622 upgrade questions

ia_Homey

Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
I had been looking at getting a 622 earlier, but when I keep trying to find more information, I have more questions. I apologize if I am asking the same questions others have, but reading through the forums I couldn’t see all the answers.
Here is my current setup (all are leased):
1 811
1 522
Super Dish
DP34 switch

I currently have the AT 120 with locals, and the HD package. The DMA I live in is Davenport, IA. My current price per month is about $ 69.46. ($44.99 AT120 w/ locals, $5 for additional receiver, $5.98 for DVR fee, $9.99 for HD package, and $3.50 for tax)

I plan on getting a 622 and giving up my 811 and 522. I will be looking at the DishHD Silver package.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need a new dish or will the Super Dish still work?
2. Will I need a new switch?
3. Do I get the $100 refund for turning in my 811 for a 622? I can’t see anywhere on DISH.com.
4. By upgrading, is the 622 still leased?
5. Also does the $10 refund per month for 10 months also apply? It looks like I do when I sign up for the DishHD Gold package even though I currently have the HD package.
6. I take it if I don’t need a new dish or switch, I can’t install the 622 myself?

The 49.99 activation fee is waived if signing up for DHA for 18 months (Whatever DHA is). Also $199.99 for the 622 is charged up front. Looking at the fine print on dish.com, it looks like my new bill should be around $ 75 ($59.99 DishHD Silver, $5 for locals, $5.98 for DVR fee, around $3.75 for tax).

I have had good luck with talking to the tech support rep.’s, so will call them vs. CSR.

Thank you for any help.

Tom

1) You need a new dish. Most of the newer HD content including the voom channels are on 129 and mirrored on 61.5 sats. You'll need some system to get either of those slots. I believe your SD will still work for 110 and 119 but you'll need either a wing for 61.5 or 129, or replace the SD with a D1000 for 110/119/129. The first option might be preferred.

2) No - you probably won't need any separate switch at all for one or two receivers. A DPP Twin LNB on one dish (or the D1000) has a built-in switch. Alternately they might just use the DP34 and retain whatever LNBs you currently have, with two cables running to the 622.

3) I don't think so. They might give you $25.

4) Yes, unless you buy it. You have that option from several sources ($479?). Then you waive the lease fee.

5) Can't hurt to ask.

6) That also depends on some things. If you own all the equipment then I don't see why you can do a self-install (I did), but since you'll need to add or swap dishes and perhaps LNBs and maybe the eliminate the switch you might be better off letting them do it.

Good move using tech support vs. CSRs. Did you ask them any of these questions? Your price should be $64.99 for the HD Silver w/locals, 5.99 for the lease (I think you still have to pay that if you don't own the 622), and 5.98 for the DVR, plus tax. So you'll have a silght increase, but a whole bunch more HD content to watch - probably well worth it! DHA = Dish Home Advantage. Not sure if that applies to your HD programming, but I believe you will still have the 18-mo. commitment with a leased unit.

Welcome, BTW...

Last edited:
ia_Homey said:
3. Do I get the $100 refund for turning in my 811 for a 622? I can’t see anywhere on DISH.com.
4. By upgrading, is the 622 still leased?
5. Also does the $10 refund per month for 10 months also apply? It looks like I do when I sign up for the DishHD Gold package even though I currently have the HD package.
6. I take it if I don’t need a new dish or switch, I can’t install the 622 myself?

#3 I believe the credit is for upgrading to HD not for the box exactly I believe the link is www.dishnetwork.com/100back
#4 622 is lease unless you buy it somewhere else for 500-700 bux
#5 The 100 back is 10 bux for 10 months
#6 They won't let you install it yourself, I added another receiver and could have done it myself, but wasn't allowed. The installer this time was pretty nice, followed my instructions to a T as well. :)

bhelms said:
1) You need a new dish. Most of the newer HD content including the voom channels are on 129 and mirrored on 61.5 sats. You'll need some system to get either of those slots. I believe your SD will still work for 110 and 119 but you'll need either a wing for 61.5 or 129, or replace the SD with a D1000 for 110/119/129. The first option might be preferred.

2) No - you probably won't need any separate switch at all for one or two receivers. A DPP Twin LNB on one dish (or the D1000) has a built-in switch. Alternately they might just use the DP34 and retain whatever LNBs you currently have, with two cables running to the 622.

Thank you for the reply.

What 3 sat.'s are picked up by the superdish? My switch is located in my house vs. on the dish if that makes any difference on getting a new switch.

Tom

I believe the SD was designed to pick up 110, 119, 121. The HD content you're currently getting is at 110, but that's only a small part of the total of what's now available and you need either 61.5 or 129 for the rest. Where your HD LiLs will come from (if/when you can get them) will ultimately factor in to your decision.

Where a switch is located doesn't really make any difference, it's more a matter of what LNBs you currently have and if they can be reconfigured (with a new or added dish) to give you 110, 119, and either 61.5 or 129. The dual-tuner 622 can be fed with a single cable (using the "separator" that comes with the 622) if the main LNB or switch is Dish Pro Plus compliant. Otherwise you'll need a second cable. The DP34 is not compliant, the DPP44 switch and DPP Twin LNB are. If you have that DPP Twin and just one or two receivers you really don't even need an additional switch - there is one built into the DPP Twin. The DPP Twin can also accommodate a DP single LNB for the 61.5 or 129 sat. So whether or not you get a new switch really depends on what you already have vs. what you need for your new programming choice. I really don't think you'll need an external switch at all, let alone a new one.

BRgds...

I just signed to get the 622 upgrade, but the person in tech support was telling me that there is a $6.00 a month lease fee? How do I get rid of that? I hope the only way was to buy the 622. Also Dish’s website says nothing about this when trying to upgrade online. Any thoughts?

The only way to get rid of the lease fee is for you to buy the receiver and activate with out Dish installing it. I have owned all my receivers since 97 and I own my two 622 dvrs now. NO lease fees. You could buy one at the dishstore.net or dishdepot.com. Either one has them for 499.00 . OF course they also have sd receivers and the hd non dvr 211 too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)