622 or 211k with external hard drive?

The Marquis

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
I currently have a 211k and have been offered a free upgrade by Dish to the 622.

I'm a little disturbed that the 622 requires a technician to install it (bad experiences in the past) so I'm considering adding an external drive to my 211k and be done with it. The biggest difference here is that it will cost me a little over $100 to add the external drive. Will I at least end up with a better overall unit if I go this route? What is the difference in storage capacity between the 622 and the 211k with a 500GB external drive? Is the drive in the 622 upgradable?

Are there any problems with the 622 that I should be aware of? I use OTA, and HDMI to a switch in my setup.

If you don't need a dual tuner PVR, stick with the 211K.. Dish Network will fee you to death with the 622. I am switching to all 211s.

The 211 has 2 tuners, 1 sat and 1 ota, you can record on one and watch the other.
I'm thinking of de-activating my 622 in the bedroom, I've never used 3 tuners at a time in it like I use my other 622.

Note that the 622/722 EHD and 211-type EHD each require once-only setup fees and are not compatible. So pick one type. The 622 and 722 have monthly DVR fees on each.

(A CSR tried to tell me moving drives between 622 and 722 would cause a problem--not true, as far as I know. I was reporting the second time one of my 722s gave the 866 error about the disk not matching the receiver, from which it had not been disconnected. A "hit" fixes it without a reboot.)

There few 622s going out now, most will want a 722 with its larger disk and more advanced circuits.

-Ken

Get the free upgrade to the 622 or 722. Better yet tell them you will take the 722 not the 622. I have the 211 with a EHD and a 622 with a EHD. The 622 is so much better.

The 211 has 2 tuners, 1 sat and 1 ota, you can record on one and watch the other.
I'm thinking of de-activating my 622 in the bedroom, I've never used 3 tuners at a time in it like I use my other 622.

Can you record on both at the same time and watch one?

So ... a few more questions ...

The 211 has 2 tuners an OTA tuner and a Satellite tuner.

1. Can both tuners record at the same time?
2. If only one tuner is recording, can you watch another recorded program?
3. If both tuners are recording, can you watch another recorded program?

(Actually though, for me, because I have a 722, it would make more sense to get a 612 because if I ever get an EHD, I can at least move it between both receivers. With a 211 I could not do that. I am curious though for the 211 and what it can do.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts