622 won't let me skip timers - sticks and reboots after a few minutes....

tigershere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I have a 522 and it's working fine but the 622 is acting pretty bad with the guide/timers. I can add a timer but if I go and try to delete it or just skip it it's now freezing most of the time. I skip listings every day so this is new to me.

I can delete old recordings and it seems to add timers fine but 6 times in a row I clicked on a set timer in the Guide and hit SKIP and it sits there in PiP and then reboots.

I did a reset/power off/check switch and it gotthe guide again as i assumed maybe the guide data was corrupt.

Any idea and is there any chance the sling.com guide could be causing it ?

I have a bad feeling this 622 is dying

Thanks for any info

:mad:

edit > 6.18 firmware discovered thanks to Halls question so is this a bug added by the new update ?

Skip a timed event and cross ya fingers!

Last edited:
Try unplugging it from the wall for 15 minutes, then plug it back in and see if that resolves your issues. If not, call Dish technical support. Good luck.

thanks, I am trying that now. I set a program to record at 5 am and it recorded but just 59 minutes. I think it reset on 'start up' and had to reboot. This all started last night around 10:30 Sat when i heard the unit reboot for no reason. After that i saw these timers issues. A few years ago I want to recall I had a similar problem and they had me purge the timers. Now I don't think I just deleted them but I might have. Is there a command that will purge and 'rebuild' that data structure and I thinking too PC here ?

anyways, I will know in 10 minutes or so if this gets it corrected. Then I start dumping to EXD and calling DISH.

Thanks
Tiger

How would the Sling guide be a cause of this ?

What software version do you have ? I'm gonna guess L6.18 because this is the first time I've heard of this... I manipulate timers fairly often with no problem but I'm still on L6.17 (last time I checked).

Well, that might have fixed it or let me finish fixing it. I waited 20 or so and once it was restarted I noticed the timer I had last tested was still showing as active yet it was not recording. So I skipped it. After doing that and not locking up I went, yah fixed. Then I looked at the guide and it was blank except for the skipped event for all events
So I looked at the timer page and it has all of my timers yet nothing is 'showing' as programmed to record. I checked and my guide was intact for 8 days or so but nothing appeared set. It didn't match the TIMER screen as there were 40 programs set to record

Unmapped to the guide ?

Anyways, I just deleted every timer and I have started recreating then. After 10 or so programs I did a test of adding a timer and then skipping it. SO far so good. It skipped without the 'freeze' and reboot.

So that might have gotten it as it just seems the timers and the guide were corrupted.

What's odd is all items I saw set to record were there after the reboot like the apprentice. Then I skipped that one item and every program for the next 8 days was blank. Odd but the ones I am adding are showing up just fine.

crossing fingers but so far so good, thanks!

Tiger

How would the Sling guide be a cause of this ?

What software version do you have ? I'm gonna guess L6.18 because this is the first time I've heard of this... I manipulate timers fairly often with no problem but I'm still on L6.17 (last time I checked).

I just didn't know how the unit communicated with the 'net' to show programmed items and if there was a problem due to that. I was grabbing at straws.
I noticed that my 522 skipped items in a blink of an eye and my 622 took a few to process the request. Even if we are talking 2 to 3 seconds it was different.

Now the revision is 6.18 and I thought i was on 6.17 until you just asked. Hum........

I would be willing to bet no one add/deletes/skips more programs than me daily and this is a first major deal in years and I abuse the guide 365 days a year then it goes to the crapper.
I was playing Resident evil 5 when i heard the unit reboot. I have no idea if I got 6.18 while I was playing the game. I doubt it but that's when this all started.

whatever caused that reboot last night also mucked the timers up so it appears.

I guess I better watch the .18 update thread too.

I just restored a timer > skipped > restored < skipped and it worked as it has 1,000,000 times in the past :)

I decided to add more timers and at 28 i got the message that you have to delete to add more as i reached the max. So did .18 add in a limit that is lower than before ? I had over 50 timers and many were old but they were there for a year at least.

Now 28 timers seems to not be a lot. I thought 100 was the limit but does that mean 100 individual counters or does it could one for say iron chef which hsa a lot of skipped and two set over the next 8 days

anyways the last time i got this message i was nera 100 timers/events

How often you add/delete/skip/restore timers should have no bearing. If you do this to (1) or (100), the behavior should be the same. Only (1) gets processed at a time. Reason I speculated on the L6.18 software was in case they "touched" some part of that code and broke something.

As for it taking longer on your 622 than on your 522 suggests something because the hardware on the 622 should be much more powerful. I remember more than once trying to record (2) shows and playback a 3rd one and it simply bogged the 522 down to the point of being un-usable. We can record (2) HD programs and playback (2) HD programs all at the same time and the 622 doesn't blink an eye...

I can also play 2 while recording two with no issues but I never tried 4 HD at once. SD I know is no problem

If they lowered the amount of scheduled events and you were already over it I am guessing nothing good would come from that. I just had so many events set!

or I had just a issue on my end which is what I am thinking but I can't recall the last time I got that message you have too many recordings. It was years ago. Last night I could add events fine but skipping is what nuked me and not every time but deleting a timer was bad.

It's just odd it now picks the time to freeze every time I tried to skip an event and it started last night. Fluke? probably

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)