622 with bad HDMI

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I have had my 622 for well over a year now but up until this point I have always used component cables. Well I just purchased a new 1080P TV and I wanted to use HDMI, but the TV says there's no signal with the HDMI. I remember tons of post a long time ago about the 622 HDMI outputs not working, but I've haven't read anything in a while. So what happened to the defective units? Will Dish Network replace the unit for free or what? Yes, I am leasing the 622.

I had a problem with my first 722's HDMI port. The CSR that I dealt with said they were "known issues" with DISH and sent me a replacement that worked fine. That was about sixteen months ago. No idea if that relates to the 622.

I had the problem with my 622, after using the HDMI for some time. I called and they sent a replacement and I sent back the bad unit. They did try to charge me shipping to send back the old unit but I got them to waive that.

Most of the troubles I have seen with them were the early 622s which had "Dish Digital Port" (or some such) instead of a licensed HDMI connector.

Yeah....they used to say (in essence) "Suck it up and use component" , but since they are now heavily promoting 1080p (which can only be displayed via HDMI) I would think that a bad port would be reason for an immediate 'Advanced Exchange'. (and yes...ask them to waive the $15 shipping)

I purchased two 622s within two months after they came out. Both had defective HDMI terminals. I utilized the component connections for about six months to give Dish time to hopefully correct the terminal design problem before requesting replacements. As soon as I requested replacements, Dish complied and the HDMI connections on the replacements have worked fine with no problems. There was no shipping charge; I carry the repair policy.

Last edited:
The 622 HDMI jacks are surface mounted components and the solder points pop loose after awhile from downforce from the cable. If you open up the 622, you can resolder those points and get your signal back. The 622s sent back in for this problem that are refurbished have a screw right above the jack where they have put in a brace in to keep the cable from popping the jack loose again.

The 622s sent back in for this problem that are refurbished have a screw right above the jack where they have put in a brace in to keep the cable from popping the jack loose again.

I have one with a screw above the jack and the HDMI port broke after 2 1/2 years without me touching the cable.

I have one with a screw above the jack and the HDMI port broke after 2 1/2 years without me touching the cable.

The Surface mounted jack can still pop a solder point or two with the brace in place, it's just harder to do.

You don't have to touch the cable, just its weight pulling down on the jack will eventually pop a point loose.

I have my cable ziptied to the receiver so that there is no pressure on the jack and I've never had a problem.

So if they replace the 622, I guess the only way to save the shows I have recorded are to buy an external hard drive. Is that correct? If I do that, can I use the external drive on the replacement 622? And finally, does anyone of any good deals on an external drive?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)