7/3 HD Cinema Premiere Movies

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
CinemaClassics-HD:
The Pit and the Pendulum ***+ (1961, Horror)

B000038IFO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Summary:After the success of "House of Usher," American International asked director Roger Corman to "adapt" another Edgar Allen Poe work to the screen. "The Pit and the Pendulum" seemed the logical choice, although the story itself is essentially unfilmable. Fortunately, screenwriter Richard Matheson (who did some of his best work for Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone") simply reused the "House of Usher" story line and tacked on "The Pit and the Pendulum" as the climatic scene. As long as Vincent Price was engaged in his celebrated over the top performance as Nicholas Medina, neither horror fans nor American lit majors were going to notice in this 1961 film.

The film is set in 16th century Spain as young Francis Barnard (John Kerr) arrives at the castle of Don Nicholas Medina (Price) to investigate the death of his sister, Elizabeth (Barbara Steele), the Don's wife. But all Francis gets from Nicholas is a...story about Elizabeth dying from "something in her blood." The young man investigates further and discovers that Nicholas had driven Elizabeth over the edge. It seems that Nicholas's father Sebastian was a leader of the Spanish Inquisition, had killed hundreds of people in the castle's crypts and had caught his wife in adultery with his brother. Young Nicholas watched his father bury his mother alive in a wall (sound familiar Poe fans?) and ended up scarred for life (you think?). Meanwhile, Nicholas is being haunted by ghostly going ons and becomes convinced he has buried his wife alive and she has returned to haunt him. When Elizabeth apparently rises from her tomb to confront him, Nicholas's mind snaps and he is driven into a homicidal dementia, which ends up with Francis being confronted with the title's instrument of torture as the film makes its way to the requisite

"The Pit and the Pendulum" improves slightly on the first film in the AIP Poe series. Certainly the visual elements by art director Daniel Haller are a vast improvement, from the eighteen-foot long one-ton pendulum to Medina's castle for which Haller gutted an entire soundstage and dressed all the way up to the roof to great effect. The Freudian implications beloved by Corman have to do with Nicholas's feelings for his mother instead of the brother-sister vibes we get in "House of Usher." Price is gloriously over the top but John Kerr does nothing with his role as Francis and for some reason Barbara Steele's performance is marred by the fact her voice has been redubbed. For me, what makes "The Pit and the Pendulum" memorable is the unforgettable final [scenes]. Irony can be both just and horrible at the same time.

Epics-HD: The Old Settler 2001 (Special)

B00005MIUW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Summary: I ran across this movie quite by accident, and I am glad that I did. I really loved it. The acting by the sisters,(Allen and Rashad) were nothing short of outstanding. My only thing is at the end, I wasn't sure whether or not Husband was reluctant to meet up or if Ms Rashad's character changed her mind. I like to feel that the military probably caught up with him and took him.After all, it was during the Second World War, and not many were exempt from service. That was my only concern. Other than that, I loved it. My other problem is the fact that back in the day, ladies that never married were treated real bad and called "settlers". I felt that was real disrespectful. I was so glad though to see a young brother fall for Ms Rashad's character, and was applauding it all the way. I am so glad that it don't apply today. Kudos to the cast for this movie.

Divine-HD: Les Girls ***+ (1957, Musical)

6301972333.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Summary: Never heard of Kay Kendall? Chic, leggy, funny Kay Kendall? Check out Les Girls, one of the best moments for the beautiful British actress (and wife of Rex Harrison), whose promising career ended when she died two years after this film's 1957 release. A cheeky musical variation on Rashomon, the film gives three flashbacks on the Parisian sojourn of a dance master (Gene Kelly) and his featured artists (Kendall, Tania Elg, Mitzi Gaynor). The film isn't a peak outing for director George Cukor, and the Cole Porter songs are infrequent and not top-drawer. But there's a kooky dance number inspired by motorcycle gangs (Kelly in Wild Ones territory), and Kendall has a long drunk scene that she handles with regal aplomb. A stuffy suitor asks les girls why they spend their youth scurrying around Europe in a dance troupe: "Is having fun so important?" The film answers a resounding "mais oui." -- Robert Horton

Directed by the inimitable George Cukor, Les Girls is a delightful romantic musical comedy featuring a lilting Cole Porter score and sparkling performances by Gene Kelly, Ray Kendall, Mitzi Gaynor, and Taina Elg at their dancing, singing, comic best.

Some years after the break-up of the musical act "Barry Nichols and Les Girls," the members have a reunion under auspicious circumstances. It seems Sybil (Kendall) has published her memoirs of her years with Les Girls, including an amusing anecdote of how Angele (Elg) attempted suicide when Barry (Kelly) spurned her. Angele sues for libel, and in her testimony recounts how it was Sybil who attempted suicide when Barry left her. But we haven't heard Jay's (Gaynor) side of the story yet! Or perhaps only Barry can resolve this musical comedy version of Rashomon? With its witty story, delightful musical numbers, and talented cast, Les Girls is tres great!

Cinema (101): Dingo **+ (1991, Drama)

194157.jpg

Summary: Colin Friels stars as John "Dingo" Anderson, an Australian trapper and family man whose biggest aspiration is to play trumpet with legendary horn man Billy Cross (Miles Davis). The frustration of discovering his wife's infidelity leaves him at a crossroads where he must choose between repairing his marriage and following his musical dream. He decides to flee to Paris and chase his dream in the jazz clubs of the City of Lights. This was the first and last screen appearance for music legend Davis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)