622 - software v511 and channel locks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skierrob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Got software version 511 on my 622 today, and discovered I can no longer lock out several channels including channels 9900 and 9901. Called Dish tech support and was told this was an intentional change -- that we are supposed to use "favorites" to block out channels and "lock outs" only for channels with supposedly 'questionable' programming.

I told the tech I use locks instead of favorites so that I still see new channels when they go live and also so that I can get free previews every month without having to manually add and delete them. I was told I was out of luck -- that this is a permanent change so that tech support has "one less thing to handle" when troubleshooting calls by having customers unhide locked channels.

I think this is foolish.... any other comments? Any idea how to get the word to Dish that this is not a good thing?

Robert

I agree, the ability to lock out certain channels is a much stronger concept than building a favorites list. It is the only way that I can force my wife to tune the HD version of a channel rather than the first occurance of a channel number. When I try to accomplish the same thing with a favorites list, my wife always cycles through to the ALL channels list.

Not only are channel locks great for the reasons you have mentioned already, but also outstanding for search results! I like free movies, and don't want to pay for premium channels (I'm cheap, what can I say), so I lock out all the channels I don't get, including PPV channels. Then when I do a search, I only get results from the channels I'm subscribed to, not all the other BS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts