625 installation with 1 cable? diplexers?

AlexTheMan

Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
I have Comcast DVR at my home as well as Dish for an international package. I currently have the 301 receiver for Dish. The system was installed a year ago.

With the dish-it-now offer, I can get a replacement receiver for free and will just have to pay the $5.95 DVR fee. I would like to upgrade to the 625, however I have only one cable running from the LNB to my receiver. I am not sure if I have a DP LNB or not although I think I do.

Now Dish can just ship to me the 625 for free if I intstall it myself. Looking at the back of the 625, it requires 2 satellite in cables. My guess is that if I only use one cable, I will lose the 2nd tuner, is that right? Will it even work with one cable only?

My second issue is trying to use my 304 receiver to connect to another TV in another room. That room has only one cable outlet next to the TV. I would like to receive both Cable and Dish signals to the TV. Will I need another cable run from the LNB and then use a diplexer/splitter? Will changing the LNB to DP (if it not) or DPP allows for getting signal to the second TV without another cable run from the LNB. I am kinda lost as you can tell.

622s work with one cable--although you occasioanlly geta message telling you that you shoudl check the cables. But yes only one satellite tuner works if you do this.

I do nott hink that you can run cable and satellite on one line. Cable uses too widea frequency range.

Thanks Geronimo for the quick reply. Is it possible to use a simple splitter before the 625/622 to split the signal and use 2 tuners? My guess is no but I would wait for an answer from a pro :)

Last edited:
You can't combine catv and sat signals through a diplexer with much reliability. Ive had it work a little but eventually it fails. To properly hook up your 625 you need a Dish Pro Plus DPP twin, not a DP. This will allow you to use just the 1 cable with the DPP seperator. The 625 does not work right with only one line on DP.

And no you cannot use a splitter to run another tuner. You will need one line run to the 625 from the LNB and a second line from the LNB to the 301.

Is it possible to use a simple splitter before the 625/622 to split the signal and use 2 tuners?
NO! You must use a device known as a "separator". I bought one on a popular auction site for $6 delivered. Note that the separator can only be used in conjunction with a DishPro+ LNB or switch. It might be cheaper to buy a new dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)