65 Samsung KS9000 or Sony 65 XBR-930D

That's the same question I was asking myself before I fell in love with the idea of FALD. I'm going to wait for TVs that are less of a compromise between brightness (quantum dot) and dynamic range (OLED).

That's the same question I was asking myself before I fell in love with the idea of FALD. I'm going to wait for TVs that are less of a compromise between brightness (quantum dot) and dynamic range (OLED).

Yeah LG jump on the OLED wagon but from seeing them line up with some of the top Sony's and Samsung's to me there is not a real night and day difference. The main thing is 4k and the resolution which is the same across the board and looks the same for most of the manufacturers especially the main 3. Which is Sony,Samsung,LG are the main 3 out there. :)

Until such time as there is at least 1/3rd of the content I watch is looking a lot better than HD, I don't think it is time for UHD. Truth be told, I'd probably be happy with HDR and WCG on a 1080p display.

I went through this last month with these exact sets. I ended up with the Samsung 65KS9000, but it was a very close call.

I see these other comments on waiting for something better, but the problem I have is if you follow this philosophy, there is always something a bit better on the horizon. One either ends up with analysis paralysis, or end up with the set of the month and upgrade several times a year. ($$$)

My philosophy is to look at the emerging standards and wait until the technology stabilizes. Then upgrade and stop looking until the need arises. The reason for me was a bedroom TV that failed and a 50" Panny plasma that was showing its age. I moved the Panny to the bedroom and the new Samsung into the family room.

OK, now the comparisons. Forget all they hype about proprietary technology. The key is in what you see, especially what you will see in a properly calibrated set. You are not going to be able to tell much in the torch mode they show at the stores. Try to find a sympathetic salesperson and let them know you are willing to buy, but need to see what you are getting. You aren't going to be able to do a full calibration, but you can use the picture mode settings to get you close enough to evaluate. Try to set the TV to "cinema" or "THX" mode. Double check the video settings to make sure contrast is set down, color temperature is at 65k, sharpness is set down, edge enhancement is off, etc. Only then, start comparing pictures. Hopefully you can use the same source for each.

When I did this, I found that the Sony and the Samsung were so close that it was impossible to choose between them. It really was a coin flip for me. I ended up choosing Samsung mostly because of the fact that I have had reliability issues with Sony XBR in the past. The Samsung was initially $100 higher, but it went on sale the next week, and I got a $200 refund.

I went in loving the blacks on the LG and being very impressed. I was ready to go with it. However, after adjusting the picture, the difference wasn't nearly as striking. Mind you, I still preferred the picture, but I simply couldn't justify the extra couple thousand I needed to get the same video processing on the LG. The lower end LG OLED sets really are more comparable to the Samsung 6000 or 8000 series in terms of HDR, quantum dot and basic upconversion. I could see the artifacts, and needed to go to the higher priced model if I wanted the OLED.

BTW, don't even think about the built in audio. You can't believe the junk sound they put into a $2500 TV these days. Its never been good, but the sound was horrible on all the sets I auditioned. Doesn't matter to me, as it all gets fed into a 7.1 system with classic Klipsch speakers, but if you don't have a dedicated HT setup, plan on budgeting at least for a good soundbar.

I have now had the Samsung up on the wall for 3 weeks, and have watched 4k from Netflix and 1080p broadcast and BluRay. I see a more noticeable difference on broadcast between OTA and TWC than I did with the plasma. It is actually striking. I expect to upgrade to UHD player soon, but I am waiting for the Oppo.

Reactions: Poke
I see these other comments on waiting for something better, but the problem I have is if you follow this philosophy, there is always something a bit better on the horizon. One either ends up with analysis paralysis, or end up with the set of the month and upgrade several times a year. ($$$)
Be honest -- do you really think that all that UHD will be is represented by the current crop of TVs? I see room for 12 bit processing (if not displays) and hopefully brighter OLEDs as well as the wider adoption of FALD in LCDs. That's not even considering ATSC 3.0 support.

That said, your analysis was otherwise very thoughtful and mirrors a lot of my own thinking.

Be honest -- do you really think that all that UHD will be is represented by the current crop of TVs? I see room for 12 bit processing (if not displays) and hopefully brighter OLEDs as well as the wider adoption of FALD in LCDs. That's not even considering ATSC 3.0 support.

That said, your analysis was otherwise very thoughtful and mirrors a lot of my own thinking.

No, that's why I made the statement that something better is always ready in "just wait a bit". TVs need to evolve and improve, and they will, but you have to commit at some point.

I predict ATSC 3.0 won't be viable for at least 7-10 years. Not a technical problem. It is the same issue with adoption of HDTV in the late 90s. The standard would not allow transition without dual broadcasting for awhile as ATSC 3 is not backward compatible. People cannot be expected to immediately buy new sets or converter boxes, so the parallel broadcast must be accomodated. The reason this is a greater problem than in the 1990s is that the government is in the process of grabbing back half of the spectrum for increased broadband services. Some markets don't have enough remaining bandwidth to cover the existing stations, much less support duplicate ones. All of this will delay, and possibly kill ATSC 3.0 as a broadcast standard.

No, that's why I made the statement that something better is always ready in "just wait a bit". TVs need to evolve and improve, and they will, but you have to commit at some point.
To me that point comes after the content is there to take advantage of it. The only thing slower than progress on ATSC 3.0 is the availability of real UHD content. I'm not sure 3D was this slow to ramp up.
I predict ATSC 3.0 won't be viable for at least 7-10 years.
The longer they wait, the likelier the repack door will close in front of them -- and they know it. ATSC 3.0 has a rather narrow window that will likely start closing in larger markets in five years.
All of this will delay, and possibly kill ATSC 3.0 as a broadcast standard.
The congressional mandate is there to make more efficient use and ATSC 3.0 is what the industry is offering. Even though it isn't complete, ATSC 3.0 has been submitted to the FCC for consideration for commercial use so it seems likely that it is coming in one form or another.

While much of ATSC 3.0 probably won't impact TVs for a while, most of us don't buy home theater TVs but once every 8-10 years and 2K+ is still a lot of money to spend to have access to a handful of TV shows and about as many compelling theatrical movies.

I submit that the egg has to come first. Otherwise, we're going to have egg on our faces.

I went through this last month with these exact sets. I ended up with the Samsung 65KS9000, but it was a very close call.

My philosophy is to look at the emerging standards and wait until the technology stabilizes. Then upgrade and stop looking until the need arises. The reason for me was a bedroom TV that failed and a 50" Panny plasma that was showing its age. I moved the Panny to the bedroom and the new Samsung into the family room.

OK, now the comparisons. Forget all they hype about proprietary technology. The key is in what you see, especially what you will see in a properly calibrated set. You are not going to be able to tell much in the torch mode they show at the stores. Try to find a sympathetic salesperson and let them know you are willing to buy, but need to see what you are getting. You aren't going to be able to do a full calibration, but you can use the picture mode settings to get you close enough to evaluate. Try to set the TV to "cinema" or "THX" mode. Double check the video settings to make sure contrast is set down, color temperature is at 65k, sharpness is set down, edge enhancement is off, etc. Only then, start comparing pictures. Hopefully you can use the same source for each.

When I did this, I found that the Sony and the Samsung were so close that it was impossible to choose between them. It really was a coin flip for me. I ended up choosing Samsung mostly because of the fact that I have had reliability issues with Sony XBR in the past. The Samsung was initially $100 higher, but it went on sale the next week, and I got a $200 refund.

I went in loving the blacks on the LG and being very impressed. I was ready to go with it. However, after adjusting the picture, the difference wasn't nearly as striking. Mind you, I still preferred the picture, but I simply couldn't justify the extra couple thousand I needed to get the same video processing on the LG. The lower end LG OLED sets really are more comparable to the Samsung 6000 or 8000 series in terms of HDR, quantum dot and basic upconversion. I could see the artifacts, and needed to go to the higher priced model if I wanted the OLED.

BTW, don't even think about the built in audio. You can't believe the junk sound they put into a $2500 TV these days. Its never been good, but the sound was horrible on all the sets I auditioned. Doesn't matter to me, as it all gets fed into a 7.1 system with classic Klipsch speakers, but if you don't have a dedicated HT setup, plan on budgeting at least for a good soundbar.

I have now had the Samsung up on the wall for 3 weeks, and have watched 4k from Netflix and 1080p broadcast and BluRay. I see a more noticeable difference on broadcast between OTA and TWC than I did with the plasma. It is actually striking. I expect to upgrade to UHD player soon, but I am waiting for the Oppo.

Thanks for your input! Yeah I plan on going with the Samsung and I plan on getting their 4K Ultra HD Player as well since I have already bought some 4K movies as well. I like the One Connect box as well makes it easy to run cables so forth so I will for sure post some photos once I get everything set up.. :)

Thanks for your input! Yeah I plan on going with the Samsung and I plan on getting their 4K Ultra HD Player as well since I have already bought some 4K movies as well. I like the One Connect box as well makes it easy to run cables so forth so I will for sure post some photos once I get everything set up.. :)
I went for the Sammy UHD player this week as well. Best Buy is offering it for $199 on their early black Friday deal.
I was going to wait for the Oppo, but decided the Samsung would be OK for now.

Reactions: Poke
I went for the Sammy UHD player this week as well. Best Buy is offering it for $199 on their early black Friday deal.
I was going to wait for the Oppo, but decided the Samsung would be OK for now.

Yeah there not too many to choose from at the moment but I figured that model will do everything I need it to do. I have been buying most of the movies when I can on 4K so can't wait to try them out. I plan on getting the PS4 Pro at some point as well.. :)

Sony. I have the 70 in my bedroom 4K. I'm blown away.
Ok I'm biased always been a Sony guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I get my 55 Inch KS9000 and Samsung 4K player delivered this Sunday by Best Buy I really wasted the 65 but it would just not fit in my corner of our room. Anyway I will let everyone know what I think about the unit once I get everything setup next week.. :)

Well I get my 55 Inch KS9000 and Samsung 4K player delivered this Sunday by Best Buy I really wasted the 65 but it would just not fit in my corner of our room. Anyway I will let everyone know what I think about the unit once I get everything setup next week.. :)

I've had the KS9500 and the 930D.
To me HDR in its present state is way overhyped and too many unknowns.
I decided to keep my Sammy 8550 and let HDR mature a bit.....I mean a lot!
Of the 2 the Sammy was better.
You should be happy with your purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: KAB and navychop
I've had the KS9500 and the 930D.
To me HDR in its present state is way overhyped and too many unknowns.
I decided to keep my Sammy 8550 and let HDR mature a bit.....I mean a lot!
Of the 2 the Sammy was better.
You should be happy with your purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yeah we will see I have plenty of movie titles in 4K HDR so you should see some difference.

Well BB has missed putting my TV on their main truck twice now luckily we are having some flooring work done in the main room so I don't need it right but just my luck.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts