72.5 dish setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanswx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
Champaign, IL
It's been a long day already, so here's the scoop.

I started out the day at a bright and early 5:00am to begin the installation. I already have one single dish with a dual LNB and the goal was to install the 2nd dish and multiswitch to point at the 72.5 bird. I was informed last week on this forum that there was no way I could see the 72.5 sat without a multiswitch, so that was on the list of things to do today as well. After spending about 3.5 hours cutting cable and putting on the lovely F connectors from Radio Shack, I was ready to go outside and 'enjoy' the part of installing the dish.

I removed the 2 cables off the original LNB and hooked them up to the multiswitch. Then I hooked up the newly cut/connectord (is that a word) cables to each dish. I mounted the 2nd dish, pointed it in the general direction of the 72.5 sat and hooked up the sat signal finder. The calculations I pulled offline showed that for my location, I should point around 157 degrees and 41 elevation. Using a generic compass, I pointed in that direction and started hearing the sat finder making noise. After adjusting the left/right for the best signal, I went after up/down and got the best signal I could.

I noted the spot and then searched around the area for any other signals and could not find any at all. I relocated the strong signal around 158 degrees and locked her in. I then went off the roof and hooked up all the cables to the 4x4 Eagle Aspen (MS44D) multiswitch. The 101 cables went to Sat A and the 72.5 cables went to the Sat B inputs. Then I hooked up my 3 output cables to Out 1, 2, and 3.

I got back in and performed the auto-satellite detection on my RCA DVR80. It's running v3.1.1d-01-2-321 software. It detected the 4x4 multiswitch, but only showed the 101 bird on each tuner. I reset the receiver and tried again, but no luck there either. I then went back on the roof for a 2nd signal check and still only found the one bird in that direction.

So I'm at a loss here. Is there something specific I need to do for the DVR80 to see the 72.5 satellite? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems the locals are coming online here in Champaign on Oct 12th (Tuesday), so I'd like to get these issues figured out before then. Thanks to all!!

-Stan

It works!

Not satisfied with my install yesterday, I decided to test the new dish to see if I was getting 1-16 transponders from 72.5. I plugged it directly into the receiver, bypassing the switch and zilch! I decided to crawl back up on the roof with someone on the ground watching the receiver this time. I stuck it on transponder 4, that way I'd know the difference between 101 and 72.5. I took the 72.5 dish completely off the mount and hand held it to find the bird. My helper in the house keyed up the radio we were using and said 'I just saw a signal'. So I hooked up the sat finder and zeroed in on it. I marked the spot and then mounted it back on the mount. I noticed it's pointing up over and building and possibly a distant tree, but still getting signals in the low 90's on all 16 transponders. I came back inside and did an auto-detect on both the RCA DVR80 and RCA DRD430RH and they both see the bird now! I guess I should have checked it yesterday when I was fooling around with it, but better late than never. I now get the 495/496 test channels in the guide, so hopefully Tuesday will bring the locals. Thanks to all for your help, it's been quite a learning experience this weekend.

-Stan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)