Where would the HD networks go?

dispatcher_21

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Walla Walla,WA
Lets say that Congress does indeed pass the SHVIA with a waiver clause for distant HD. D* would probably put them on 7S but where would E* put them? Probably 61.5 but a lot of people on the west coast cant get this satellite due to the low elevation. And if we need a second dish, do you think they would supply it for the distant HD free of charge or what? What do you guys think?

If any HD channels are added back to 61.5, I am sure they would be duplicated on 148. Actually their currently is plenty of room on 148 and 157 for HD but not on 61.5, however many on the East could not see 148 or 157, this is why if HD returns to the wings it will have to be on both 61.5 and 148. Once the new and more powerful satellite on 105 is launched which should allow full conus reception of 105, we may see some new HD channels end up their.

I'm kinda new to Dish so please excuse this question if it seems retarded. I have a Dishpro with an 811 now and it gets the 110,119 sat. As Chris said, when the new 105 sat is up, they could add more HD there. How would I get the 105 sat? Would I need another dish? With 105 so close to the 110,119, would a superdish work if this does indeed does happen in the future? Also, when is this new sat at 105 supposed to be launched?

I don't know if the new 105 is DBS or FSS. If it's FSS, existing 105 SuperDish's will work. If it's DBS, a different LNB would be needed, but that should be all.

dispatcher_21 said:
I'm kinda new to Dish so please excuse this question if it seems retarded. I have a Dishpro with an 811 now and it gets the 110,119 sat. As Chris said, when the new 105 sat is up, they could add more HD there. How would I get the 105 sat? Would I need another dish? With 105 so close to the 110,119, would a superdish work if this does indeed does happen in the future? Also, when is this new sat at 105 supposed to be launched?

Since no one gave you an answer, I'll give it a shot. SES Americom's AMC-15 is scheduled for launch at 105 degrees west the second half of this year. One article estimated this fall. Yes a SuperDish for 105/110/119 would do the trick as you surmised.

AMC-15 is a FSS (Fixed Satellite Service) spacecraft. FSS satellites are allowed 2 degree orbital spacing and hence operate a lower effective power levels than BSS (Broadcast Satellite Service) also colloquially called DBS (Direct Broadcast Satellite or Service). BSS is allowed 9 degree spacing and can operate at higher effective power levels than FSS. BSS CONUS coverage is at 101, 110, 119 degrees which you can see is 9 degree spacing. SES Americom is petitioning the FCC to allow 4.5 degree spacing for BSS. The 9 degree spacing was based on analog technology and all BSS in the USA is digital which is more immune to adjacent satellite interference. While both Ku FSS and BSS are in the Ku band, they operate at different frequencies.