622 OTA timers not working

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
I just noticed that my OTA timers are not firing for the new network shows. Other timers work fine. When I check the schedule of the OTA timers, they have no programs listed at all.

I have soft and hard rebooted and deleted and replaced the OTA timers, but no programs show in the record schedule.

Any clues?

622 L614

Im having the same issues on a 622 and a 722. It appears to only happen when there are already two SAT timers set for the same time. Its been happening since L612.

I have been noticing this as well. When I have (2) SAT timers set and I set (2) OTA timers at the same time...the OTA timers disappear after some time. Even when I "skip" the SAT timers.

Now I am noticing that my OTA timers will not fire up at all. The timers appear in the settings, but they are not recording any new shows. I do not have any concurrent satellite timers in place. I end up setting the timers manually to ensure that I do not miss a recording. Anyone else noticing this on their 622?

Now I am noticing that my OTA timers will not fire up at all. The timers appear in the settings, but they are not recording any new shows. I do not have any concurrent satellite timers in place. I end up setting the timers manually to ensure that I do not miss a recording. Anyone else noticing this on their 622?

I have reported this on the DBS Board. The current "fix" is to set the option to "Weekly". I know, a band-aid fix, but at least the shows will record unless they change time/day. It seems to be a combination of software, location and hardware. DISH is aware but have no clue or solution at this point. This issue also only comes up if there is a matching satellite channel; for example, my OTA "The CW" station works fine all the time since I do not have a matching SAT channel. This has also been confirmed by a number of other people, and some have seen this problem occur on the mapped-down SAT channels as well. It works solid on the 6xxx channel numbers.

I have reported this on the DBS Board. The current "fix" is to set the option to "Weekly". I know, a band-aid fix, but at least the shows will record unless they change time/day. It seems to be a combination of software, location and hardware. DISH is aware but have no clue or solution at this point. This issue also only comes up if there is a matching satellite channel; for example, my OTA "The CW" station works fine all the time since I do not have a matching SAT channel. This has also been confirmed by a number of other people, and some have seen this problem occur on the mapped-down SAT channels as well. It works solid on the 6xxx channel numbers.

Not seeing any of this kind of problem. I have many regular OTA programs set to record. I Do Not have map down set, as I am happy to go to the 6xxx for any LIL HD I might have to set. I would rather see that when i bunch in say channel 7, I get the OTA and not the LIL.

Note that if you rescan OTA channels, or delete and redefine them, you may have timers disapper or not fire until you redefine them. But the original poster mentioned redefining his.

I reset my OTA timers per johnstred's statement and it looks like they are sticking around. I guess it is a roundabout way of keeping these timers but I am not complaining.

tnsprin -- I rescanned my locals not too long ago...but I don't remember if I created my OTA timers before or after that event. Regardless, I will take a look into that in the near future. It's a pain to keep deleting timers and setting them again.:p

Thanks for your advice.

622 OTA Recording Failed Starting in Mid-summer

After working perfectly for over a year, our 622 started failing to record OTA programs set as "New" in mid-summer. Satellite timers were OK. After haggling with Dish extensively, they agreed to replace the unit. The replacement 622 has failed to record OTA programs identically.

I have thought that the problem may have started with a software upgrade sometime in mid-summer, but there has been another one since I received the replacement 622. Dish claimed to have no other reports about this problem.

Parts of the OTA timer setup work, such as timers set to record OTA "Weekly", but this failure is a major problem for those who wish to record extensively.

Neither my 622 nor my 722 will record OTA unless I set the timer to weekly. It has been that way for several months now. I have learned to cope.

Ted

&&^% I have been complaining about this for weeks in other posts, but (I thought) I couldn't find anyone to join me.

OK, took a breath - thank god I didn't send in my 622 for a replacement like Dish wanted me to do. Have 30 + timers and stuff recorded, plus my GF is recovering from surgery and spending a lot of time watching TV so it would have been a bad time to swap.

Of course I have remapped my OTA recordings to SAT as I didn't see this workaround. But tonight is Wednesday and my GF has too many things taping at once for the two SAT tuners...

Set up a timer to record the NC State vs UNC football game on Saturday, Nov 22nd using local OTA channel here in Raleigh...only to get home from my trip last night to find that it didn't record! Between this and the constant audio blips we suffer on shows we record from the local ABC channel, we will most likely be making the switch back to Directv as soon as my 2 yar agreement is up in Feb 2009.

Customer Service is so hit-or-miss. Called in last night fed up with the OTA recording problem. At first couldn't remember how to replicate problem, but then set Letterman to record "new" and sure enough, only sets up to record the next show, not the rest of the week or the following week.

And then they tell me (a 10 year sub) that I can either upgrade to 722 for a 2 year commit (ship), or they will send a tech out to replace the 622 - complete with the 8 to noon or noon to 5 pm option. I get a little upset - this is a known problem with the 622, and why should have have to take a half-day off work for it? I tell him this is unacceptable, and I won't put up with it. He tells me fine, I can leave Dish. I hand up. What an idiot - I am a 10 year customer, he should have ship the replacement 622 and not make me spend 30 minutes on the phone.

I was starting to sign up for AT&T UVerse when my GF said she was going to be working from home anyway one day next week, so I called back to get the tech scheduled with Dish for that day. After another 30 minute call a female rep agreed to ship the 622, and only charge me $15 (seriously?). I can't believe Dish is so clueless it will risk losing a customer over a KNOWN OTA recording problem instead of quickly fixing it...

Well, I finally installed the replacement DVR, and it will not record OTA either. Yes, they all come in with decent signal, and you can record something that has already started, but the "NEW" setting for OTA looks like it works, but then fails to record.

So I call in tonight to tech support with a theory related to the guide (61.5 guide versus another satellite) and the tech tells me the 622 will not record OTA. Taken aback I ask for her supervisor, who after ten minutes comes on the line and tells me the same thing. Dish I am so close to walking.

This will probably make people mad at me, but why all the concern about "new" timers? I always set manual timers for OTA, & all is well. I also set recurring timers the same way for satellite. I watch Dirty Jobs & also Scrubs. When I set timers for them, I go to the guide, select it, select "weekly" not "new" and have never missed an episode yet... heck, it's smart enough that when the Deadliest Catch starts up, it skips the programmed "weekly" timer because it's the wrong event. Back in the days of VCR's, "weekly" was all you had... I think you're putting too much faith into the guide to tell the DVR that this is a "new" episode. When you look @ the guide & see the "TV Guide" logo, keep one thing in mind, they can't get their paper guides right either :)

But why is this an OTA issue? "New" works fine on satellite channels. Meaning there is something wrong with the software related to the guide, and I just want Dish to fix it...

Wouldn't be so bad if we could just edit our timers, but you can't convert a new to a weekly. So for the second time in two weeks we have to delete and rebuild about half of our 30 timers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)