721/821 connection issues

erasmu

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
I have an HDTV in one room and a smaller regular TV in another room. Both rooms have two lines each, coming from my satellite dish. I believe it is a quad LNB. I have two receivers in each room. In the room with the HDTV I have an 811. I also want to connect my new 721 up to the HDTV. What I was planning to do since I do not have two dedicated lines for the 721, is to hook one dedicated line directly to input 1 of the 721. Then I would like to use a splitter on the other line in that room. From the splitter I would run to the 811 input and also to input 2 of the 721. I realize that both lines from the splitter must see the same channel, but that does not bother me. I hope that using the 721 I can record two stations and also play back a prerecorded program. Would the 811 have to be turned off to do this? Or can I have the 811 set to the same channel as input 2 of the 721? My dealer of record does not do the 721 promotion and install so I have purchased the receiver from another dealer, but do not get installation. That is why I need to get by with the existing four lines. Are there problems with this setup? If I am willing to have the installation modified, what do I need to add and how must it be connected to have both the 721 and 811 independent? Thanks for any help. :confused:

You can NOT split a E* satellite feed (until the DP44+ and it's 'splitter' are released - if ever).

You don't say what the other receiver is - as in whether it needs both feeds. If you can free one of those up, you're good to go. Otherwise, you're gonna need an appropriate 3-to-4 switch.

If you're not planning on a third satellite feed (like 61 or 148), you can put the switch inside - as long as you don't exceed the distance limits.

The other receiver is the 811. There are two receivers in the other room using both of those connections. What happens if a signal splitter is used? No signal on either receiver? Weak signal? Interference? If the splitter idea cannot work, will the 721 work with only one line hooked up?

erasmu said:
The other receiver is the 811. There are two receivers in the other room using both of those connections. What happens if a signal splitter is used? No signal on either receiver? Weak signal? Interference? If the splitter idea cannot work, will the 721 work with only one line hooked up?
The satellite feed is controlled by signals sent from the receiver. Having 2 receivers trying to control one line will cause any number of problems - possibly even damaging the equipment (switches, LNBFs, receivers).

Don't do it. Read this noting that it only explains what happens with a single LNB - not a dual, twin, or quad, and how a simple switch works with a dual. Multiple satellites complicates matters.

If you're using DishPro gear, get a DP34 ($120). If it's Legacy, a SW64 ($200). In a lot of cases, you're better off just hanging another Dish 500 ($75)

Thanks everyone for all the good information. While it was not what I hoped to hear, it will save me a lot of problems. I plan to get a DP34 switch. Then I will either install it or more likely have someone else do it. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts