721 L1.15 Bug Reports

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I too had the triple conflict screen come up showing 3 shows that were supposedly in conflict. However one was for a different day!!!

Way to go DISH, you never disappoint with your total incompetence.
As soon as DirectTv has my locals ("early 2004"), I'm outta here.

Mitch

makman said:
I too had the triple conflict screen come up showing 3 shows that were supposedly in conflict. However one was for a different day!!!

I have seen that problem too. I deleted the timer for the program that was on a different day and re-entered it and didn't get a conflict.

I noticed this morning while reading my morning paper that my hard drive was spinning away as usual. I have 115, and the spindown prompt is enabled (default). Otherwise, everything's great.

I have also seen some of these same problems myself. I figured as long as they had people wait for the new software that they would have NO or VERY FEW bugs when it would finally come out. They might as well released it a while back with these same bugs than to wait this long (unless we would have been bombarded with many more bugs getting the release earlier) but Scott said the beta was really good for a while now and then they changed some of the content of the software from the beta. This could have caused some of these bugs we are seeing now.

LarryH said:
Here's a bug that's been around for awhile:

The PVR lock doesn't work when you use the "clean up" feature. If you attempt to delete a locked recording by itself, the 721 prompts for the password. However, if you delete a locked recording via the "cleanup" screen the lock is ignored.

Haven't tried this on current software, but I always get prompted for a password in the cleanup menu, in the PVR menu I just unprotect before erasing, so I don't have to bother with the password.

Re: 721 software update L1.15 Bugs and Problems

Sean Mota said:
Error 705: "The maximum number of minutes allowed for before and after a recording timer event is 29 minutes, please enter another value".

Hi all,

This is definitely a step backward and a take-away. It certainly makes no sense in the absence of name-based recording. A couple of the Monday night football games this season have gone into overtime. 29 minutes wouldn't get most of the overtime period, given commercials. It's no fun to watch a recorded football game for 3 1/2 hours only to find out you don't have the finish, and don't know how the game ended.

This is not the way to increase user satisfaction.

Pete

This morning after trying to watch some recorded programs and because I was pausing the program (trying to do other things as the same time) I was constantly taken back to the beginning of the program. This is a real pain. Several times I was within the last ten minutes of a prrogram and had to fast forward and find where I left off.

I decided to call DISH just to make sure that my complain was regestered. I talked to several people and then was finally transfered to advanced technical support. The person that I talked to had not heard of the problem and could not find any information in the computer about the problem. I was told that I was the first one to complain about the problem and a report was taken by the tech person that would be sent to engineering.

I would have thought by now that DISH would have LOTS of complaints about the problem and would have a note in the computer ("we are aware of the problem and are working on a fix"). Apparently that isn't the case. I really think if more people call in and complain about this we might get action sooner.

While I was complaining, I also made sure that the "29 minute limit" problem was on the report.

I would have thought by now that DISH would have LOTS of complaints about the problem and would have a note in the computer

Too many of us come to the satellite sites first (and at times only) to report these problems. Not a good practice. EVERYONE that has encountered a bug/problem needs to take some time and call it in. We loose site of that requirement because the sites are such great resources for work arounds and solace.

For what its worth, the 721 guys have been using our sites to gather information on these bugs. So while advanced tech support may have no clue, the programmers and software team are paying attention. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
For what its worth, the 721 guys have been using our sites to gather information on these bugs. So while advanced tech support may have no clue, the programmers and software team are paying attention.

Well, they ought to get sometihing into the computers as soon as they are aware of a problem so that their CSRs and tech suport people won't give callers such a run around when calling about a problem. I had to talk to several different people and one wanted me to do a re-boot. And another one give me a "work around" that wasn't even close to a viable solution.

Why is is that the DISH people that "watch" this board don't have contact with the tech support people that can get the information into the computer?

DISH Network: you are REALLY making it hard for me to want to continue to be your customer. Between the bugs (721) and the "take-aways" (DishPlayer, I used the "instant news" stock quotes daily) , I am really fed up!

I thought it was said that the screensaver function was to be restored in this current software release. I've only had my 721 for about six months, but I've never had the screensaver work at all. I'm particularly interested in having the screensaver work on the 921, as it will be hooked up to a RPTV that already shows slight burn-in from having my 508 PVR menu stay on after a recorded show has stopped playing.

Something else they could work on is the Local Conditions screen on Instant Weather. The text is almost the same color as the background, so it is very hard to read.

Also, I agree with everyone else about the 29 minute pad on the PVR timers. I used that feature a lot to extend sporting events by more than an hour. That is going to be a real hassle now!

And when are they going to put the screen saver back, and why did they take it away in the first place?

Another one that has not been mentioned much here, is the setup screen for programming favorites. Why the heck does it not show you which channels you are subscribed to and which ones you are not in red like the 501 does? The guide does it, so why can't the favorites list do that? I have to write down the channels I subscribe to as indicated by the programming guide, and then go to the setup screen to modify the list. Very strange that they don't have that.

Finally, I also would like to add my support for the sticky menus feature. When I sort PVR events by name, rather than by date, it should stay that way!

This is what I've noticed in the past few days since the upgrade was spooled:

1) Occasionally when I hit the guide button and scroll forward a few hours through various programs, I'll notice that when I hit the skip backwards button to go back to the current time it will only affect the playback of the program in the upper right hand corner PIP window. Used to be you could page through guide data day-by-day with the skip backward and skip forwards buttons. Sometimes it works the way it used to and sometimes it doesn't.

2) Lots and lots of software issues with PIP and NHL Center Ice the past few nights. I flip through all the hockey games quite a bit and have noticed a lot of glitches where I get odd error messages telling me I can't view a game when I use the recall button to flip between to different games. This isn't a blackout issue where I'm attempting to view games I'm not entitled to mind you. I've managed to lock up my PIP window to the point where everything freezes and the entire system is hungup.

3) When my receiver freezes and I hit the power button to turn it off before attempting a reboot, I'm noticing I don't even have the ability to turn it off via the remote sometimes. Very odd behavior where I'm still seeing live video and audio after I turn off the receiver as well for a few moments. Its not instantaneous. Still issues with slowdowns and the receiver seemingly being overwhelmed with too many commands when you flip between channels a good bit.

4) Remote button presses still giving me problems where I'll input a channel number properly and it spits out wrong numbers or it registers a recall or swap command twice instead of once. This was kind of annoying in the last release and still exists. I don't think this is a bad remote issue as my remote is still very new.

5) Random reboots still happening.

Noticed tonight that if you have PIP enabled with NHL Center Ice on before a game starts it simply freezes up. You have to press the PIP button a few times to close it down then reopen it just to see the beginning of games. The real kicker is when an NHL Center Ice game ends on your 2nd tuner and you have PIP enabled. The moment you try to switch to it to change channels your entire receiver locks up needing a forced reboot to cure it. This is maddening.

Watching pre recorded programs

I have had this happen several times since the new software.

When a pre recorded program finishes playing, I can not do anything else. I press guide and the guide comes up, move to a channel and select it. The pre recorded program that I just finsihed watching comes up instead of the selected channel. I can type in a channel number and it stays on the recorded program. I can even press pvr and select a different recorded program and it will not leave the one that just finished.

The only way to clear it is to go to the unit and press the power button. Sometimes it takes turning the unit off twice before it will come up on a channel instead of the recorded program.

New and nasty bug

Just ran across this this A.M....

Watching a recorded program - accidentally hit the channel up button...

Took about 3 minutes to change to the channel. All the while I had a black screen with the program info banner across the top. It did eventually switch. Then after cussing my big fingers I went back to pvr list and attempted "resume" several times. Slightly different effect each time. The most common was that it would show a progress bar at the bottom of the screen like the one you see during a fast forward. The Play icon would show in the upper rt. but it would be showing the channel that I had inadvertently switched to. Sometimes live - Sometimes paused...

Attempting a "start over" would render the same thing. I turned the receiver off and back on. Was returned to said channel and was still not able to do a "resume". A "start over" worked as normal however. So I FF to the correct spot and finished watching my program. At the end I was locked in a loop of either being at the "start over" - "resume" "erase" menu or watching the channel that I had switched to. An erase just returned me to that same screen.

I again cycled power - came back to the same live channel went immediately to the pvr list and did an erase of the offending program and all seems ok now.

I will also confirm - no screensaver and the pause bug.

I have experienced the following NEW problems since the 1.15 SW update;

1/If I press the "30 second advance button" 3 or 4 times, when the picture comes back on there is no sound. In order to get sound I have to hit the "Pause" button and then hit play. The sound returns. There is still the delayed audio when skipping forward once.

2/I have had a big increase in pixelization and sound dropouts. Usually for 3-5 seconds at a time.

3/ When watching a pre-recorded show - if I hit pause, PVR, and then ""Erase", I get a message saying "You are watching that program now and cannot delete it" I then have to "Stop" the program in order to erase it. In the past it was no problem doing this.

4/Using the 1 & 3 minute defaults, it appears that the start and stop times are off by a minute or two. Not always, but frequently. I go to watch a pre-recorded show press "Play" and the show has already started. The end of the show ("next weeks previews" cuts offf before it is scheduled.

The triple conflict screen is a nice addition (it should have been there from the beginning).

I only get the 119 sat and in the past have always had to reset the receiver in order to get the 44 hour epg. It appears that it is now downloading the 44hour epg on its own at 3am.

One step forward....two steps back!

Jim

New problems

I had the same "sound missing after pressing 30-second skip" problem.

I also had the problem where while watching a prerecorded show while a show was recording, when the show finished I could switch channel (either with the channel up/down or the guide) - it would just keep showing whatever channel it was on, ignoring me.

I had to hit the pip button, switch to the other tuner, and then switch back to get it to start working again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts