722 and 722k

722 is a step up from the 622 and does have the ota tuner built into the receiver. The 722k is a next generation of the 722 receiver. It's ota tuner is not built in and must be purchased separately, but it does allow ota on both tv1 and tv2 whereas the 722 unit only has the tuner for tv1.

With the 722K OTA tuner module, you can record 2 OTA and 2 Sat programs at once (total of 4). 722 only 1 OTA at a time.

The OTA tuners were always available on Dish HD boxes because Dish did not have many HD LIL's for many years. The built-in OTA was a way of providing customers with their local stations in digital or HD, otherwise, they might have lost a sale.

Today, Dish offers HD LIL in something like over 80% of the country, now. I do remember a very impressive percentage being cited on the last Charlie Chat. So the extra expense of a built-in OTA no longer makes economic sense on the latest Dish STB's. However, if a sub wants the added feature of recording even more digital HD local stations, or recording 2 OTA channels while recording satellite channels at the same time, the option is available to purchase the OTA module providing two OTA tuners.

If one does not yet have HD LIL, then Dish would recommend the 722 or other box with a built in OTA. If none of those boxes are available, then $29 buck for the OTA is not bad. Dish just figures the vast majority of subs just don't need or care for an OTA on the box any longer.

IF they assume that many people don't need or care for an ota on the box any longer they would be dead wrong. THis is an essential for any sat customer. How many times do you lose your signal in bad storms? Ota helps you stay connected to your local stations for weather alerts etc. When Hurricane Humberto hit my home town of Nederland ,Tx a couple of years ago , my satellite channels were gone , but luckily my 722 was tuned to an ota channel that was discussing the hurricane. This was at around 2:30 in the morning. We were expecting a small tropical storm and not a hurricane . IF it wasn't for my ota tuner I wouldn't of known why my mobile home was rocking. Now also it is great to be able to record up to 4 channels at one time. Especially since my locals are all in HD now during prime time. This has saved me many a conflict on Mondays & Thursday Nights. I hope that they will always offer the ota module or built in ota tuners for the DISH receivers .

Another reason for an OTA is the digital sub-channels that a lot of the local broadcasters are using.

In Columbus:
NBC transmits on 4.1 but also transmits a great retro channel RTN on 4.2.
ABC transmits on 6.01 but also MYTV on 6.02.
CBS transmits on 10.1 but also transmits live doppler radar (a good thing for a pilot) on 10.2
The local PBS channel WOSU transmits on 34.1 but also transmits 2 sub-channels. 34.2 Ohio House and Ohio Senate, 34.3 retro and reruns of PBS progs including This Old House, etc and also concerts.

And that just in lil ol backwards Columbus, Ohio. I'd hate to see what broadcasters are using in Chicago, Atlanta or the big ol cities.

Until Dish starts rebroadcasting ALL the local channels then an OTA receiver will be required. I spent the entire day yesterday rewiring my internal distribution network to allow DSS up, modulator down and UHF up to my new 722k in the bedroom. I'm sure glad I looked at the receiver and asked where it the OTA input? He, luckily, had one on his truck. Plugged it in and voila!

I had a 622, then went to a 722 for the larger space. Traded in my 722 for a 722k so I could record 2 sat and 2 ota programs at once. This is the best dvr I have EVER owned.

I think Dish left the module out to follow Directv's steps in saving a little dough and charging us the same. I have to think OTA people are in the minority. I know a few people with sat and none have an antenna.

How do you record two satellite and OTA channels at the same time?

Hi,

I just had a VIP722K with the OTA module installed today. How do you record two satellite and two OTA channels at the same time? Very confusing...

Thanks!

I had a 622, then went to a 722 for the larger space. Traded in my 722 for a 722k so I could record 2 sat and 2 ota programs at once. This is the best dvr I have EVER owned.

I think Dish left the module out to follow Directv's steps in saving a little dough and charging us the same. I have to think OTA people are in the minority. I know a few people with sat and none have an antenna.

Was there a fee to go from the 722 to 722K (other than having to buy the OTA module)?

Was there a fee to go from the 722 to 722K (other than having to buy the OTA module)?

Hi,

I am a new customer, there was no difference in cost between the 722 and 722K except I had to pay $30 for the OTA module. I don't know about existing customers.

Some 722k see 61.5 only because of software. I cringe now when I see one one a work order.

If I understand what you said correctly, I totally disagree. The 722K can see any one of the 8-9 satellites that it might be directed towards by your particular dish.

OTOH if you are saying that the 722k must have a software upgrade before it pulls in 61.5, that might be the case.