722/722k and broadband questions

Z06_Pilot

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Columbus, OH
Hi folks,

I want to confirm a couple of things please:

722: allows me to record two satellite and one OTA program at the same time while watching a pre-recorded program

722k: same as above, but, if I add the optional MT2 OTA module, I can record up to 2 satellite and 2 separate OTA programs, and watch a pre-recorded program, all at the same time, correct?

regarding broadband on these two. I have been searching regarding audits and broadband/phone lines.

I really don't want to run phone lines to my 722 or 722k's when I order Dish. I have a wireless 802.11g/n network in my house. If I hook both 722's to my network, I don't need any phone lines, correct?

finally, I know that the 722/722k's don't do wireless onboard, but what are the options folks use to get the 722/722k's wirelessly onto a home network?

thanks.

Yes, Yes, Slingbox (which will be integrated in the upcoming 922).

722k: same as above, but, if I add the optional MT2 OTA module, I can record up to 2 satellite and 2 separate OTA programs, and watch a pre-recorded program, all at the same time, correct?

The 772k doesn't actually have an OTA ability until you buy the OTA module. Then it gives you 2 additional OTA tuners to record off of.

tlc's right about the OTA module; either 0 or 2 OTAs on a 722k.

For wireless, you can do what the XBox360 guys do and use a wireless bridge that has 3-5 ethernet ports and bridges to your existing 802.11 network. D-Link and Netgear are the brands that come up most often, but I'm unsure of the models that are known to work. Probably want to stick with the same brand as your main router. Another option (which I don't trust) is HomePlug ethernet-over-powerline adapters, but those are more expensive than getting a bridge.

Wireless Access Points and Bridges at Newegg.com
http://www.homeplug.org/home

thanks folks,

Cowboy Dren. any experience with Homeplug turbo? seems like a very inexpensive way to get the required IP connectivity for my Dish DVR, as opposed to a wireless adaptor to get onto my wireless netowrk.

I assume the only purpose of the IP connectivity is for unattended auditing, ordering PPV, both very low bandwidth requirements I would think, so IP through my electrical wiring might be ok for that application?

thanks...

With HomePlug, if you're going to get two DVRs, you need a surge protector with TWO HomePlug ports on it and another unit near your router to get the data back out of the powerlines and push it through the interwebs. That's at least two new pieces of equipment, probably three (I've never seen a surge protector with dual HP ports). I'm pretty sure you can't do that for $60, which is how much a wireless bridge costs.

According to Dish, HomePlug is supposed to do everything, up to and including VOD via broadband, which I have to hit the BS buzzer on. For the most part, it's just there for auditing and PPV ordering and stuff like that. I still trust it less than I trust 802.11, which isn't much.

I am currently using 1 homeplug module (Netgear XE103) and i have 2 722's that use Dishonline and VOD without any issue.

So you're not using any surge protector at all on your DVRs, or do you have a whole-house surge protector somewhere? My house is too old to have 4-6 power outlets where the TV is, and I'm too lazy to rewire that box, so I just do what most people do...plug the STBs and TV into a surge protector.

I'll grant that HomePlug works, but I've been around long enough and seen enough technologies come and go that "make life easier" by failing inexplicably at the worst possible time, hence my preference for hard-wired, dedicated-purpose solutions...Like ethernet over UTP or coax cable.

Honestly, my favorite tech on the market is MOCA, but it's rare as hen's teeth, and Dish Network hasn't said a single word about it.

I use an APC battery backup for the 722k, and bought two Netgear XE104's (4 eth cables out;use one for the 722k, one for the blu-ray player and one for the slingbox) for the powerline.

I do like that unit, assuming that if the power spikes, it fries the XE104 without letting anything happen to the ethernet ports on it.

However, one XE104 ($70) plus one XE103 ($50) is still twice the cost of a Netgear WPN824 bridge ($60). Not that I endorse that model, Netgear consumer WiFi bridges have horrible reviews on Newegg, it's just an example.

Bought two off ebay, new, for $60.

I stayed away from the bridges just because I've seen where sometimes they can be a PITA. I had two XE102's before this and never had any issue.

So you're not using any surge protector at all on your DVRs, or do you have a whole-house surge protector somewhere? My house is too old to have 4-6 power outlets where the TV is, and I'm too lazy to rewire that box, so I just do what most people do...plug the STBs and TV into a surge protector.

I'll grant that HomePlug works, but I've been around long enough and seen enough technologies come and go that "make life easier" by failing inexplicably at the worst possible time, hence my preference for hard-wired, dedicated-purpose solutions...Like ethernet over UTP or coax cable.

Honestly, my favorite tech on the market is MOCA, but it's rare as hen's teeth, and Dish Network hasn't said a single word about it.

It was stated on a past Tech Forum that all the ViP's have a built-in surge protector, and that customers do not need to connect these boxes to surge protectors. Dish obviously planned for the HomePlug and other such technology that an external surge protector can impede.

That's absurd. A dead receiver is a dead receiver, whether it nearly caught on fire because it was unprotected or whether it got zapped safely internally. All of the programming that I have stored took time for me to accumulate, and I have hours invested in getting the timers so that they all work this season.

There's a Radio Shack and a Walmart and a Lowe's less than 2 miles from my house, and I can replace a zapped power strip in a matter of less than an hour. I think the $20-50 for a surge protector is a lot better than paying $6 per month for DHPP and waiting for Dish to mail me a new one or a service guy to carry one out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)