622 PIP Position

Cowchip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Minnesota
What's the deal with the terrible locations for the PIP window? There isn't a good spot on the screen for it as it blocks a large portion of the picture even when it's in the smallest size. Can't they let the user move it to where it fits best (far corners of the screen)?

There's not much in the ViP 622 User's Guide, and then it doesn't seem to be in a logical location.

However, try Page 33.
...Use the PIP button to change size.
...Use the Position button to change location.

Yes, I'm aware of the ability to choose between 1 of 6 positions, but the problem is those preset positions are terrible.

Ideally it should allow for infinite adjustability to place it exactly where you want on the screen.

Like you said, the smaller of the 2 choices is still too big and there really is no good position to put it without covering way too much of the larger pic.
One nice option on my TV is split screen. Equal pic in pic on left and right side and audio on the left only.

Last edited:
I just wish there would be a software change to move the PIP window to the corners - it blocks way too much of the picture the way it is now.

This should be a minor correction for E* if enough people complain.

The 721 had a smaller PIP that seemed just right. Agreed, the Dish Pro Plus DVR PIP is too large, even in the small mode. Could we complain to Dish so that they can modify the software as they have with other features?

Last edited:
What's normal overscan for HDTV sets? I bet it's a lot less than the average old SD set. Yet another argument for putting the PIP a lot closer to the edges.

Pepper said:
What's normal overscan for HDTV sets?

Theoretically, it should be ZERO. But until/unless CRTs are gone from the scene, we'll probably have to put up with some. Many HD video producers are pushing to eliminate the old conventions of Title-safe and action-safe areas, and thereby utilize the full pixel map afforded by digital television. Until that happens, I figure 3-5% overscan on a reasonably modern TV (even CRTs) is OK. But the PIP function on the 622 is way inside that.

I agree also that the 622's PIP implementation is very basic. It almost seems to be an afterthought. Other PIP designs, such as Sony's, allow for fine positioning and multiple windows sizes, including split screen. Sony also has a unique design which places the primary channel in the center of the screen, surrounded by multiple PIP windows. Since there are only two tuners, the second tuner scans around the surrounding windows, one at a time, freezing one then moving to the next. Maybe they have a patent on this. LOL.

I was waiting for the overscan discussion to begin, and that can easily be handled by letting the user move the PIP window to any position on the screen.....maybe something like 1/8" increments or some other small distance that would be acceptable instead of just the six preset positions. That way you could scoot it right to the corner of your particular set where if fits for YOU and your overscan. A simple up/down/left/right arrow command on the remote would move it where you want it. Put it on the wish list I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)