721 Timers menu?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
What's up with the 721's timers menu. The ones listed in the PVR menu look confusing, and you can't tell what's going to record without hitting info. But then they have the seperate timers menu that you can get to by going through the menu which is much better, but you can't hit info on.

I just installed the 721 on Friday and really like all the extra features over the 508, but the DVR and timers list is a serious downgrade. It just looks confusing and cumbersome.

I just hooked up my new 721. It was a surprise to find out that timers show the time and channel only. Not very convenient.

I guess this area will change with the introduction of NBR.

-Mark

IF you go to the number 7 of the menu and hit the timers option it will show above each timer it's name and info. Very nice interface and I like it much better than the 501/508/510 dvr timers .

Yes Mike, but why doesn't it use the same style for the timers under the PVR screen? Plus there isn't any info on the timers in the Timers screen, and you can't hit info? I think it's pretty badly done. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

If I'm not though, I'd love to see the timers disappear from the PVR screen, and I'd like the timers button to go to the timers screen thats currently under menu 7.

AppliedAggression said:
Yes Mike, but why doesn't it use the same style for the timers under the PVR screen? Plus there isn't any info on the timers in the Timers screen, and you can't hit info? I think it's pretty badly done. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

If I'm not though, I'd love to see the timers disappear from the PVR screen, and I'd like the timers button to go to the timers screen thats currently under menu 7.

I agree. The timers do not belong to the PVR screen. Besides, the Timer button in the PVR screen does nothing.

AppliedAggression said:

I don't know why it is listed without the info in the pvr screen , but it is listed under Timers in the menu. Another thing you can do in the pvr screen is highlight a timer and hit select and it will instantly take you to the timers screen complete with info. It is simple and fast and I really don't know why this is a problem with anyone else out there. It is just the way it is done with the linux software. I guess it could be changed but I am really more worried about the" unknown channel 77" issue than this one. ;)

yeah, what's that 77 thing. when i first installed the 721 it wouldn't let me tune to any FTA channels, it was stuck on channel 77. Said something record on the banner, i can't really remember, but i haven't encountered it since.

I've not seen a 721 - have a 921. I believe the code base is the same.

On the 921, 77-UKN "Unknown Record" is the 'program title' used when the box has lost track of what show it's seeing. Happens for several different reasons - most of which are bugs as opposed to 'really' being unable to tell what's what.

AppliedAggression said:
can someone tell me what order the timers are in on the PVR screen. I can't make any sense of it.
I believe its chronological order listing the ones you setup first at the top of the list.

It's just another one of the inscrutable head-scratching ergonomic quirks of the 721 (which has many...way too many). Rather than holding our breath until its fixed, most of us find a workaround. Mine is to ignore them in the PVR list completely and only deal with them in the timers list, where you can sort them any way you wish.

Stargazer said:
Mine shows "77 Unknown Record" message at the beginning of about every DVR Event I select to watch.
me too.

It seems to go right to the title in a second or two.

My suspicion is a bug :)

LER

Started when we received the Sirius radio channels and the Dish Home application. I hope when they enable the rest of the Dish Home apps they will address this bug.

if you start 1 minute early, i notice this happens more often, as the recording didn't keep track of the previous show.

I guess the alternative is to have all you 1 minute early recordings incorrectly identified in the PVR list, since the first item on each record will be the PREVIOUS show, not the one you recorded. I'd rather see 77 unkown than have all my PVR list programs wrong...

iKramerica said:
I guess the alternative is to have all you 1 minute early recordings incorrectly identified in the PVR list, since the first item on each record will be the PREVIOUS show, not the one you recorded. I'd rather see 77 unkown than have all my PVR list programs wrong...

It used to work that way until one of the recent software updates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts