622 pip

Bluebull32

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Orlando, FL
If and when I get around to upgrading to the 622, I would most likely only use it for one set, so I can take advantage of the picture in picture capability. Since this box only has one HD receiver, is that going to make it impossible to display HD channels as the smaller view? If the code is incredibly robust, It might be able to show a small HD channel inside a larger SD view, but I dont see how it could PIP two HD channels without doing some sort of down conversion of the second HD channel, if that is even possible. This scenario may seem unlikely, but local NFL broadcasts are often in HD, and it would be extremely useful to PIP between the FOX and CBS broadcasts to avoid watching commercials.

Any insight would be apprieciated. Thanks.

The confusion is in the terminology. Both satellite tuners and the OTA tuner are all HD capable. The TV2 output is what is downconverted.

Even on an SD 522 the PIP window is by definition "downconverted" as it is a smaller picture than the main window. Simple pixel reduction from the original unaltered signal that's streaming onto the hard drive.

Bluebull32 said:
So I should be able to PIP two OTA HD signals without problem?

YES! You can do it provided you have HD LIL and OTA HD. I have a CBS-HD waiver, and I have OTA HD. With HD Locals, you can do it via SAT HD and OTA.

You can PIP by watching an OTA HD program, and doing a PIP with an HD satellite program. The reverse (Watch SAT HD and PIP with OTA HD) is also possible. You can PIP with two satellite HD programs. You can PIP with a recorded HD program, and an OTA or SAT HD program. You can also do it with any combination of SD and HD programming.

That is how it worked on the 942, the 622 shouldn't be any different.

It is a really great feature!

Last edited:
The coolest thing about it is you can record 3 things while watching a 4th all at the same time... you can record 2 hd programs from the sat and 1 hd program from ota and watch a 4th from a dvr recording. how cool is that :)

also the 942/622 does not support PIP for your TV (yea I know you can run the 2nd output to the 2nd tuner on the tv but who wants 2 remotes :) ) It comes with its own pip option. what i mean by that.. PIP is utilized by the satellite receiver itself not your tv.. so if you have an HDTV that doesn't have pip ???? don't know any that don't , but you would have that pip ability through the receiver. :)

I hope I didn't confuse anyone more :)

Last edited:
And if you ran it in Dual mode you could record 3 different things as goaliebob says and watch two other recorded programs on two seperate tvs for a total of 5 things happening at once. Technology at work :)

Is the HD really fast enough for five HD streams without dropping frames? And considering how much space HD takes, up, you won't have much room on the disk to do this, either...

But it's cool that it's possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)