722 And 5.1 Stereo

I have the Vizio E601l3EKPB and i know it passes 5.1 because it doing it with my other equipment.I have changed all the cables and everything else i could think of that is the reason i asked if there were a hidden menu that i need ed to set something else are if there was something wrong with this 722

No secret settings. Make sure it is set to Dolby Digital/PCM.

I have the Vizio E601l3EKPB and i know it passes 5.1 because it doing it with my other equipment.
The good book says that bitstream audio must be enabled on the associated TV input (PCM will NOT pass >stereo -- see page 33, top right).

Did you try switching the ViP722 to an input that is known to be passing 5.1 on the TV?

Reactions: rodder
Good question. Do any of the SD channels have 5.1?
HBO-E and Showtime East in SD Used to have a DD 5.1 carrier, but I haven't checked recently.
There is another setting on the 622/722 on the same audio menu as PCM/Dolby. I can't remember what it is, but I can check on it when I get home.

I have a Vizio and it passes throught 5.1 from the receiver through the TV to the optical imput on my DD amp.

There is another setting on the 622/722 on the same audio menu as PCM/Dolby. I can't remember what it is, but I can check on it when I get home.
I know of the one that you're talking about and I can't remember what it is called either. I recall that one option is something like "broadcast" and that's the one that works for me.

Okay, after looking at my set-up, here is what's working for me to get DD5.1 to my Yamaha receiver.

#1 - Seems obvious but it has to be said: Make sure the TV program and/or channel is broadcasting DD5.1. Not all programs on a DD5.1 channel are 5.1. For example, I am now watching a program on PBS local channel which I know broadcasts DD 5.1. The program itself is DD2.0 so the DD light and the ProLogic lights are both on with the L+R stereo light on. The other three lights are off. But change the channel to CBS, and bang... DD5.1 lights up, ProLogic turns off.

#2 - On the Dish 622/722 receiver press Menu > 6 > 7. Decoder= Dolby Digital / PCM. Mode= Line

My dish receiver is hooked up via optical connection directly to my Yamaha receiver through one input AND via HDMI to my Vizio TV with the optical audio out of the TV going to another input on my Yamaha receiver. Both inputs "see" DD 5.1 on the same channels meaning that the TV passes through the DD5.1 from the receiver.

NONE of the standard definition channels have Dolby Digital that I could find. I checked all the premium channels. HBO used to have DD5.1 on it's SD channel, but no more, I guess.

There also used to be a bug in the ALTERNATE AUDIO. When you had anything other than English chosen DD5.1 would not be sent from the receiver even if there was no alternate audio on that setting. This bug seems to have been fixed. I tried it on several channels. Again I first noticed that bug on HBO SD. not HD way back when DD was new to Dish.

Hope that helps

Reactions: rodder
This is the way mine is set and wired up and my sound bar has a light when it gets 5.1 but it is not coming on I think there is something wrong with this receiver about ready to Hop up to a Hopper!

Reactions: ncted
What is the difference between Line and RF in the Dish settings, volume leveling is grayed out on Line? Thanks ron

My 722 optical audio output is hooked direct to my Sony A/V receiver. My Sony displays exactly what the audio is. A tv show may show up as Dolby 5.1 and the commercials may drop to Dolby 2.1 or 2.0. One concert on AXS or Pallidia only came through as Dolby 2.0. But almost everything I watch a night in HD is 5.1. Sound & Vision made a comment about a year ago about the majority of TV's limiting the optical audio output to Dolby 2.1 to avoid paying the licensing fees for the other formats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)