721 L1.74 Update

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Michigan
My wife has reported that our 721 is getting another software download... any idea what is in this update? I don't see anyone else talking about any downloads...

luckycat said:
My wife has reported that our 721 is getting another software download... any idea what is in this update? I don't see anyone else talking about any downloads...

I wonder also. My 721 went nuts last night. I had been watching already recorded programs...when I tried to go back to live channels, everything was choppy and pixelated. After doing a reboot, everything came back fine. Could the phantom software upgrade been the problem?

This is supposedly to fix a problem a bunch of us were having where when daylight savings time ended, the clocks didn't turn back.

In my particular case, a couple of days later, this was followed by the guide not coming up at all. Not sure it's related.

Every Stinking Time They Do A Download They Screw It Up. If And When They Do The Next Big Update With Name Based Recording, And After They Get Those New Bugs Taken Care Of ...... Please Keep Your Good For Nothing Software Updates Away From My 721.

My 721, since the upgrade, has been acting funky. Had to soft reboot twice on guide freezes, and sometimes the audio will slow down, like a cassette tape not spinning fast enough. That's happened 3 times, 2 live, once on a recorded show.

I have encountered a new ‘feature’ in the latest update, perhaps it existed in the other versions and I just missed it. In any case, I am not fond of it.

Set a recurring timer (‘event 1’) on channel A for 7:00p to 7:30p padded 1E3L (1 minute early, 3 minutes late).
Set a timer (‘event 2’) on channel B for 7:00p to 8:00p padded 1E3L.
With both of these timers set, create a new, one time event timer (‘event 3’) on channel A for 7:30p to 8:00p padded 1E3L.

The 721 strips the 3L padding off of ‘event 1’, and strips off the 1E padding off of ‘event 3’. This would be a nifty feature (maybe) if it did not strip off the padding for the subsequent ‘event 1’ events (i.e. it permanently modifies the timer’s padding) :confused:

-Chad

chadm:

My 921 has always acted that way.

And you're right, it SHOULD deal with the loss of padding better. IMO, padding issues should be checked when the timer fires, not at conflict resolution time. Duh.

I hate this new software version! Whenever we're watching a pre-recorded show AND trying to tape two things, the second show never tapes. The worst part is, you can't go in and try to record it because the pvr THINKS it is taping the show already and it's a total pain to fix it. By the time you get things straight, you have either missed half the show or the receiver has crashed, and then you aren't able to tape anything. PLEASE go back to L172.

Details on Update?

Has anyone gotten an 'official' list from Dish as to what this update did? I know that for my 721, the caller ID has worked every time since getting the update - it used to work on maybe 1 out of every 10 phone calls.

I think I am having some issues with the new software as well. My reception begins to "stutter" both audio and video, then becomes more frequent. After a while, all I get is "searching for signal" message. I have to pull the plug to reboot to get my reception back. Do you think this is because of the new software, or do I have other problems?

bf3000 said:
Has anyone gotten an 'official' list from Dish as to what this update did? I know that for my 721, the caller ID has worked every time since getting the update - it used to work on maybe 1 out of every 10 phone calls.

Supposedly all that was fixed was EPG clock problems and recording timer programs for people that have a yellow smart card.

The other issues could just be bugs popping up, or bugs caused by the software update, which usually happens with software updates...

I am more inclined to believe that E*'s code control (or whomever they outsource development to) is bordering on useless. I work in the telecom biz and have seen quite a bit of this from a handful of the equipment vendors.

Vendor: "On version 11.0.1 We only changed A and fixed problem B"
Consumer: "But we are seeing the devices belch mysterious blue smoke now"
<weeks go by>
Vendor_Insider: "There was a problem when we built 11.0.1. One of the engineers checked in function 'nifty_blue_smoke_creater', and that accidentally got rolled into this version"
Consumer: :mad:

Second time in recent memory I had to reboot due to remote control issues.

I think my rcvr has a problem when over half the hard drive's allotted time is full. I have about 40+ hours left and I seem to be rebooting it weekly for different things.

Mine Too

mrplow said:
I hate this new software version! Whenever we're watching a pre-recorded show AND trying to tape two things, the second show never tapes. The worst part is, you can't go in and try to record it because the pvr THINKS it is taping the show already and it's a total pain to fix it. By the time you get things straight, you have either missed half the show or the receiver has crashed, and then you aren't able to tape anything. PLEASE go back to L172.

My 721 recording is all messed up now. It does the "I can't record since I'm already recording that" bug and when I decide I'm going to record something from the beginning of the episode and I have had it on that channel the whole time, when I press DONE it does nothing OR it sets the recording for the next 9 days - I was watching CSI Miami last night and decided to record it from the beginning - so I went into the options, set it to record from beginning press DONE half expecting it to choke and instead it set the record time for 34,648 minutes. I had to go into the Timers section and manually edit the time to fix that, if I hadn't it would have erased my entire drive by now.

I think part of the problem with the refusing to record and not recording is if you are watching something buffered. You have to forward it to LIVE or it refuses to work right. I am testing my theory.

MEANWHILE - this lastest update has really broken the 721.

I believe your theory is correct 8bit. I only have that trouble if I'm buffered and a few minutes behind live content. Obviously it's "recording" at that time, and we know the 721 isn't capable of 3 simultaneous recordings. I just wished it handled it a bit better. The pop-up is a bit confusing for me. Still, I really love this receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)