722 511 software Fast Forward erratic

Massmur

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Since the new 511 software download, my fast forward, play, rewind has been glitchy. Pressing play while in FF may put you many minutes away from what you are viewing in FF. Have they done this on purpose?

511 Software

I've noticed the same thing on my 722 for the past 2 days. You never know where you'll end up after hitting FF or REW. I trust there is a fix in the works for this. :confused:

I've noticed the same on my 622 for the past 2 or 3 days. At first I thought I wasn't paying attention when I was fast forwarding because I was always passing by where I needed to stop. Then I started paying more attention to the time bar at the bottom of the screen and noticed that the indicator was very erratic, sometimes it would even go backwards for a split second. Well, I'm glad I stopped by here first before I called Dish to replace my 622. Guess we just have to wait for the next software fix.

Regarding the 511 glitches, I've seen them too. Using the pause, rewind feature, is really erratic now: I jumped back a half hour recently, when I was trying to go back 2 minutes or so. Really peculiar; that new software is buggier than anything I've ever seen from Dish Network.

The above being said, if you just start a show and let it roll, no problems. The pause, record, rewind functions need work. L449 worked just fine, by the way.

Fitzie

I noted this at the end of the 510 Bugs thread (06-21-2008 12:56 AM) although I had 511 then, up from 509. We have had some jumping before but not nearly this bad. I hope they were not trying to implement the often requested reflex compensation "like a Tivo." That's a bad idea--let the user do the adjustment as each person's reflex time is different.

I noted that the location banner often freezes and when you stop it jumps to that time, which can be quite a way from the visual location. Please don't mix FF/Rew with jump ahead/back as you will be confused. I prefer a strict jump forward 30 sec, back 10. In pause, forward a frame and back 2 sec, which we have had for a long time. Does jump forward/back with no FF/Rew always work?
-Ken

Last edited:
I have a 622 with software v5.11 and I also have experienced the problems described above. For me, it seems much worse on an HD recording; not as bad with SD.

I also have this problem with a 622. Started two weeks ago. I was going to call Dish CS today for a replacement but after reading this thread indicating the problem being a software issue, I will wait. Thanks for the info.

Thought I'd chime in on this recent glitch. The erratic FFwd and 30 sec jump is very frustrating. These software upgrades really do need to be more throughly tested before being sent out. If I performed this way at my job, I'd be looking for another means to pay the bills. This is crappy quality control!

My 722 seems to jump ahead when you hit play while fast forwarding. Sometimes 1 or 2 minutes, but never the same. I have the 511 update, but never got the 510. I sent an email to ceo, but never got a reply.

does someone know if someone from dish scans these forums or should we all call dish and complain? or should we all call and complain anyways?

Just email them, and they will respond in a day or two. I forget the address, maybe someone else will post it. As I recall its techexpress or technotes, something like that, at echostar.com. I'd like to complain myself.

Fitzie

I'm having the same "skip ahead" issue with my 722. Quite frustrating to say the least. I've found that it only does it when I'm FFing at 15x. If I drop back to 4x and then play it usually works fine. I read in another thread that pausing before you play will cause it to stop in the correct spot. Haven't gotten home yet to try it.

Also I just sent them an email. Sent it to this address: dishquality@echostar.comI'll report back once I hear something, though I'm sure it is an "It will be fixed soon" type deal. :rolleyes:

i just went upstairs and tried again. i couldn't get it to happen on a couple of the HD shows i watched. i know it was doing it before with HD shows though. but on the SD shows, it was still there and nothing affected it (ff speed 4x, 15x, etc. or using the "pause first before play" technique, it still skips).

same problem here plus while I'm watching a show as it's recording I get the 002 screen,
" the satellite signal has been lost. signal acqusition is in progress. please wait " a few times an hour, but if I hit the guide or dvr button it comes right back and I can skip back with no loss in the recording. It happened on a local hd channel and comedy central so far tonight. I think the bugs out weigh the new features on this update :(
this also is happening during playback of the same show after the recording is over, but it doesn't have the ff problem during playback

Trying to watch the nascar qualifing I recorded and it is impossible to stop it where you want it. It actually skips forward when tryinq to skip back, and trying to skip forward doesn't seem to work at all. Hitting play may jump forward 2 or 3 minutes.

Looks like I'm going to have to record the speed channel on my old 942 until they get this fixed on the 722's.