7.1 Speaker Wallplate Connection

14karat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hernando, Mississippi
Here's the deal - we are installing a 7.1 system into a class/conference room.
Speakers will be wall-mounted & fixed.
The equipment will be housed in a locking, roll-around cabinet that will be rolled in & out of the room as needed.
I need ideas on a SINGLE plug for the speaker connections. I really thought there would be something out there for this, but searches have turned up nothing.
I'm considering a 232C connector (25 pin)...
Anybody have any better ideas?

Here's the deal - we are installing a 7.1 system into a class/conference room.
Speakers will be wall-mounted & fixed.
The equipment will be housed in a locking, roll-around cabinet that will be rolled in & out of the room as needed.
I need ideas on a SINGLE plug for the speaker connections. I really thought there would be something out there for this, but searches have turned up nothing.
I'm considering a 232C connector (25 pin)...
Anybody have any better ideas?

may or may not help:
For only $16.40 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3-Gang 7.1 Surround Sound Distribution Wall Plate | Banana Binding Post Wall Plate

For only $30.95 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 2-Gang 7.2 Surround Sound Distribution Wall Plate | Banana Binding Post Wall Plate

I guess we're losing the connection here...
I'm looking for a SINGLE plug solution.
As I said, I'm considering a 232 type (25 pin) connector, but was hopeful there would be a better option...

A-hah! Not sure about the one you pointed out - the links are all broken on it, but the MLX 15-pin is looking a little better... still digging tho...
Thanks!

Here's some more info.

Hmm - not sure what happened there! I only picked Molex because I have a long, successful history with them (not with this particular connector however). The "female" part could be panel or wall-plate mounted, and the other end, on the roll-around cart, would be a male plug.

Here some more info from that link:

Molex's line of HMC Heavy Duty Rectangular Connectors offer a unique new design and user-friendly features compared to traditional-style Heavy Duty connectors for robotic and other industrial applications.

Molex's range of industrial rectangular connectors also includes HTC, a heavy duty version which is compatible to a number of legacy designs in the marketplace; and CRC, a miniature range of shielded rectangular connectors that is ideal for smaller robotic or machinery applications.

The HMC series features:
Crescent-shaped metal hood with a rotating lock on the cable side that can be actuated with one hand. This provides space savings and easy mating and unmating compared to traditional robotic connectors that utilize locks on each side requiring a two-handed action.
Easy field removal of housing modules.
Single module type that enables male or female housings to be loaded on either side.
Multi-module type that also allows gender interchanging of housings, as well as hybrid configurations using different terminal inserts.
Cable clamp solution that integrates sealed ring and holder into one-piece cover.
Panel-Mount and Wire-to-Wire versions.
Sealing to protect against dust and contaminants.
Signal and power versions in 6, 10, 12, 20 and 35 amperes.
12-72 circuits.
Agency ratings such as IP65, VDE 0110, TUV, UL, CSA

Attachments

• hmc_intro.jpg
    hmc_intro.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 216
Well... couple of places I've looked are direct-ship distributors with a min order qty of 100+...

Yeesh... I'm just looking for one set. You have any direct seller links?

Well... couple of places I've looked are direct-ship distributors with a min order qty of 100+...

Yeesh... I'm just looking for one set. You have any direct seller links?

You need to specify evaluation order, and likely talk to a person. I have found that DigiKey (Digi-Key Corporation - USA Home Page) is pretty good at supplying eval stuff, especially if you are a legit business.

I would strongly recommend against DB connectors for two reasons. First, they are generally rated for 26 gauge wire, and you probably want at least 16 ga for your speaker wires. Second, a DB series connector, especially DB-25 or DB-9 will immediately have somebody plugging in RS-232 or some other signal. Not good.

I personally would go with the Amphenol circular series with 14-16 connectors that will handle 16 gauge wire. Look for the solder in type.

Ok - finally found something at Digi-Key I can work with...
Digi-Key - PT06E20-16P(470)-ND (Amphenol Industrial Operations - PT06E20-16P(470))
and
Digi-Key - PT02A20-16S(025)-ND (Amphenol Industrial Operations - PT02A20-16S(025))

Pretty much exactly what I set out to find... a bit more pricey than I had wanted, but think it will do... thanks y'all!

Yep, pretty much what I was thinking of. It may be pricey, but it is mil-spec and the sort of stuff we use in industrial applications. You won't have to worry about it breaking, or somebody butchering it, so the cost will be worth it in the long run.

Good luck on your project.