New DISH Anywhere iOS app released- includes new UI & PiP

Couple of quick critiques on the new iOS app:

1) Streamed channels from the guide used to allow you to rewind to the start of the current program and pause & fast forward. This is not available anymore. That totally sucks because that was a nice feature of the previous version. You can’t even pause the streamed channel, and I can’t find a way to make the app choose the DVR tuner to stream the channel (which allows pausing, rewinding and fast forward). This sucks.

UPDATE: Choose the “i” and you CAN stream the channel using the DVR tuner. A bit cumbersome, but workable.

2) Shows in the guide that are available On Demand should link to those on demand titles…but don’t. Big miss there, too.

3) The side bars, even on 16:9 HD programs, are not quite pure black. For OLED screens, that’s going to be annoying.

4) Squeezed/odd ratio programs/channels like MeTV look bad. There needs to be a way to stretch/zoom those programs, just like on the Hopper.

5) In the guide, when filter to the “News” option, Fox News isn’t listed (..biting my tongue…), but NewsMax is. Also NOT listed: Fox Business, Bloomberg, & CNBC.

That’s all I can find the complain about (for now)…it’s slick, fast, responsive, and a pretty good upgrade overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback.

1. This actually has nothing to do with the update. Some channels will have this capability and others will not.

2. This is on our radar.

3&4. Let me look into that.

5. We actually filter the guide by program and not by channel. So if the current event is not listed as news, it won't show up.

-Rob

Just made my Hopper reboot:
While “watching” one of the music channels in the 800’s, I put my iPhone into standby (to see if it would allow for background audio…it doesn’t). When I woke my phone up, I closed the Dish Anywhere app and my Hopper 3 rebooted.

Totally reproducible. Just did it again to confirm. Waking my phone up didn’t make it reboot, simply putting to sleep did. This does NOT affect regular DVR tuner channels or streaming channels. Only the music channels, it appears.

Odd bug.

iPhone XR, iOS 15 Developer Beta 6
Hopper 3, H308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice catch. We'll get it fixed.

-Rob

All mine does is say 'No Credentials' It popped up once to let me enter my email and password, said it was validating with my service provider and nothing. Now when I launch it it just stays on the No Credentials banner and doesn't even let me enter my ID and Password anymore.

Great programming and testing!
Can you send me a DM? Would like to get the details.

Normally I don’t use Dish Anywhere on my IPhone but I decided to test out the new version. It saw both of my Hopper3 receivers and worked very well. The new interface is much nicer. Apple Airplay connects nicely to my Apple TV.

The only problem I have seen so far is that the Dish Anywhere Guide is missing the OTA channels for 04-01 (WCMH NBC), 06-01 (WSYX ABC), and 28-01 (TBD). This Guide problem occurred with either of my two Hopper3 receivers. At first I thought it was missing the OTA channels that corresponded to the PTAT channels but 10-01 (WSYX CBS) shows up in the Guide. Other than the missing channels the Guide shows up and streams all my 68 OTA channels from Dayton and Columbus Ohio.
This is important since my son who lives in Columbus often streams the Dayton channel from my Hopper3 when he wants to watch the Cincinnati Bengals instead of the Cleveland Browns.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
Wow; that sounds like a BIG upgrade to Dish account rep capabilities, more like it was before. Is it?
No Rob can't help with account issues, programmiing or anything like that. He is just one of the people overseeing the Dish Anywhere project. He is not a DIRT member, but he can see why someone is unable to log into Dish Anywhere. :)

Can you send me a DM? Would like to get the details.

Rob,

I've sent you a screenshot of my DA app saying no credentials. It goes to authenticate and just pops up the screen. Conversations will not allow me to post the picture so I've attached it here.

I've checked in Settings and my provider is DISH and iOS shows that I'm signed on to Dish.

George

Attachments

• IMG_8568.PNG
    IMG_8568.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 120
Way too many channels are not Streaming only and with no skip back etc. features; it's just like watching TV in the old days with no way to go back or forward/backward pause etc. The only work around to get any trick play appears to be to select RECORD and then after a few minutes, you can play back that recordings from the DVR screen. This is something of the same requirement on TiVo remote viewing of "Live" TV. This is a DOWNGRADE, but we have no choice in how Dish makes things work--BUT it would not be so bad if I could still use my Slingboxes instead of Dish killing off the Slingboxes for good in the coming year.

I have a question: Why did Dish decide to provide so many channels on the new version of Dish Anywhere as Streaming ONLY (with no trick play) instead of the channel content originating from Hoppers? Is it because it provides are more consistently reliable viewing experience without having to depend upon a subscribers lousy home internet connection that could be slow or even non-existent such as in rural areas? Or was Dish forced into this streaming only channels for Dish Anywhere? Yes, there are still a few channels that will originate from the Hopper box, but to my viewing of the guide, only a small number of such originating from the Hopper boxes at home.

Reactions: syphix
Or was Dish forced into this streaming only channels for Dish Anywhere?
I wonder about this too, but I suspect you put your finger on the issue. "No trick play" means commercials are forced on the viewers, just as they are on many other streaming platforms.

Reactions: navychop
Way too many channels are not Streaming only and with no skip back etc. features; it's just like watching TV in the old days with no way to go back or forward/backward pause etc. The only work around to get any trick play appears to be to select RECORD and then after a few minutes, you can play back that recordings from the DVR screen. This is something of the same requirement on TiVo remote viewing of "Live" TV. This is a DOWNGRADE, but we have no choice in how Dish makes things work--BUT it would not be so bad if I could still use my Slingboxes instead of Dish killing off the Slingboxes for good in the coming year.
I hope someone picks up where sling box leaves off....

I hope someone picks up where sling box leaves off....
I was going to recommend Monsoon Multimedia, but alas their servers for remote streaming disappeared from the net. I have a Hava Platinum that reputedly still works on my LAN. But I haven't tried it recently because it developed an analog video sync problem which I have yet to fix. :crying Is this company completely dead and gone?

By the way, did anybody figure out why the Slingbox was discontinued, and the servers will be shut down in 2022? I don't buy the official explanation.

I was going to recommend Monsoon Multimedia, but alas their servers for remote streaming disappeared from the net. I have a Hava Platinum that reputedly still works on my LAN. But I haven't tried it recently because it developed an analog video sync problem which I have yet to fix. :crying Is this company completely dead and gone?
That was my original streamer I had, was very solid....I used it 11 years ago....They shut down everything a long time ago, they posted it on their web site as no longer supporting anything...

I’m impressed, I just streamed using the DishAnywhere App on my iPad to my AppleTV via AirPlay from my Hopper 3 over 300 miles away, and it looked great! Congratulations to the DishAnywhere team at Dish!

Now, if there were a native AppleTV app, I would be a very happy Dish customer! ;)