7/8 FEC great for tweaking dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Don't know if anyone else used this system ever. If you tune to the muxes that use 7/8 FEC when peaking your dish you get much finer alignment. This is because the 7/8 FEC is so critical. I used HBO on G1 last year to peak my N/S and that dialed my bottom end in. Today I used Equity on G3/C on my elevation and found out I was off a few turns. Equity on G3/C used to get breakup if I moved the dish to the east a bit now it don't, it's 100% solid through the whole sweep of G3. Alot less fluctuation on My Pansat's meter also.

I thought my dish was tracking great before. Now it's even better. Signals went up on quite a few birds. It's tracking fantastic from P9 to AMC-8.

Try it you'll like it :)

good point. I noticed that when aiming my dish at G3 for the equity stuff. You lean on the dish a smidge and the signal would break up :)

good point. I noticed that when aiming my dish at G3 for the equity stuff. You lean on the dish a smidge and the signal would break up :)

What I did on the Equity mux was first pushed up and down on the dish. Pushing down gave me more signal, so I loosened the threaded rod and slowly gave it a few cranks, the signal increased almost 30 points. Then I went inside and checked HBO on G1 and see if I lost anything. I didn't so I new the head was good still. Then I checked the whole arc and saw that my qualty numbers went up everywhere. So I must have been a bit off on elevation. The 7/8's are a pain but when dialed in right work great.

I think alot of Equity's reception problems are because of interference from adjacent birds, and not properly aligned dishes.

true. The FEC on the KU side of Equity stuff is 3/4

Ya, 3/4 is alot more forgiving. Im working on putting together a G-10/KU fixed system up this summer. Fixed dishes are great since they don't move around in the wind. My 12 foot is one big sail and has a very narrow beamwidth.

Don't know if anyone else used this system ever. If you tune to the muxes that use 7/8 FEC when peaking your dish you get much finer alignment. This is because the 7/8 FEC is so critical. I used HBO on G1 last year to peak my N/S and that dialed my bottom end in. Today I used Equity on G3/C on my elevation and found out I was off a few turns. Equity on G3/C used to get breakup if I moved the dish to the east a bit now it don't, it's 100% solid through the whole sweep of G3. Alot less fluctuation on My Pansat's meter also.

I thought my dish was tracking great before. Now it's even better. Signals went up on quite a few birds. It's tracking fantastic from P9 to AMC-8.

Try it you'll like it :)
Nice work there tvropro. Don't forget to tweak that skew. Find a really strong transponder and switch your reciever to the opposite polarity if you can still see the the signal on your meter in the menu, null it out so you can't or so it is at the lowest level. Don't forget to tweak that focal length while your up there:)

Nice work there tvropro. Don't forget to tweak that skew. Find a really strong transponder and switch your reciever to the opposite polarity if you can still see the the signal on your meter in the menu, null it out so you can't or so it is at the lowest level. Don't forget to tweak that focal length while your up there:)

Great advice. I've been peaking dishes for a long time. People don't understand that the proper focal length, skew, feedhorn centering, f/d ratio, and polar axis have alot to do with getting the best performing system. Not to mention the head, elevation and declination.

Years ago when the birds were 5 watts it was easier to get that last bit of signal out of the dish. Since they became stronger you can fudge and still get an acceptable level and think your there.

One thing I did notice last night since yesterdays adjustments is that my HBO's on G1 has the meter pegged at 99 quality on my 4DTV. That in itself is hard to achieve. I checked all the channels, 4D, Analog and FTA and everything is reading higher. A 12 foot dish is a bit more critical to align exactly but when you hit that sweet spot, WOW :clap is all I can say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)