721 L1.15 Bug Reports

dbronstein said:
I got some really weird stuff with the triple conflict screen. I was modifying existing timers to increase the start padding since that bug is fixed. Basically what happened is I had two timer set for the same time tonight (Tuesday). When I modified a Wednseday timer (or any other day except Tuesday) that overlapped the Tuesday ones, it said I had a conflict and brought up the triple conflict screen. It incorrectly showed the Wednesday timer as being set for Tuesday. I finally got around it by deleting the timers and recreating them off the guide.

To follow up on this, I tried to reproduce it and was unable to. So I'm thinking maybe it had something to do with the timers being set before the upgrade.

Dennis

While playing back a PVR Event I went to the signal strength screen and while going through the transponders they quit indicating a signal and the receiver locked up and I had to reboot the receiver. It worked fine after the reboot.

Anyone have it where after the hard drives spin down (when in the off position) that when you try watching OTA its like its on? I have to turn the receiver on and off again to get OTA working again. Rather annoying.

JimW396 said:
4/Using the 1 & 3 minute defaults, it appears that the start and stop times are off by a minute or two. Not always, but frequently. I go to watch a pre-recorded show press "Play" and the show has already started. The end of the show ("next weeks previews" cuts offf before it is scheduled.

Jim

I've noticed the start times for a lot of shows on MTV aren't necessarily always starting right on the hour.

Unthinkable said:
JimW396 said:
4/Using the 1 & 3 minute defaults, it appears that the start and stop times are off by a minute or two. Not always, but frequently. I go to watch a pre-recorded show press "Play" and the show has already started. The end of the show ("next weeks previews" cuts offf before it is scheduled.

Jim

I've noticed the start times for a lot of shows on MTV aren't necessarily always starting right on the hour.

Yes, that's a function of the networks, not the 721. NBC is really bad about this on Thursday nights. Survivor is another one, so is Raymond. They run the shows long to put in some extra commercials.

Dennis

I have (2) 721's and after the download of this new L1.15 software, one of mine has trouble selecting channels!

Example:

For some of my local channels , when I select them from the guide or browse, or channel up / down, I get an 'unauthorized to view this channel banner'. I then pop up PIP and tune to the channel and it comes in without a problem. This has also happened with some premium channels. It's very weird and annoying. I lost a recording due to it once!!

I have reset the receiver and still have the problem. And the funny part, it never did it before it took the new download. Again it's only one of my 721's - the other one works just fine.

Dave

I've been getting a whole lot more switch channel, get black screen (with audio) problems. If I just sit there, the video never comes back... hitting the 5 second back button kicks the video back in (so obviously, it was recording the video, just not displaying it).

I also got a pop up screen that was not in focus, so I couldn't get rid of it. I finally got it back in focus by switching to guide and pvr and sh*t screwwing around)

Frame by frame advance also seems totally hosed. backwards seems ok, but forwards seems to jump all around.

The networks will change the start and end times of their shows (especially the more popular ones with higher ratings) on purpose to distract DVR users because of the skipping capabilities. They also do it because they want you to start watching their channel more by viewing it earlier than you normally would resulting in watching more commercials.

Ok ...
I too must report that my 721 is very ill-behaved since the recent 'upgrade'.

It is very dissapointing.

The controls are sluggish - very.

the frame advance - no good

The skip forward is terrible, it freezes the current frame, resyncs to the future frame then very slowly shows it.

The timer conflict even fails to work properly.
I had to 'delete' one item four times before it moved forward.

I'm even getting audio pops now !!!! Can you say dishplayer? argh!

I have tried a reboot, but that did not help at all.

Scott, Please ask your contacts what did they do to the beta to prepare it for release. Whatever it was they did ... they need to undo !

My unit has gone from a pleasure to use, to very irratating. And the Wife is getting mad, and you know what happens then ! (it becomes harder to justify new bleeding edge purchases like the 921!)

We need the stable version you had and I assume are still using.

Echostar, please help us quickly.

E* needs to get their S*#& together on this stuff...I echo the statements made by others in this post. Prior the much awaited software update things that were wrong were tolerable. The 721 is now more unstable and growing more and more frustrating to use. E* please release a fix as soon as possible for these items!!!!

dedc8603 said:
I have (2) 721's and after the download of this new L1.15 software, one of mine has trouble selecting channels!

Example:

For some of my local channels , when I select them from the guide or browse, or channel up / down, I get an 'unauthorized to view this channel banner'. I then pop up PIP and tune to the channel and it comes in without a problem. This has also happened with some premium channels. It's very weird and annoying. I lost a recording due to it once!!

I have reset the receiver and still have the problem. And the funny part, it never did it before it took the new download. Again it's only one of my 721's - the other one works just fine.

Dave

Thats something I was seeing with NHL Center Ice last week. Before I was getting the error message you listed above and now I just get a frozen picture in picture event which I'm unable to swap to pretty frequently. Have to close it down and open it up again to watch two games at once. I noticed the stuttering effect earlier tonight when flipping between two games. The slowdown and imminent freezing on the picture in picture tuner trickles down to the other tuner and you eventually get a slow motion type effect on the main tuner which is very uneven while watching live tv. Reboots don't seem to help this.

Search problems

Back in May 2003, when I received the 721 the programming was at L1.09. The keyboard for search had many nice features including the "&" character. The first upgrade that I was subjected to was to L1.11 and the keyboard was completely changed, omitting the "&". The programming was so poor that any program that included that character in its name was unsearchable, i.e., Law & Order. Although I notified tech support, they apparently are not interested. If I try to search on the name without the "&" I get no hits. If I try one word or the other I get a maximum number of hits from the content descriptions over just a few days.

The frustrating part of this is that the 501 has the same keyboard but if you just omit the "&" the program is found in all its varieties. In addition, the latest 501 program includes a search option to search titles only or titles and content so they know how to fix this. Does anyone know a workaround for this? Can I go back to L1.09?

dedc8603 said:

I am still on the old beta.

Last week I started having this problem as well.

Mine is actually reporting a Multi Dish Switch Error, then when I press OK it tells me I am unauthorized to view this channel error you mentioned.

I am getting this error on all channels, and it only happens like every 15 minutes or so but its very annoying.

The work around I found for this last night is to do as follows:

Turn to the channel you want to watch.
Press Pause
Let the buffer build up for about 10 to 15 seconds.
Unpause the video
Now you can watch this channel without the error popping up.

I have a feeling something was changed in the datastream which the 721 is having problems dealing with.

I have reported this problem to ECHOSTAR.

For those of you who have the above listed problem "Unauthorized to view this channel"

When did this start happening?

I am guessing that it did not start happening when you got the software but a few days after receiving the software upgrade.

Please let me know WHEN this started.

Thanks

721 bug probles start

I would say they started about 2 days after I received the new download.

I am also getting a lot of the black screens now when I swap PIP...

Again it's only on one of them - the other one seems to work perfectly!!

Weird huh?

A weird problem. Whenver I record Carnivale off the HBO-W feed on Sunday nights at Midnight, the skip buttons are really sluggish and the picture freezes for a few seconds. I Noticed the same problem on a KTLA taping of Angel at Midnight. Add in the fact that a timer tries to fire 24 hours later on the same channel, and it seems like Midnight timers are having trouble. Ditto with the Midnight World Poker Tour on the Travel Channel.

I changed the Angel time to KWGN and that seems to have fixed (too many good shows on at 9pm here in NYC on Weds. so no WPIX, even with 2 tuners)

Add this one to the list........

That would be on Wednesday, which is the same day this happened to me as well.

Talking with Dish it appears some garbage data might have gone out on Last Wednesday that caused a problem for all their receivers (not just the 721) that is causing the problem.

From what I know it is hoped this bad data will be flushed out of all receivers by Friday.

So if you have a Dish DVR and it has been acting funny (again not just the 721) it should be all better by Friday.

Was Wed when the DST adjusted guide came down (everything from Sun on is 1 hr off to accomodate the rollback)? Dish recivers have historically had problems around the clock change time period. Coincidence?

Scott,

You are a nice guy, but you are so gullible. I am amazed how often your "contacts" give you crappy info., and you continue to believe them.

I am not trying to shoot the messenger. Just wish the messenger would realize his messages have been quite useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)