be the 625 not 622? Also are you 100% sure on this or is it something you heard through the grapevine?
The title says 625, but the post itself says 622. It certainly isn't the 625; that's just the 522 with a bigger hard disk for VOD--no MPEG4 or HD.

It appears that the 622, being the direct replacement of the 942, will be available for lease just as the 942 is now.

It also has a tech bulletin about the 625 hard drive issues (software related - not hardware related).

Another tech bulletin about TIB on VoIP (voice over IP). Improving receiver modem connection through VoIP phone system.

The 322's got a freeze fix in a software update.

The 6.2 replacement remotes will be the standard replacement for the following receivers: 501, 508, 510, 522, 625, 721, 811/921 and 942. It will ship with 3 keys in the package. The current stock will ship with the remotes that they have been shipping with. It retails for $39.

Yes, it will be MPEG-4 and if you want to activate HD programming then you must have an MPEG-4 receiver. I am not sure if they are going to allow existing subscribers to activate their receivers again if they are unactive or not.

FWIW the UHF remote "keys" are simply pieces of plastic that toggle the switch in the remote -- you can do it with a plain piece of plastic/metal that'll fit into the slot and thus push the switch over :)

[On our 322's remote it moves left or right, big white thing].. realized that's all it did when my bro dropped his TV2 remote after losing the "key" for it, and after resetting it -- all was well :D

Stargazer said:
It appears that the 622, being the direct replacement of the 942, will be available for lease just as the 942 is now.
It also has a tech bulletin about the 625 hard drive issues (software related - not hardware related).
Another tech bulletin about TIB on VoIP (voice over IP). Improving receiver modem connection through VoIP phone system.
The 322's got a freeze fix in a software update.
The 6.2 replacement remotes will be the standard replacement for the following receivers: 501, 508, 510, 522, 625, 721, 811/921 and 942. It will ship with 3 keys in the package. The current stock will ship with the remotes that they have been shipping with. It retails for $39.

What's the 625 hard drive bulletin say???????

Stargazer said:
The cost of the MPEG-4 dual tuner 622 DVR will be the same price as the 942. It will record OTA SD and HD. The second tuner is SD 480i only.
So your saying you can't record 2 HD programs at one time? I can do that now with my 921?

Originally Posted by Stargazer

bkushner said:
So your saying you can't record 2 HD programs at one time? I can do that now with my 921?

The same was said of the 942 before it was released. The statement is only [partially] true if in dual mode. Although both tuners are capable of recording HD, while in dual mode it will only display one tuner in HD and the other in SD. I'm sure the same is likely true with the 622, but we'll have to wait and see to be sure.

I'm just a newbie Dish customer, but it seems the thinking needs to change and separate the "tuning" from the "decoding".
The "tuner" is an input, and is indifferent to the content of what's being tuned. It just receives the *channel* it's tuned to and sends it off to the destination for handling (hard drive for DVR, decoders for display). The 942 has an OTA receiver, technically a 3rd tuner.
The display output relies on the decoder, and it decodes from the source--being from the hard drive or directly from the tuner. These are tied (at least feel that way) to the outports on the sat receiver:
>You send something to the HDTV outports (TV1), the *HDTV* decoder deals with the source
>You send something to the TV2 outs, the *SD* decoder deals with it.
That's why you can still record an HD program while watching another, the decoder is only needed during display. This is also why you can still watch an OTA-HD broadcast while recording two sat program (HD or not)--the sat tuners are capturing the data for the hard drives while the OTA tuner is sending to the HDTV decoder for output.
I could be wrong, but this is my experience in the 4 days I've had the system trying to figure out the conflicts.
-sc

So with HD locals coming to many markets, the only drawback of having only one HDOTA tuner is that you couldn't record TWO OTA HD channels at the same time, and that means you'd want to record TWO programs not on network (Dish Local HD) at once.

I can't see that happening more than once in my lifetime.

With the 622, can you choose to record HD in 480p or does it just record the native stream? My plasma is 480p, and it would be nice to be able to same space on the HD by not recording full 720p or 1080i all the time.

See above excellent explanation by scottrell. The DVR doesn't change the resolution of the incoming video. It just saves it directly to the hard drive for later decoding/viewing. Rescaling the incoming video to 480p before saving to the hard drive is not done with these boxes. This would be pretty processor intensive, and I doubt they have that kind of CPU power.

The DVR is just a buffer for video data, storing it for almost immediate (1 second later) or days later viewing.

The Facts Blast that I got says the second tuner is only capable of doing SD. They should have two HD tuners in a dual tuner HD receiver. I will be waiting for it.

Here is how it is stated:

TV1: View and record high definition (HD) or standard definition (SD) programming.
TV2: View and record standard definition or down-converted HD programming.

TV1 display supports four resolutions: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
TV2 display resolution: 480i

Marketing-wise it's correct, but not accurate.

When it talks of TV1 and TV2, these are the outputs (outports) coming out the back of the receiver.

The 942 contains 2 satellite tuners, and one OTA digital tuner. It also has an OTA analog tuner, but I can't say if it is part of the OTA digital tuner--for most hardware they're separate.

All these tuners do is take the signal from the cable (via dish or antenna) and tune the *channel* it's on and pipe it to where-ever (HDD, decoders, etc.). So each of the sat tuners can take the signals from any of your subscribed sat feeds, whether they be HD or not, and pipe them out.

What determines whether the output is HD or not depends completely on the decoder. And since you can only send out to two TVs at a time (TV1 and TV2), the end result is that you'll have only two independent "TV viewing stations".

TV1's decoder is capable of outputting HD.
TV2's decoder can only output SD.

Each decoder can take the feed from either tuner or HDD then push out its decoded output. The only caveat to this is that I don't think you can pipe the OTA digital tuner directly to the TV2 decoder, but you can spool it to the HDD first.

-sc

Okay here is a question - say you set up in dual tuner mode, record programming from both TV1 and TV2, can either of these outputs see "all" content on the hard drive (recorded by either side of the dual tuner system)?

Question #2 - if in dual tuner mode, both TV1 and TV2 are independent of each other (i.e. one cannot see the other's recorded content), can the receiver be switched back into single tuner mode and retain all recorded programming from both tuners?

Inquiring mind/s want to know?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)