622 vs. 722, 622 Crashed & Burned

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Vicorr

Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Antelope, CA
I just subscribed to HD Gold on 3/5/09. The Tech installed a 622 receiver and this morning (Sunday) it was not working. The receiver was making a loud humming noise and would not turn on or respond to anything. Dish Tech support tried to help but nothing worked. Today being Sunday, no one can come out and exchange the receiver even though I have had service done on a Sunday before.

My question is, what is better a 622 or 722 receiver? Does the 722 have more features than the 622? I have had numerous problems with other DVR's in the past and I want the most reliable DVR possible. The Tech is returning on Monday morning.

Thank you,
Vic

I just subscribed to HD Gold on 3/5/09. The Tech installed a 622 receiver and this morning (Sunday) it was not working. The receiver was making a loud humming noise and would not turn on or respond to anything. Dish Tech support tried to help but nothing worked. Today being Sunday, no one can come out and exchange the receiver even though I have had service done on a Sunday before.

My question is, what is better a 622 or 722 receiver? Does the 722 have more features than the 622? I have had numerous problems with other DVR's in the past and I want the most reliable DVR possible. The Tech is returning on Monday morning.

Thank you,
Vic

I'm not an expert, i would like to know too. But I believe the main differences is:

1) Color :rolleyes:
2) Size of HDD
3) Might have a better MPEG4 Chip

Other than that I think they're pretty similar. The newest 722K has an OTA module that has 2 tuners so you can record from 2 OTA stations (vs. 1 with 622/722) at the same time.

Thank you,
Vic
:welcome

i wonder why they installed 622 vs 722? was it cheaper for you? i would try to get them to exchange for 722. i had two 622's die in under a year. my 722 lasted about a year before i had to replace it.

I would avoid the 622. I've gone through 4 of them over the past year. Same issues with each one...constantly shutting down and resetting.
This last one went the longest... Nov of 08 to Feb 09, then today it started again. Every time I call I get the same thing... unplug unit, wait three minutes, plug unit directly into an outlet not a surge protector etc... mind-numbing to say the least.

Now I discover while on tech support that they signed me up for two more years and noted that I had a new dish installed in Nov of 08. This is not true... they called me to see if I was interested in having a new dish installed in 08 but I declined the offer...yet they change my contract terms anyway. This is the 2nd time they've signed me up for a service that I declined.

Here's the text from my conversation:

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you. In order to ensure we are providing you with the highest level of customer satisfaction, this conversation will be recorded.

You have been connected to (24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1.

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in DVR and HD, this is Lynette, with advanced technical support. I am sorry that you are having an issue today, but I will be happy to assist you today! Before we begin I will need to pull up your account. Can you please verify your name, phone number on the account, and the physical address including the and zip code?

MrBBb: XXXXXX

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Thank you.

MrBBb: This is my 4th 622 dvr to do this to me...

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: I am sorry about that, we will try to get it fixed for you!

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Can I please have the phone number or account number?

MrBBb: xxx xxx xxxx

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Can you please tell me what is happening with the receiver?

MrBBb: I was watching a game on TV and all of the sudden the DVR shutoff and has been rebooting ever since

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: All right can you please unplug the receiver for 3 minutes.

MrBBb: I've already done that.. no fix

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: When you plug it in can you please bypass any surge protector that the receiver may be plugged into?

MrBBb: tried a different outlet as well, and ive bypassed the surge protector.

MrBBb: again this is the 4th 622 that's done this to me.

MrBBb: I've had my outlets checked for proper wattage as well

MrBBb: Ive gone through each of these steps many times before...

MrBBb: i have them memorized

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Since you have had so many receivers replaced for this issue, we may need to send out a technician to make sure your system is properly grounded.

MrBBb: I had a tech out a few months back for that and it was OK

MrBBb: Time to realize (what we all know) that it is the 622

MrBBb: Ive had your own installers comment that its a bad unit.

MrBBb: last one said that they will not install a 622 any more only 722s

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Can you please press menu button, followed by the numbers 6, 1,3, then select details and scroll down until you see values 0-9.

MrBBb: not able to do that, the screen will not come up. just keeps rebooting when it powers up.

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: All right.

MrBBb: I need to be compensated for the outages. I have to pay you to come here and fix your problems... I loose all my recorded content with each new receiver... not cool

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Please give me just a minute to create this order for you then we will be able to discuss a credit.

MrBBb: k

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: When you receive your equipment please read the instructional letter first. If you do not ship us the malfunctioning equipment within ten days after you receive the replacement unit, your DISH Network account will be charged. Some equipment is excluded and need not be returned. Follow the instructions enclosed. If your equipment is returned and our testing department determines that there is customer damage, the warranty will be void. Please return only the malfunctioning equipment. We are shipping your equipment by UPS BLUE 2ND DAY and you should receive it in 3-5 days.

MrBBb: are you sending me another (refurbished) 622?

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: I am unable to determine what you will be sent, I do not have an option to choose.

MrBBb: thats a YES then.

MrBBb: nice

MrBBb: another machine to go bad in a few months

MrBBb: I need a 722 no extra charges

MrBBb: When does my contract expire?

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Unfortunately we can not choose the model that is sent out.

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: I do apologize for the inconvenience.

MrBBb: will you pay for me to transfer my recordings to the new DVR?

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Your contract will expire 11/20/10.

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Can you please clarify your last statement?

MrBBb: that is incorrect , I did not renew my contract... and I know there is only a few months left.

MrBBb: my contract started when I signed up for HD

MrBBb: as I recall it was for 18 months. (at most)

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: I do see that you had an upgrade on 11/20, and that is when your contract was extended for 24 months.

MrBBb: what was the upgrade?

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: You had a new dish installed.

MrBBb: that was not in 08

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: I am seeing that you had the 77 orbital location installed on 11/20, that is when your contract was extended.

MrBBb: not so. 11/20 of 08?

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Yes that is correct.

MrBBb: This is incorrect.

MrBBb: THere was no dish installed in November of 08

MrBBb: I signed a 18th month contract...

MrBBb: in 07 when I had HD installed.

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Ok I apologize for that, I researched further into the notes and it was offered to you at that time, but you declined it.

MrBBb: RIGHT

MrBBb: This is dirty!

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: I know, I am sorry!

MrBBb: so when is my contract up?

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Your commitment was actually up 3 days ago.

MrBBb: OK, I'm done!

MrBBb: come get your stuff

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Unfortunately you would have to call in to speak with the department that can come set that up for you.

MrBBb: OK, I'm calling now... what's the #

Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
Network connection re-established.

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: 1-800-333-DISH, is there anything else I can help you with?

MrBBb: nope.

(24DrDepT) Lynette A. 9Z1: Have I handled everything to your satisfaction?

MrBBb: not sure... this has not been good.

MrBBb: Dish has been underhanded since day one.​

Needless to say I'm getting rid of DishNetwork

AVOID VIP 622 RECEIVERS AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!! Im a DNS Tech out of IL. Everyone at my shop installs 722 instead of 622 receivers. The 622s always crash and keep resetting,its just a matter of time before that happens. The only difference is the hard drive size and color. other than that they are the same. The tech can install either a 622 or 722 at time if installation without modifying the work order, it just depend on what they have in their truck. REFUSE 622 RECEIVERS!!!!!!

AVOID VIP 622 RECEIVERS AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!! Im a DNS Tech out of IL. Everyone at my shop installs 722 instead of 622 receivers. The 622s always crash and keep resetting,its just a matter of time before that happens. The only difference is the hard drive size and color. other than that they are the same. The tech can install either a 622 or 722 at time if installation without modifying the work order, it just depend on what they have in their truck. REFUSE 622 RECEIVERS!!!!!!

I wouldn't take a 622 as a new install any more, but I have one of the original 622s from February of 2006 that gets used for hours each day without problems.

I'm certainly not saying you are wrong--just saying there are at least some still in good shape after 3+ years.:)

I have had the same 622 for 2 years now and never had an issue, and it gets used all of the time. Well, I did have audio to both TV1 and TV2 randomly cut out last week, but a reboot fixed that. Otherwise, no issues. Did they change something in the manufacturing process, or lower their QC standards?

I have gone through 3 622's in one year. The 722 I have has worked flawlessly. The 722 is supposed to download 1080p, but unfortunatly Dish does not recognize my 2008 Sony 1080p Bravia tv's and will not allow a download. Mute.
Mike

4) 622 VOD movies are 480i SD, 722 VOD movies are 1080i HD.

This is correct, as well as the post that says both do 1080p... however, there is only one 1080p VOD per month, the rest of the VOD on the 622 is 480 SD, & on the 722, they're 1080i...

Also, I find it funny that sooooo many push the 722 with the only reason given is that the "622 is trash" when the guts are the same except for the size of the hard drive???

I've had 2 622's over the course of 3 years, the only reason I've had 2 is because I wanted to hook up via HDMI & the jack went bad on the first one. I have no doubt that I'd probably still have the original if I'd left it hooked up w/ component...

Oh, & for what it's worth, I needed to go component when I got my PS3 and my SS receiver only had one optical input. I got lucky & my LG TV passes the 5.1 back out via optical from both the 622 & the PS3...

my $0.02

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)