721 L1.15 Bug Reports

I want 1.12 BACK, now! Think they'll send it to me :)

How can a timer bug like this get by the beta testing? How many beta testers are there? Cause if this bug was there then, they sure need more beta testers!

Nah, they will not do it. They would offer you a 510 in exchange instead, lol. My dang receiver rebooted while I was changing channels last night. Man it keeps getting buggier and buggier.

Well the triple conflict screen and weather are pretty cool. The new recording option seems useless unless you watch the show from the very beginning of an event

I've got the same bug as previously mentioned: After watching a recorded event, "cancel", or "erase", only brings you back to the stopped event. Along the same vein: While watching live, then selecting a PVR event: It seems to allow you to select the PVR event, but immediately goes back to live.

I hope I'm being clear enough...

At either rate, doing a tuner (PIP) swap or reboot, temporarily resolves the issue. Interestingly, I only encountered this bug starting about 2 days ago.

My 721 is having a couple of problems with L 1.15.

When I watch a recorded show to the end and then press stop the screen will freeze with the stop window showing. I can hit cancel to get out of it but when I try to erase the program it will try to erase it and then freeze for several seconds and come right back to the screen showing the options for watching the recorded show. From this point I can watch the program again but can't erase it or exit to get back to normal live viewing.

I have discovered that I can press PIP and then swap to the other tuner and then press PVR and finally erase the errant program.

Another problem is with switching channels. Sometimes it takes 5 to 10 seconds to change channels - a blank screen shows with the title frame at the top until it finally makes the change.

Finally, some of the programs that I have been recording appear to have errors. When I press the PVR button and then try to view a recorded show I will see "Unknown Record" at the top. Sometimes I can still watch the show and sometimes it will not let me see it at all.

I had none of these problems with L1.12. They all started immediately after L1.15 was downloaded.

120inna55 said:
I've got the same bug as previously mentioned: After watching a recorded event, "cancel", or "erase", only brings you back to the stopped event. Along the same vein: While watching live, then selecting a PVR event: It seems to allow you to select the PVR event, but immediately goes back to live.

At either rate, doing a tuner (PIP) swap or reboot, temporarily resolves the issue. Interestingly, I only encountered this bug starting about 2 days ago.

Found a nasty multiplier on this HUGE bug... If you have no satellite signal - (as we have had during the 20inches of snow we got the past two days) and you "encounter" this bug - the PIP/Swap workaround does not work. Re-booting leaves you without anything to watch as the stupid 721 will not finish the boot without seeing a satellite... :evil: :twisted:

Hey Dish - give us back L1.12 - sure, it was bug ridden too but at least the core functionality worked!

120inna55 said:

I have been having a similar issue from time to time. It acts like it is going to delete the recording but it takes you right back to that screen.

Another interesting bug I have seen is when you stop a PVR Event you are watching or when it comes to the end to the screen that gives you options to delete, start over, etc. you can press play and it will play the event (resuming it if the event is not over with) but it stays on that screen instead of going full screen. This may not even be a bug, depending on who you ask.

Jim said:
Finally, some of the programs that I have been recording appear to have errors. When I press the PVR button and then try to view a recorded show I will see "Unknown Record" at the top. Sometimes I can still watch the show and sometimes it will not let me see it at all.

I had none of these problems with L1.12. They all started immediately after L1.15 was downloaded.

I experienced that one a few times with the previous software rev. I found it was 50-50 whether a reboot would allow me to view the program in its entirety or not. I'm taking it you see the 0 minutes recorded when you go to play it back despite your timer screen showing it was recorded properly? That was happening to me in 112.

I have also noticed "unknown record" appear more often than it used to before this software was released. It does this if you interupt the playback of your show in some cases. I cant remember what I did exactly to cause it though.

I have also noticed that it would display a different title of a show than what is playing when you hit view or cancel to bring it up. This was a bug that was supposed to be fixed (where it would show the previous show in the PVR Events screen but it is doing it during the show now and in some cases, still in the PVR Events screen as the wrong show.

In addition, a bug still lurks from the last software that was in the receiver. Sometimes certain information from the title banner at the top is missing when it becomes displayed like what time it is and so forth, whatever is shown at the bottom right or the entire right of what is displayed on the banner. When you get rid of the banner then bring it back the information shows up correctly.

Everyone make sure you call Dish and pass these bugs on to the 721 adv tech support. The more documented complaints, the better (hopefully quicker) a fix will be put in place. It only takes 10-15 minutes to get a report on the record. Listing bugs here may be "helpful" to some extent, but the bean counters that watch customer service reports need to see complaints into the company.

Just got off the phone with Advanced Tech support...

Well folks...the infamous L115 "upgrade" put the final spike in this 721, it has been stuck at L112 since the 10/13 download that crashed the system. Nobody at Dish Advanced tech. support has been able to get it to take any kind of an update since it reverted back to L112. So RMA #3 is on the way, Glad I decided to add warranty when I bought the 6000 last month (That has been totally awsome, with none of the quirks I have been reading) As my 1 year was up the day before the download killed it. Now if I could only get the local DNSC installers to figure out how to get the 61.5 dish to work on BOTH the 6000 and the 721...So far they have been out 3 times and only the 6000 has 3 birds (I think they are french hens) Thats all for now

Cant wait to see what happens when I try Superdish :?:
rc

I have used the "record from beginning" option twice now and I like that but overall this update has made my 721 much less reliable.

Channel switching and PVR launching is incredibly slow and if you try to hurry things along, it will lock-up.

My wife has NEVER had to reboot until this latest version. I only had to reboot once before L115, but now the freezes and nonresponses and bizarre behavior warrants a reboot 2 or 3 times a week just to get it to work right. I once had to reboot 4 times to get it to work again.

I'm really wondering what Scott has loaded that he was so excited about how much we were going to love this update?

It can't be this.

Here's a new bug I just remembered having:

When I watch a recorded show to the end and then press stop, the screen freezes with the stop window showing. I can hit cancel to get out of it but when I try to erase the program it freezes for several seconds and then comes right back to the screen showing the options for watching the recorded show. From this point I can watch the program again but can't erase it or exit to get back to normal live viewing. This has happened to me at least three times now. The first time it happened to me my wife said you have to start over and then press stop and erase. What's up with that? When is the next service pack coming? Sounds too familiar.

Here's another one my wife just yelled at me about:

The Caller ID is still just disappearing without any clue as to why. It just decides to not display anymore until you reboot.

The caller id going away till you reboot has been a problem since I first got my 721 over a year ago ,and still happens sometimes. I usually reboot it and it will come back.

I've been silent since receiveing L1.15, now I'm getting pissed I have screen freeze during rewind, sytem lockups during pause and a strange bug where we were watching the food network and I attempted to switch to a local station. First I used the guide select and nothing happened it stayed on the food network, then I manually typed channel 2, again nothing happened, then I typed the 8000 series local station and still stayed on the food network, finallly I had to reboot the receiver so I could change channels....I guess the system was hungry and interested in what was being prepared, hahaha.

Hey, Scott, what happened to the update after L1.15 was sent with some garbage code that was supposed to clean it up? I thouhgt that was being sent a couple of Fridays ago.

shadowman11 said:
I've been silent since receiveing L1.15, now I'm getting pissed I have screen freeze during rewind, sytem lockups during pause and a strange bug where we were watching the food network and I attempted to switch to a local station. First I used the guide select and nothing happened it stayed on the food network, then I manually typed channel 2, again nothing happened, then I typed the 8000 series local station and still stayed on the food network, finallly I had to reboot the receiver so I could change channels....I guess the system was hungry and interested in what was being prepared, hahaha.

I had an issue last night where I couldn't surf through all the games on Center Ice with the channel up/down buttons and I couldn't select the various games in the guide either. Incredibly the guide information wasn't even listing all the Center Ice channels when I'd go in to see what games were on for the night irregardless of whether I set it to show all channels or to show all subscribed channels. Had to type in the channel numbers manually every time which was a bit more tedious and it still didn't guarantee it would pull up the proper channel. Sometimes it would go to channel 0 arbitrarily while other times it would go up to the first channel in the NBA package. Had to reboot it manually. Still problems with games freezing and locking up the PIP when they begin or end on NHL Center Ice preventing you from swapping back and forth. Caller ID used to work ok sometimes and not at all others, but now seems to be working properly each time. I'm on my 3rd 721 and this new one is locking up once or twice a night with an automatic reboot just watching hockey games.

Unthinkable,

I had numerous problems last year on the 721 with Center Ice. The "All Sub" didn't always show all the channels and it went mental if you selected a channel that was blacked out, especialy in the PIP, it also let me select the program way in advance to record, but when it fired off it locked up because it was blacked out. I do think that it was on a manually created timer though.

I haven't watched to many this year though, but am hoping to soon.

I want to go back to ~L108.

Jeff

Another (what I consider major) problem tonight - two weekly timers set up to fire at 9PM (each set to 1 minute before), no events scheduled or running prior to 8:59PM. Only one timer successfully fired, even though the guide clearly showed both timers programmed.

It's the DishPlayer 7100/7200 nightmare coming back for a re-run... I'm now on a nightly schedule of rebooting the 721 in the hopes of preventing future missed recordings.

Hopefully, they'll do a better job on the 921 release than they did with this last 721 upgrade.

It really is sad to think they spent upwards of a year on this software release, supposedly put it through the most stringent set of testing criteria, and then have it introduce so many new problems. Can I give my weather application back in exchange for code that actually implements the 'R' part of DVR? Is that too much to ask?

Yeah - I'm frustrated...